Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone Use Snowmobile Trailers For Quads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still deciding on what type of trailer I want to haul my rancher and recon around on. In a recent post most guys told me to go 6.5x12ft roughly. I know this is generally a utility trailer and can be used for quads as well, but has anyone had any experience with a tilting(side by side) snowmobile type trailer? If so let me know. You replies as allways are much appreciated.

Hogmaster

Old 03-27-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I use a snowmobile trailer. I like it. It is 8 x 10 which is a little big for 2 quads but an 8 x x 8 one would be perfect. They sit low and the back tilts down so you can drive right up on then secure it with a large pin. The only problem is that 8' wide is a little wide if you are hauling in through narrow roads. Also, one good thing about these is that they are so low to the ground they feel very stable around corners.

Old 03-27-2001, 02:45 PM
Range Rover

I use a 8x10 trailer. I like it alot. Mine is aluminum so I dont have to worry about it rusting. I too have a tilt model. It was alittle scarry the first few times putting it on the trailer but now its no problem. It will hold two no quads no problem. I would get this over a util trailer if you have a smaller truck. The util trailers are generally heavier. Also you can hall sleds if you have them. If you dont now in the future you may. They hold their resale well too.

Old 03-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I use my double sled trailer works great. the thing tilts so easy on and off. That is what most guys up here use, makes sense get your monies worth out of the sled trailer.

Old 03-27-2001, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I have used my Father in Laws 8'x10' snowmobile trailer in the past and it worked good to haul one or two machines.

This past weekend we went riding in the Utah desert and like idiots we loaded three machines on my F.I.L.'s trailer (two pulled on straight and one across the back.) Thirty miles down a dirt road I heard a big crash and saw something go flipping through the air. At first I thought the machine on the rear of the trailer had come off. Turned out that we had way too much weight on the trailer and broke the springs right in two pieces, what I saw going through the air was the entire axle. I know this was our fault and had nothing to do with the quality of the trailer but I still prefer my 6.5'x12' landscape type trailer. The reasons why are: It has bigger wheels, hauls more weight, has sides to secure loads, and can haul three machines sideways if needed.

I should have insisted that we take my trailer, but I didn't. In the future I will know better, and hopefully someone else can learn from our stupidity.

We were extremely fortunate that the axle happened to let loose in the middle of nowhere instead of in rush-hour traffic. We were also fortunate that the trailer stayed upright and attached to the vehicle.

I guess the moral of this story should be to pay close attention to the specified load ratings of your equipment. I would also suggest you get a little more heavy duty trailer than you think you'll actually need. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I use one and it works great. I took 3 used sled tracks, cut them and layed them flat on the trailer on the middle, and the two sides. Like This:

Screwed them to the deck. That way, I can drive both quads on the trailer and have wicked traction instead of sliding off. Especially if the tires are muddy or wet. Makes a huge difference, and the sled dealer was more than happy to let me have the old ones for free.

I am hoping to make a spot down the middle to put my bike. I will fashion a wheel chock for the front wheel and may need to McGyver some way to tie it down.

But, I love the trailer. The only complaint is that it is wide, and with the windscreen, you loose a great deal of gas mileage, as it really drags. But I don't know of a better and cheaper way to drag two quads (and a bike) around. You can use a utility trailer to drag two around by putting the front wheels over the front rail (rear wheels in the trailer, and then squeezing the second quad in the rear and tieing it in. I still prefer the double wide sled trailer. You can get some pretty cheap new ones up here in Toronto. Like CDN$950 new.

I would recommend that if you buy a used trailer, take it directly to a trailer dealer, or seller, to have the bearings and axels inspected. Even if the guy you bought it from says that they are perfect, check it out. Replace your bearings every year, and grease them well. The worst thing to happen would be to have one fail and screw up your whole weekend looking for trailer parts. That is why I bought new and get them replaced every year. It's like $50 and peace of mind.

Good luck,

RM

Old 03-28-2001, 01:06 AM
Range Rover

I use a 7'6" by 8 foot snowmobile trailer for two quads side by side and a dirt bike across the back. I have put wood 2x4 pieces under the snowmobile ski clamps so that I can just put the atv front wheels against the raised ski clamps, and wrap motorcycle tie downs around the front bumper of the atv and the ski clamp. Works great.

Good luck,
Lorrin Lee