Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP!!! I Dumped My 300 Today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I was racing around with my bro and I went into a turn hard and kinda out of control and coming out I lost it. STUPID MISTAKE! KINDA FEEL LIKE AN A$$. The front end lifted and I lost my grip. It wheelied all the way up and hit the grab bar. The problem is that the right wheel hit a rock and rolled upside down on its side and on the way down it bent the hell out of the left side of the handle bars. It hit pretty hard and I bent the handle bars back for the time-being to see if everything else was ok. It seemed to be but I was wondering if anyone ever did this and what I should look for. I mean, besides replacing the handle bars, should I look for anything else? I know that the 300 is a tough machine, but I am afraid that I may have bent something else. Please help, I am going out of town with it next weekend. Thanks in advance for the help.

NT

Old 06-10-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

tie rod

i have bent two of those

take your off and have a look

believe me it takes one hell of a crash to bend a chassis.......mind you i have done it

arms are usually indestructable

.....just bent the bars back
remove the funny looking plastic top bits

......if ya collect something really hard ya can bend rims.........done that too

but i imagine you'll be right

just as long as it 'looks' straight.....inspect the bike carefully

believe me they are a strong quad......

i just nut case rider

Old 06-11-2001, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Check out the steering stem. I know I barely bent mine when mine got away from me. I bent my handle bars, but luckily I have a par of renthals on the way. Yup thats right, happened last week. It sucked to since this is the 1st major time I've flipped one. 3rd time I've turned it over, but first time it did something. My dad still doesn't know. Luckily he got a swingarm, hanlebars, axel bearings, footguards, tires, axel, handlebar plastic, and front bumper. Everything was brand new. He paid exactly $300 for it all. I'd like to know anywhere else you can get all of that for $300. The guy he bought it from had no idea what he had. But anyway, my renthals should be here today or tomorrow, hopefully. Oh and he doesn't know I flipped it because I switched the handlebars before he got home. Ain't I smart?

Old 06-11-2001, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Also take a look at the plate ot the end of the steering column ...where the bars bolt to the steering column...and make sure that it is even.. the dude i bought my 250X from must have rolled it a couple of times..really good too...cause the plate was a little crooked. when my dad rolled his polaris, that's what bent too, the plate in stead of the handlebars

Old 06-14-2001, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

check the stearing stem i bent mine on my recon when i hit a tree in 4th wide open

Old 06-14-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

KKKILLER250X: That sounds like it hurt.

I was in 4th and caught some air and landed in a rut. The bike went one way and I went another. While you all are out having fun, I will be nursing my plate and screws in my clavicle. My wife asked if that meant that I was getting too old to ride as competitive as I do. Nah, I told her, it just means that I need more upgrades!

I also have to fix a bent steering stem, handlebars, ALL controls, grab bar, etc. Luckily the front end is OK.

Old 06-15-2001, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

Ouch!

Oh well you've never seen a REAL wreck till you see a 4-wheeler standing straight up against a tree, off a 10 foot bank, with trees, bushes, briars all around you. I've saw the 4-wheeler and the guy that WAS on it, but didn't see it happen. If you've ever rode at Brown Mountain, NC, it was along the dirt road. A guy was riding a dirtbike and fouled a plug. He yelled at the guy in front of him on a 87' 250x. He turned around and steered his ATV off the road and up against a tree. No helmet. The guy is lucky to be alive. No helmet either. All he got was a bruised kidney and a small cut on his leg. If you've ever been there it is before you get to the bridge coming from the parking lot at the top. It was right after the curve before the bridge...or maybe right before the curve. Anyway you'll know if you look at some of the trees along the road. Its the one with a BIG piece of bark knocked off. But even after this wreck, the 4-wheeler is still running great. All that happened to the 4-wheeler was the piece that latches the seat down on the frame bent up, and the grab bar broke off. Thats a Honda for you!