Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My Recon 250 ES Shifter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 03:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

You do not adjust that clutch adjuster "to it's limits" can't remember which way (different models vary) but adjust until "resistance is felt" then back off about 1/4 turn. There is no magic about non 420 auto electric shifts, a motor turns the shift shaft instead of your foot, the angle sensor tells it when to stop turning, and spring pressure fetches it back to centre like on the foot change. If you change with the emergency shifter, you are going to get a fault code, as the angle sensor detects movement when you haven't pressed the button. If you can change OK with the emergency shifter, but can't electrically, something is wrong electrically, if you can't change manually something is wrong manually. Difficult to be certain as the motor drag makes emergency shifting heavy. If I think it is a manual fault I take an ES gear out behind the ES motor and then see then how easy it shifts manually.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my problem is not in adjusting the clutch as it is that whe3n it gets to third it stops shifting we tore it down found a loose bolt tightened it down and then the unit would shift again. we put it back together everything was working correctly then it stopped shifting again into 4th and 5th gear. we stood it up again and sure enough that bolt was loose again! not sure if there should be lock tight on this screw or something to keep it tight. i have found one video on it and i think the guy in the video said lock tight to keep it secure but i am not sure it was the same bolt or not it something below the lever that controls the shift. all the mechanics in it manual or electric all move the same parts so if one doesn't work the other is not going to work either if there is something wrong internally

Old 12-07-2020, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Exactly, as I wrote above if you can't change manually, something is wrong with the manual part of the mechanism. I assume the bolt in question is that one in the centre of the star wheel. Common for it to come loose, and I always Loctite it back in. In fact I use threadlocker on oil pipe and timing chain tensioner bolts in the clutch housing if I remove them too, as a loose bolt inside the engine could cause considerable damage. I have an old model 420 gearbox in bits at the moment, worn 4th gear dogs and selector fork, Honda seem to have treadlocked the bolts in the clutch housing on this, they didn't on previous models.