Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX250 EX Igintion Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013 | 08:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX250 EX Igintion Problem

Thanks for reading this. I have a 2005 TRX250EX. The engine died mid ride and has no spark. I took it to the shop and they told me it needed a new stator and quoted me a price I just couldn't afford so I enlisted the help of a garage mechanic friend. We ordered a new stator online and went throuh the arduous task of removing the alt. cover and changing the stator and seals.We put it back together in accordance with the shop manual and darn!! Still no spark. We ran the recommended test for stator and pulse generator resistance and conductivity to ground (or lack thereof) and all checked out (we didn't think to check it before we installed the new stator so I can only assume it was bad). Still no spark. I checked out all the wiring and connectors and all seems sound!! That pretty much leaves the ignition coil and the Electronic Ignition Control Module. In the past I was usually able to test the ignition coil by placing and removing 12 volts across the primary side of the ignition coil and seeing if we get a spark but we didn't get a spark. Looking at the schematic for the machine I noted something about 100 volts from the stator to the ignition coil so maybe the 12 volts I applied and quickly disconnected isn't enough. I just don't know. The aftermarket coils are cheap enough but I hate to waste the money just for the process of elimination. Is there any way to test the coil and/or the EICM without more than a VOM??? Should I just buy a new coil and a new EICM and hope for the best?????? Thanks a Million!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2013 | 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

These coil are AC coils not DC.? have you check kill switch at handlebar? voltage regulator/rectfier.?We need more history if you can give to us...Like did atv just quit running? or did you just trade for it an wasnt running? Has atv been running bad for an while then just finally quit?..etc...

Old 03-16-2013 | 12:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

It was running fine then just stopped running. I changed stator. I also disconnected the two plugs from the ignition control module and tested all wires to ground. No conductivity to ground from either of the two wires on the smaller (2 wire) plug. Conductivity to ground existed on three of the four wires on the four wire plug. The only wire that didn't show conductivity to ground was the blue wire on the four wire plug. Should I get a new Ignition control module? Thanks. Ken

Old 03-18-2013 | 06:30 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

The part number for the CDI for my 2005 TRX250 is 30410-HN6-000. I have access to a CDI part number 30410-HM8-003 which apparently is for a TRX250 for later model year TRx250's Would you know if I can use the 30410-HM8-003 on 2005 TRX250? Thanks. Ken

Old 03-18-2013 | 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO No..since the product code is different HN6 and HM8..Different ignition curve on std 250 and the ex....

Old 04-28-2021 | 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got an 02 Trx 250ex no spark was wondering what the stator ohm reading should be. We have power I installed a new coil, spark plug, kill switch and key. Part of the wiring harness was jacked up. I tested the cdi box from a YouTube video it passed but I still ordered a new one. Anything helps

=cobrajetken;3174452]It was running fine then just stopped running. I changed stator. I also disconnected the two plugs from the ignition control module and tested all wires to ground. No conductivity to ground from either of the two wires on the smaller (2 wire) plug. Conductivity to ground existed on three of the four wires on the four wire plug. The only wire that didn't show conductivity to ground was the blue wire on the four wire plug. Should I get a new Ignition control module? Thanks. Ken[/QUOTE]

Old 04-29-2021 | 01:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 345 Likes on 336 Posts

Not certain about the EX but, apart from the 90, the Recon was the last Honda ATV to use AC CDI ignition, by a number of years. All the others went onto an AC/DC hybryd last century, and full DC for the EFI bikes. So tests for AC ignition systems will work on the 250s. I have never trusted ohm readings from coils. Generally a coil with an open circuit is bad, a coil shorted to earth is bad, anything else is usually OK. I prefer AC voltage readings when you spin the engine over, as a test for stator coils, and again anything seems to work, low voltage outputs, high outputs, nothing seems to be standard. Do the tests in the "help diagnose stator" sticky in the Chinese engines section of the forum and ensure all wires to the CDI test out as they should, if they do, it is a CDI fault.

Old 04-29-2021 | 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

it’s the spotrax, we’ve got power where it’s needed, just no spark. I’ve got a brand new coil because I purchased the bike used with no coil on it.

[ QUOTE=merryman;3452408]Not certain about the iEX but, apart from the 90, the Recon was the last Honda ATV to use AC CDI ignition, by a number of years. All the others went onto an AC/DC hybryd last century, and full DC for the EFI bikes. So tests for AC ignition systems will work on the 250s. I have never trusted ohm readings from coils. Generally a coil with an open circuit is bad, a coil shorted to earth is bad, anything else is usually OK. I prefer AC voltage readings when you spin the engine over, as a test for stator coils, and again anything seems to work, low voltage outputs, high outputs, nothing seems to be standard. Do the tests in the "help diagnose stator" sticky in the Chinese engines section of the forum and ensure all wires to the CDI test out as they should, if they do, it is a CDI fault.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-30-2021 | 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 345 Likes on 336 Posts

The Spotrax is a Recon with different plastics. OK the engine is tuned, and disc brakes on the front, but the engine is almost identical, as is the frame. Be sure you have the right coil, those for later EFI machines are different to AC ignition coils. Are you getting an AC pulse from the CDI to the coil when you spin the engine over? Be warned this one is high voltage.