Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX clutch slippage

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-1999, 09:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the honda mechanics don't recomend the synthetic because of possible slippage...maybe that's proof in the pudding.

Old 11-17-1999, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Norm440EX, Adjust the clutch lever as I mentioned above. There should be a little freeplay (slack), but not too much, in the cluth lever before it disengages the clutch (puts it in neutral as you say). I'd say there should between 1/16 and 1/8 inch of slack in the lever before it acts on the clutch. A service manual might say exactly how much is recommended.

Also as far as shifting without the clutch, that depends on the situation and how good at shifting you are. If you are going up a steep hill and you need to shift fast, shifting wihout the clutch won't work. If you can let up on the gas a little to shift without grinding the gears then its OK. If you can't keep from grinding the gears a even a little, obviously don't do it. I do it in races with my 250R once in awhile, but thats only when I'm in the lead, like usual, and I'm taking it easy. The best way to shift in a situation of a drag race or climbing hill is to slip the clutch as little as possible to keep from grinding gears, that just takes getting used to your machine and knowing how much clutch is needed.

Norm440EX, I also just read your question again and you mentioned it would pop out of gear even if it was the gear you started in. In that case, I would highly recommend going to the Honda dealer you bought it from and telling them, especially if its still under warranty, because that sounds like an internal tranny problem like bent shifting forks or something along those lines.

A transmition problem is not something to take lightly, you can harm the gears if its not working correctly.

Good Luck,

Sickman

Old 11-18-1999, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Norm,
I am sorry, I meant I had posted on clutch slippage before. Not slipping out of gear. I don't know what I was thinking. You should definately follow sickmans advice and have a mechanic check out.
My Blaster once did as you described in your original post, and broke 4th and 5th gears. Kind of an expensive headache.

Thinking back about when I got my 400EX, it seems like I had a shifting problem. I think it was because I was not lifting the shifter with enough force. When you first ride the quad it seems like the tranny almost clicks itself into gear, but it does need a little more than a tap for a positive shift. My problem was shifting into the dead spot between gears not actually slipping out. So, I still think you should check your mechanic/dealer.