Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hey - Over time, occasionally, if I shifted from Auto to Manual, I would get the line

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey - Over time, occasionally, if I shifted from Auto to Manual, I would get the line

2018 Honda Rancher 420 TRA ESP -Help-- Over time, occasionally, if I shifted from Auto to Manual, I would get the lines with no gear, had to turn it off & on to get back to being able to shift, sometimes by rocking it, Finally, yesterday, i couldnt get it out of that mode, cant shift- flashes neutral, then lines. Can change gears with handtool, but only to 2,4& reverse. Code is 15 & im trying to not buy needless parts because seems like electrical?

Old 05-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you change gears with a hand tool?
Do you have a dual clutch automatic?

Old 05-09-2020, 07:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

A small shaft with a hexagon on the end pokes out of the clutch cover between the shift motor and front propshaft. It is a right pain to get the tool on, and there is hardly enough room to turn the special tool, and yes, he mentions "I shifted from Auto to Manual" so an auto it is.

I'm afraid I don't have the manual for either old or new 420 Autos
so can't say what code 15 is. I would ring a Honda dealer and see if they will tell you what code 15 is and what part(s) they think will have failed. However if it won't shift manually properly, it looks like a mechanical fault.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not think that automatics had manual shift tools. After looking at the service manual, I see that they do have, but the tool is not supposed to be used to shift gears in an emergency, like the ES models. Instead, it is used for diagnostic purposes.
The shift drum has a lot more positions than the ES model which makes finding the right position difficult. And the tool will not change clutches so you will be limited to R, 2, 4, or 1, 3, 5 gears. Plus the manual says to use the tool only with the ignition off.

I also looked up the code 15, which is the shift solenoid valve.