Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R vs BANSHEE

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002 | 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

<< You have to do alot of engine
mods to get the HP up on two strokes.
>>

Actaully its the opposite. 2 strokes respond more to mods than 4-strokes ever will. Thats why a piped and jetted banshee will beat a piped and jetted DS.

Old 06-15-2002 | 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

WYODUNER---

The Banshee test in the ATVSPORT mag that pulled 41 RWHP wasn't stock, you need to read the articles, not just look at the pics...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2002 | 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Well, as luck would have it I actually have that issue of ATV Sport. I'll go back and check it out...

Words..... Read the article..... Fine, first it starts with reading ATV articles, next thing you'll want is for me to read the Playboy articles too. Forget it!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2002 | 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

nice to see I can come back to the forums after some time off to see RoostKing still repeatedly bashing the 250R.....

Old 06-18-2002 | 10:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dill,
Im not bashing the 250R, but why would he get a 2 stroke version of the same bike that he currently owns, a 400EX? If he wants to ride the trails and track, his 400EX is perfect for that. IF he wants to ride dunes and fire roads, fast trails, the Banshee is perfect for that. Now he has all bases covered. Would you agree with that or not? Hey, if he wants to find a clapped out 250R that is at least 13 years old, advise him to do that, but he already has a 4 stroke version of the 250R that I have admitted many times is a great track and trail machine.

But just for fun, I am going to bash a few 250R at the track and at the strip this week, just for you!

RoostKing...

Old 06-18-2002 | 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dill,
I see that you have the 2 stroke version of the 400ex. Maybe you can give your insight as too why he should go that route as well. Are they really that different?

RoostKing...

Old 06-18-2002 | 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Give it up RoostKing... If you don't come on here and sing the praises of the 250R it's like going to church on Sunday morning and screaming out in the middle of the sermon that there is no such thing as God.

Old 06-18-2002 | 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Just a few differences between the R and the EX;
R is about 50 lbs lighter
R has more hp in stock trim
R is lower.
I ride my Rs on trails, fire roads, jeep trails (that's pretty hard), and dunes at Glamis, Dumont and the Coral Pinks.
It performs well wherever I go. Usually no more than main-jet adjustments. I've run it in the snow at 6000 feet and 20 degrees, in sand washes in the high desert in 105 degrees. The only performance problem has been going too slow in high heat and it did get hot. So, I shut down, let cool, dumped a little bottled water in (engine running) and took off. Once moving fast enough to get air over radiator, cooled down and was fine, even though it was over 100 degrees!
I'm not knocking any machine, but, for the kind of riding I do, the R is the perfect all-around ride.
If all I rode were dunes, I'd own a Shee.

Old 06-19-2002 | 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

You guy's are killing me!!!! I'm highly amused at all the posts bashing both the banshee and the 250R... LOL!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This is an age-old argument that started way back in the late 80's.

question #1) Does anybody really CARE what the STOCK HP #'s are on these two machines? I mean really.... Who is riding a stocker? And if there is anyone... It probably won't be stock for long!!!
It might be more useful to know how much improvement can be made by what modifications. (You know, the transfer/exchange of USEFUL information)
I was thinking the STOCK R was around 32 to 34 HP... but that's off the top of my head while suffering from CRS (Can't remember squat) My '86 has significantly more than those wimpy #'s

question #2) What would be the intended use for either machine? RoostKings comments regarding the 2 stroke version of the 400EX???? A 400EX has similar suspension geometry, but that's where the similarities end. That's comparing apples to oranges (Sport vs Race) Major power and weight differences!!!! Especially in a heavily modded 250R... Huge power difference!
Guess I've smoked way too many 400's on my tiny little 250 to see the diff.

Yes, IMO a banshee is by far and above the better machine for straight line drag racing, or duning... No argument! Those little bitty pistons crank out some amazing horsepower.
On an MX track... I'll take my R thank you... Before I became too fat/old to race, there may have been a banshee or two get the holeshot, but after that they were eating honda dust.
Plain and simple... the honda out handles, out jumps, and is easy to crank out quick lap times. I've spent equal time on a banshee... it takes way more intestinal fortitude to be anywhere near as fast on an MX track.

Yes, it's really difficult to find a 250R that hasn't been molested and beaten into a pile of ferrule fecal material! Yes, (A Big hat's off to Yamagooch) the banshee is still in production today while the Honda became spine-less and ceased mfg. in '89.
*(Even though the only major update on the banshee came in '88 when the J-arms were updated... The technology has not advanced much otherwise)
From what I've seen, A newer banshee with low hours on it would be much more affordable than a good to decent 250R..

Is it fair to compare a twin cylinder machine against a single with 100cc deficiency? Sure... Go ahead. Depending on what you are doing with it... You'll get happy campers on both sides of the arguement. for that 100cc difference, they hold their own quite well.
There are big mods that make huge HP gains for both machines..It always boils down to cubic $$ and who spends the most. (Biggest $$ invested, typically = fastest machine)

If I were looking for a machine today, I'd buy a banshee because I dune ride exclusively.. but I wouldn't trade my 250R for anything!

Old 06-20-2002 | 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Here is my insight oh so knowledgeable Banshee owner, since you have the 2 stroke version of the Raptor.

-a 250R has much greater potential in the engine department than a 400ex, rivaling even that of the Banshee. (no most 250Rs aren't going to beat a fully dragged out Banshee)

-a 250R is the best of both worlds. snappy 2 stroke power of the Banshee with the handling of the 400ex. He IS used to the handling of a 400ex, so the 250R would logically be an easier quad for him to become accomstomed to.

-he can build a 250R into whatever he wants it to be while replacing the usual cosmetic parts.

The fact remains that 250R's are a better all around quad than a Banshee. Don't get me wrong, I love Banshee's, but even in the dune environment, I'll take my hopped up 250R. One day I might get tired of 'used' quads and buy something new (probably a Banshee if they're still around). If all I did was drag race and ride in area's that were flat and didn't have alot of turns, I'd for sure have a Banshee. But in the dunes, at least the way me and my friends ride, we do alot of jumping and turning.

Of course, thats just my opinion. I guess my 400R is good enough for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 250R vs BANSHEE