Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 TRX 90 No Spark

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:44 PM
|
Trailblazer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2006 TRX 90 No Spark

I need a little diagnosis help. Picked this machine up not running. The stator cover was removed and it was weather beaten from sitting for 2 years. I cleaned the carb, put a fresh battery in it and reinstalled the stator...no spark. Cleaned the switches tested the stator and ohmed the coil. The coil tested bad turned out the wire was broken inside. New coil...no spark. I couldn't find good info on testing the stator for this machine. In the past I have ohm tested the stators on other machines but online chatter says voltage test this one. I did ohm test it first and on the Bl/W wire and Y/W which I believe are the CDI trigger wires I got 120ohms. When I voltage tested it I got 5.5 volts AC on the white wire (charge circuit) and .5 volts AC on the two trigger wires. That seemed very low so I ordered a new stator and it read absolutely identical on the ohms and volts when tested...no spark. Any ideas what to test or how to test?

Old Today | 02:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 345 Likes on 336 Posts

0.5v on a trigger coil is fairly standard. 5.5v on the power coil seems a bit low though, they are often over 50v, but I'm not sure what the Honda 90 should be. See what voltage you get with the new stator. Your wiring colour description doesn't sound right. I only have the pre 2005 Manual (no battery on them) but it gives exciter (ignition power) coil as black/red wire and 400 to 800 ohms resistance to earth, trigger (pulse) coil blue/yellow to earth 50 to 200 ohms. Check that black/white kill wire is not earthed with ignition on and that the earth wire to CDI is earthed. Then "if everything tests right but you don't get a spark, it has to be the CDI."