Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 EX Susp. Settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-1999, 05:53 PM
dmh
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new 00 400 EX four days ago. Before I go messing with the stock Susp. settings I would like some info on what other peaple have there's set at and why.
Thanks for any info.

Mark
00 400 EX

Old 10-23-1999, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I have a '99 EX that came to me with the front shocks set at the fourth highest preload setting, this made the front end ride high compared to other quads like a Banshee that has more weight in the front. I lowered the preload to the third and then to the second preload setting, this softened the ride even more and let the quad settle into its suspension more. I ride the dunes and some woods trails and still have only bottomed the shocks on the largest jumps. As far as the rear shock, I have just left it alone, it feels fine for my weight(175) and riding style.

Old 10-23-1999, 10:10 PM
dmh
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply norm440. My preload was also set on the forth highest setting. After I posted the question I went out and turned it down to the second. I havn't had a chance to take it out and ride it real hard since the adjustment but it does seem to ride and soak up bumps better. I'm 6ft 215lbs. There's not alot of big jumps where I ride so I think that will work for the front. Thanks again.

Mark
00 400 EX

Old 10-24-1999, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I also bought a new 2000 400ex. I go over some large jumps and mine's set stock. I weigh 155 lbs. This is my fifth quad. I have been riding for 16 years. I now ride primarily on a motocross track and I myself was wondering if changing the front adjustment would make a difference for bottoming out even though the travel should stay the same. I do not know if it would make a difference on bottoming, but it does make it softer on trails, etc... Let me know what you find out.

Old 10-24-1999, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, guys, if a Yamaha rider can be allowed in here, I might make a couple of comments re shock adjustment that possibly will help. First of all, preload does little or nothing to affect bottomimg out the shocks:it basically gives a stiffer ride to suit one's preference, but not a lot of performance improvement. I believe the 400ex has only preload adj. on the fronts & compression & rebound on the rear. You may want to try running with no preload on the front and do any tweaking on your rear shock for compression. In mx, you could start with about five clicks(I'm assuming there is a 20 click range)& add more or less compression as the track & your riding dictates.If you feel the back end is using up all the suspension add a couple of clicks till it stops.
As for rebound,on my Warrior I have 20 clicks range & I run at 10 for desert & xx which gives a rather slow recovery & eliminates most hard hits and dropoffs, rain ruts,etc. This amount of rebound might not work on mx tracks however, thru whoops or rhythm sections the shock possibly wouldn't return fast enough for the next hit. For those who ride other than mx, if you're experiencing rear end kick up on whoops or stutter bumps, etc don;t be afraid to dial in some rebound on your rear shock; you'll be amazed at how much more control you have.
I run TCS shocks from CT Racing on my Warrior & I couldn't praise them enough for the improvement in handling across the board in cornering,whoops, jumps, and additional speed gained in doing same.
Unfortunately that's the prescription for curing front end suspension problems on your quad, not adding preload.
Well, that's my nickel's worth & it works for me.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 10-24-1999).]

Old 10-25-1999, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks hot_shoe,
I have been bottoming my front shocks a lot. Sounds like the only cure is new shocks.

Old 10-26-1999, 01:31 PM
zr2
Weekend Warrior

Preload DOES make a noticable difference in shocks bottoming out. I agree that this is not a fix but a way to help a bottoming out problem.

Old 10-30-1999, 03:22 AM
Trailblazer

Norm 440ex, when you soften the front of your ex's shocks did it seem to have as much traction going up steep hills or did it tend to spin more. I was wondering what this did to the weight transfer if anything on a hill.
Thanks. Mike

Old 10-30-1999, 04:58 AM
Range Rover

I have been riding in the dunes alot lately and on the hills I get just as much traction as before, especially if I just shift my body weight back a little. I can do this because with the front shocks on a softer preload setting (2) the front end sits lower in the travel which helps keep the front end down and gets the rear a little more traction. It also helps absorb bumps going up the hills since there is less weight on the front end, the softer preload helps the the suspension to be active on even the smallest ripples.

Old 12-10-2000, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

How did you turn the shock adjustment? What tool did you use?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 400 EX Susp. Settings