Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

After peaking at the Yamaha forum, sure am glad I bought my Honda!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MrC, no hard feelings. If you ever get a chance to, ride a Raptor and you'll really see torque!

Old 05-06-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I really don't care who you are. All that into my modded 250R and I will still be at or under 7 grand. How much is the 720 going to cost? Will you be able to ride it everywhere? Are you going to put a forged steel piston in it?
Aside from the Raptor and your turbo 4 banger and your top fuel motor all being internal combustion, they are all quite different. What application uses forged steel pistons? Any in the atv world? Does anybody even make a forged steel atv piston?
It is funny thinking about you throwing a little hissy fit behind your computer because I don't respect the mighty Guy Hull and all his 10 second lasting turbo motor experience. Don't blow a head gasket. I will be going to Glamis for Halloween. Plenty of time to build your top fuel steel pistoned turbo 720 Raptor. Bring it.

Old 05-06-2001, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I guess you just don't get it. I try and try to explain it to you but you either don't understand or you just ignore it. The whole premise of the forged steel piston was for durability under the stress of a turbo application, that's it. Only for the increased pressure and heat for a turbo motor. Here, last time. I said forged steel for turbos!! The aluminum is fine for all other hi-po ATV applications.

I'm not throwing hissy fits because you don't know who I am. I'm just making a point that before I question someone else's knowledge on a given subject I find out who I'm talking to and how much they know. I don't care if you've got 7k or 15k into your 250R! I'm sure it's a nice bike and that it runs great but when you're comparing stock bikes to modded bikes all bets are off.

Is the configuration of an ATV engine (4 cycle) and a car engine exactly the same? Of course not. Are the principles the same between the 2? Yes they are. The modifications you perform on an ATV engine to increase HP will function the same way on a car engine. Cams, pistons, cranks, rods, valves, etc., etc., function in the same manner as cars. You port and polish heads on your ATV to make power at certain RPM levels (given your needs) and I do the same on cars. I've oversimplified the comparison to save on space so I don't get into a 10 page dissertation on the similarities of ATV and car engines. Because of this oversimplification I'm sure you're going to reply with some smart comment about steel pistons or how an ATV uses a small cam and a car uses a big cam so they're different.

You may have heard of a relatively well known piston company called Keith Black? They'll sell you a forged steel ATV piston. Give them specs on piston height, wrist pin locale, rings, blah,blah and they'll make you one. Hell, they sell pistons for cars, tractors, dozers...

My turbo DSM-->steel pistons
Raptor (non-turbo)-->aluminum
Alcohol Funny car-->aluminum pistons and rods that get chucked after about 2 races because they are inherently weak. Can't handle prolonged exposure to extreme HP conditions

Have fun at Glamis, I'm not coming half way across the country to prove that I know engines. Be it 1 piston or 8.

Old 05-06-2001, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tell ya what , this is why im starting to hate this post, too much bashing, lets use this post for what it is intended for , a way to find answers to questions concerning ATV. If you dont like Honda's fine dont buy one. Honda owners if you dont like Yamaha's DONT buy one. Basically were all ATV riders and lets leave it at that. This site is starting to make me sick.

Old 05-06-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

you run forged steel pistons in your DSM? are you sure they aren't forged alum?

steel pistons are too heavy and would drastically slow down your rev speed. Many people lighten the flywheel or run alum. flywheels in their Integras and DSM's for just this reason. A good forged alum. piston will do just fine in a turbo application.

Old 05-06-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

About the raptor and 400ex problems, give me a break, hands down the 400ex had much fewer problems.. Look at how the A-Arms folded in on raptors.. I heard so many stories of guys crashing when doing 5mph wheelies, because the arms folded in sending the quad into trees..

Yamaha's are better then Po-laris' but hey, Yamaha owners do know, deep inside (as someone else said) that Hondas are built better.

Old 05-06-2001, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Dill, my DSM just runs the stock pistons. But yes, I've built a great number of forged steel pistoned DSM motors. Pure race guys run forged aluminum but they are doing it with the understanding that they're giving up some long term reliability. Others want to run a combo of a 20g turbo but want it to be there for years to come so they go with the steel. Yes it takes a little longer to rev but with a 20g it's less important because you're making the big power on top. Also, when the revs are up they don't drop off as fast between shifts.

Rancher, honestly, you are the first person that I've ever heard of talk about Raptor A-arms bending while coming down from wheelies. Between this board and ********* I've never heard of soft A-arms on the Raptor. I heard 1 or 2 guys get a bent one but they came down pretty hard after getting some pretty decent air.

Old 05-07-2001, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

The bashing in this forum in buggin. I know that I started this post, But my post was in good humor and I respect anyone who rides. Period. Even if they own a Polaris. j/k

I am trying to not come to this site too much anymore. Sometimes it does make me feel like my new 400EX isnt the coolest quad ever, when I want to think it is! (I really do though! I LOVE this thing!!) Everyone should leave this post alone, and be friends. We all share the fact that we love ATVing! Everyone be happy! Talk about our machines positively. Even the other guys machine. Even if It isnt the same brand as yours. I wont bash anymore. (though, I only did ONCE.. and didnt mean anything by it)

Peace.