Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda Rancher ES Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Honda Rancher ES Shifting Problems

2006 Honda Rancher ES with shifting problems. The problem starting intermittently and gradually got worse, at first it was having a hard time shifting down. When the shift buttons were pressed it made a noise at first coming from the shift motor so then we thought the clutch may just need adjusting. After adjusting the clutch the bike was fine shifting down but then struggled a bit going up in gear. The bike wasn't throwing a code at first but i've read many forums on this problem and some say it's the angle sensor and others said to take the shift motor off and clean it. I took the shift motor off last night to clean it (the copper part was completely black) which I know was probably not good for it. Once I got it put back on the bike and took it for a test run, it problem seemed worse. It shifted to Reverse just fine, back up to Neutral and then got stuck in 1st gear. At this point it was throwing a code, blinking 3 times which appears to be a code 3, angle sensor. Could not get the bike back into Neutral with shift buttons, it was like it was locked, and no noise was heard when the shift buttons were pressed this time. Had to use the manual shifter to get it back into Neutral. Does anyone think that this is actually the angle sensor causing this problem or something else???? Ive heard many people say they have replaced the angle sensor and the problem was still there? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone???

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default shift problem

I have had trouble with my 04 Rancher throwing a code and took the sensor off and re installed it and I did not have any problem for a while but it has recently started again. I'm ready to put a hand shifter on it. I question this design

Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=tsuther;3141366]I have had trouble with my 04 Rancher throwing a code and took the sensor off and re installed it and I did not have any problem for a while but it has recently started again. I'm ready to put a hand shifter on it. I question this design[/QUOTE

Ok so after weeks of this shifting headache, I believe I have finally fixed my shifting problem! I ordered a new angle sensor and once that was installed the code 3 instantly went away. No reset needed. Took it for a test run and it shifting decent but still had a little hesitation getting into gear but downshifted just fine. When I purchased this bike (2nd hand) I was told I was able to run automotive oil in it as long as it was the same trade and I did frequent oil changes which I did. Well apparently that info was not true. So switched the oil to particually sythehitic sae10w40 and the wet clutch safe expensive stuff! So did an oil change using that. Following that I adjusted the clutch and the idle and this Honda is running like brand new!! So altogether since initial shifting issue this is what I have done... Cleaned the shift motor, replaced angle sensor, improved grade of oil, adjusted clutch and adjusted idle. Hope this will help others with this same issue. Good luck!