Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Automatic Transmissions - Really, How Good and Reliable Are They?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002 | 10:37 AM
|
Pro Rider

I have a bunch of questions for you. I have asked this question somewhat similarly on a couple of other threads so if you think you have seen this question before, you're not imagining things. I appreciate you taking the time to read my inquiry, and I appreciate your responses. Now, to the point of the matter...

On the subject of fully automatic transmissions on quads, generally, how good are they?

Do they tend to slip when riding in wet or muddy terrain? Are they more or less reliable than manual trannies? According to your knowledge and experience, which manufacturer produces the most reliable and/or the least reliable automatic transmissions?

Do they require more/less/same maintenance as manual transmissions? In working or pulling situations, do they fail to put power to the ground adequately? On trails and hillclimbs, do they perform as well?

I have long been of the opinion that a manual transmission is better than an automatic one for the simple reason of reliability. However, more and more quads now feature automatic transmissions. I know that automatic trannies are much more convenient, but are they worth the money?

What's your opinion?

Old 06-20-2002 | 11:29 AM
Range Rover

They are good for the most part. i have a 98 griz with 1600 miles on it and it's still on the first belt. I have 28x12.5 outlaws all the way aroud and drive in the mud and trail ride all the time. i ride with several other brands like the honda Rubicon and it works well also. The advantage that the honda has is that it is hydraulic and is not vented like a belt drive. for mud riding and almost every type of riding you will find that not having to shift the gears is nice, just nail it. some brands are said to have problems with the belt lasting for long, like the polaris, but i know some guys with them that do not have belt problems, or at least they haven't said so anyway.
And yes, i think the autos will put the power to the ground very well. A manual trans mission on a simliar quad will not perform as smoothly as an automatic. The manual is overall more reliable though. Just my $.02

Old 06-20-2002 | 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have had several belt driven ATVs. None have ever given me any problems what so ever. My current atv is a kawi 650 prairie and there is no failure to put power to the ground. It is simply amazing .