Old 11-05-2001 | 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

92 250x

Front and Rear wheel bearings...
Rear Axle Carrier shot....
CDI Box fried....

01 400ex

broke foot peg guards where screw attaches to foot peg

---thats about it so far, knock on wood...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2001 | 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yes thats why...Drum brakes are bad when mud, water and sand get in there...also chews your drums up. Ohh well, at least theirs brakes, rather than not any at all. If they stop you, your fine, be happy.

Old 11-05-2001 | 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

o boy i got a whole bunch here!
94 warrior
all new chassis bearings, if its in the frame or swingarm its new or was replaced at some time.
rear shock
stock carb before i gave up, accelerator pump, 2 needle seats
reverse idler gear assembly, that was a pain to fix i had to split the cases
clutch
reverse lever bracket
foot shifter
brake pads, all about twice now
battery, 2nd one (sits to much in the winter)
several clutch cables
throttle cable for my electron carb
4 sets or more of rear tires, and 2 sets of fronts, this not including the stock tires
axle
bearing carrier, yes the whole carrier, and yes the bearings were almost new i have no idea other than i always ride at mach4 why it split in two!

this doesnt include what i have forgotten or have brocken due to rider error, I only included wear and tear items. You have to understand i ride extremely hard and have a highly modded engine and suspension so my acclerated speeds take a heavy toll on the bike. Iam also very picky, for instance i always fix things before they completely break if i catch them when i do maintence or wash it. The only thing i really missed is the carrier ( the carrier split from the caliper mount and peeled back actually into the bearing race) and my swingarm bearings. everything else i discovered before failure was imenent. I always replace stock parts with aftermarket when availiable.

Old 11-06-2001 | 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Frames, swingarms, hubs, every chassis bearing at one point or another. Cases, cranks, tranny gears, seals, bearings, clutch baskets, counterbalancers, clutch plates, flywheels, stators, CDI's, pistons, rings. Tires, wheels, handlebars, levers, seats, fenders, grips....

Ok, how about this. EVERYTHING!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2001 | 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

'01 Rubicon 1500 miles, ridden hard and put away wet.

Let's see.....

2 screws that held the shifter on fell out
I lost a key once...

Can you tell I'm really grasping at straws here? Nothing has gone wrong with my quad, all parts are original, even the brakes.

Can someone please enlighten me on Hondas drum brakes which leak mud and water? I was under the impression they were "triple sealed". I haven't seen this problem on any other Honda I've encountered.

Old 11-07-2001 | 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Bisley,
Most of the southern guyys are the product of imbreeding. They are not too bright. They ride their quads in 2 feet of mud and water for hours at a time. The trail is worthless unless your knee caps are submerged. For the normal individual that may cross a mud hole when they come to it, or cross a creek, it is not an issue. The problem is that these southern guys get to a creek and they do not cross it... they think it is a trail and they stay in it.

Greg

Old 11-07-2001 | 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

Gregsims it ain't nuthin for me to whoop a mans ***? Just How big a boy are yeah?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2001 | 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

To clairfy the 'reverse shift switch' is an electric sensor the ES system uses to make sure you have the reverse cable engaged enough before allowing the ES unit to engage reverse gear, the sensor consists of a brass plunger switch that operate in oil inside the tranny, on the outside is a single post terminal with a ceramic seal for the rubber wire boot to fit on. The ceramic seal broke due to forceful debris ( akin to breaking a sparkplug ceramic, the terminal in the middle stayed intact )

There was no mechanical failure- reverse gear was temporarily unavailable untill that wire got plugged back in

edit added: Just for kicks, my brakes work fine and crazy or not I think stoppies are just fine, 550 pound quad and all with my 200 pound butt on it.

Old 11-09-2001 | 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Oh this hurts! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I had <u>Another</u> broken part, I tore an outer CV boot. Isn't that sort of a badge of honor though??(proof that one goes out in the rough) That took an hour and a half to get fixed, ignoring the trip to go get parts. BTW what's have other dealers reamed folks for for CV boots? I needed one for use this weekend so I ponied a full 20$ boot plus 11$ for new clamps, ( which aren't needed BTW for the first boot change anyhow, I reused the originals.)

While I had the front end apart for the first time it was prime time for inspecting the brakes, bearings, and seals. My brakes were dry, and probably less than 20% worn although I don't know the OEM pad thickness. Bearings smooth and in clean grease(no water), The seals are in top shape.