Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 Foreman Rubicon Blinking Gear Selection/Sputter In Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Foreman Rubicon Blinking Gear Selection/Sputter In Reverse

I'm just now experiencing this problem, and need to get it sorted out as I'm planning on selling this quad. I researched the heck out of it, and never really found a definitive answer or solution.

So basically, when I start the ATV, the gear selection display blinks all three options (D1/D2/ESP) and continues to do so no matter what gear you select. I also noticed that the ATV sputters in reverse, but works fine in forward. I checked the code by putting it in neutral, and while turning the ignition to "on", holding in both manual shift buttons. The "N" flashes on screen a total of 5 times. According to what I found online (I don't have a service manual) it says this is most likely a faulty ECU. However, those who replaced their ECU's with this problem report it not fixing it.

I was hoping it was just the shift angle sensor since it's a cheaper part, but I don't think that's it.

Any advice?

Old 12-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of the time is ECU....I had one that did the same thing an was gear switch.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Pressing both buttons at once is part of a strange "initiation" ritual, for canceling the fault code. Just switch ignition on, count the how many times it flashes before pausing, and check it keeps repeating the same code. Code 5 is angle sensor or seized control motor, not ECU fault. I have found code readings not to be all that reliable an indicator, but you have to start somewhere.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, everyone. I have a shift angle sensor on its way. Figured I would start low $ first and work up from there.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Replaced the angle sensor and performed the reset as outlined on here in another thread (start in neutral, let idle for a minute, shut off...turn ignition on while holding “up” and “down” buttons, immediately release and then press “up” then “down” then “up” then open throttle). When I did this the first time I heard what I thought was the shift motor engaging, but the gear selection kept blinking. I repeated the procedure and it sounded more strained and still showed all gear selections blinking. On the third try, there was no engagement noise, gear selection was still blinking and now the quad barely moves in drive (still sputters in reverse).

So in summary, it now runs worse than before and is no longer usable as is.

Thoughts?

Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you preload angle sensor before install?

Old 01-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Did you preload angle sensor before install?
Nope. Didn't even know that was a step. Will remove and try again.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so I preloaded the sensor this time, and when I turn the key it not longer blinks. So progress. I then initiated the reset procedure and heard the motor initiate, but the hear selection indicator never stoped blinking. I fired it up and then the drive modes started blinking again. Put it in drive and it's driving well again (that was the preload issue I guess), but still sputtering in reverse. So I just shut it off and then turned it back on. Gear indicator is working (even the ESP). Put it in reverse and no sputtering.

So now what? It appears to be working, but I'm confused why the reset procedure didn't work, and actually temporarily made the problem reappear.