Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of one reason they didn't use the same tranny as in the Rubicon. After a certain HP rating, a hydrostat system gets heavy FAST, plus if you work it hard (like some will given the Rincon's big-bore engine) the oil has a tendancy to overheat. The solution: a power-shift type transmission, of course. This already has happened in the Agricultural sector. Hydro transmissions are fine for lawn mowers, and smaller tractors, but wherever you have a heavy, continuous load, they don't recommend a hydro. I am not even sure you can even buy a Hydro tractor over 120 HP or so anymore. What most have gone to, are power-shifts. They use a clutch pack, running in oil, to transfer power. This is very much like the Rincon transmission, just on a bigger scale. A hydro is limited by weight, as well as the oil cooling capacity. By making the gear ratios change by means of mechanical gears and clutch packs, and using a torque converter will allow much more power transfer for a given weight, and oil temperature rise. Although new to the ATV industry, it is truly a proven design.

My only concern is complexity. I am sure it will have many advantages over a belt-drive, but simplicity, and the ability of the owner to do his own repairs/tuning will suffer. I do applaud Honda for taking the plunge into something new. You don't get ahead by following what everyone else is doing.

Old 12-10-2001, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

Suposedly the rincons motor is too powerful to use the fluid drive tranny efficiently. That is according to dirtwheels(or was it some other atv mag?).

Old 12-11-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are missing the point, it will be just like a car's 3-speed automatic tranny. Not shift-modes, or transfer case options, but 3 speeds. The Rubicon has a swash plate that makes the transmission more of a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) versus the true 3 speed automotive-like automatic).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]