Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 750 ex is comming,

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002 | 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

He asked why it was a great trail machine......it doesn't need liquid cooling to do that.

Old 07-11-2002 | 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

last1left... have u ever ridin a raptor??? raptor vs 400ex power is night and day. and the rap is a way better trail machine. come to colorado, we got tons of trails... i'll give u a 5min head start.. then we will see how good ur 400ex is when i pass u in no time at all.
and if i where u i would sell that outta date ex and get a dale or a raptor, or u will be the last one left

P.S. don't mess w/ WYODUNER he will make u look like u take the short bus to school

Old 07-11-2002 | 05:26 AM
Trailblazer

I don't have a 400EX. Don't want a 400EX. But I will give it respect where it is deserved. The raptor a good trail machine....not stock it isn't. Widend the rear end and it may be. I'm talking STOCK here. Liquid cooling isn't needed on a 400EX on a tight trail. It does handle better stock for stock than a raptor. It is a better all round machine than the raptor IMO. The EX will dominate the rappy on the track,and tight trails. The raptor will definately dominate in drags and dunes.

They're both good machines,but I only give them respect where they deserve it.

WYODUNER has yet to prove me wrong that the EX is easily the best trail machine.

WYODUNER has yet to prove me the 400EX can't hang with all the other hi-per quads on the market,in atving areas where some rider skill is involved.

And Wyoduner has yet to make me look like I ride the short bus(DS650) to school.

All he has done is make the ignorant statement that the EX can't still compete with quads today. When it obviously can still win at the tracks and trails and harescrambles. I remember a few times KNOWSALOT saying that the EX took the gold a few times in his class.

Also Wyoduner says that liquid cooling effects how good a trail machine the EX is. Liquid cooling cools more efficiently,and enables higher revs. Which unless conditions are very bad air cooling cools just fine. The EX doesn't need anymore power for the trails than it already has except for fireroads,which aren't techically trails.

Old 07-11-2002 | 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing like a good old fashioned urinating competition.... Anyway:

Wyo said: Why is the 400ex EASILY the best trail machine out there??? Because of it's lack of
reverse? Lack of power?? Lack of liquid cooling??? 5-speed tranny???? Because it has
nearly identical reliability as the other Japanese built quads????? Please explain. >>

Last1left said:
1.Excellent stability.
Wyo said: Not the best though. A Banshee is more stable and so is a Z400 or Bombardier due to the wider/longer stances.

2.Excellent Handling.
Wyo said: Not the best though. The C-Dales or Z400 are equal or better.

3.Liquid Cooling? How does liquid cooling effect if its a good trail machine or not? Besides higher revs,which it doesn't need for trails?
Wyo said: I'll explain this to you in a minute. You really do require a lot of education, don't you.

4.Not all Jap based companies are as reliable as Honda.....i'm not going to get into that issue.
Wyo said: Actually, you should take a look at JD Powers web site. While they don't rate ATVs they do rate automobiles and you will find only 1 Honda winning an award and that is the CR-V for best mini-SUV in initial quality. Honda's initial quality and long term reliability ratings fall between 3 and 4 stars (average to above average) out of a 5 star scale. So please, get off the Honda soapbox when it comes to reliability BS. It simply is not true. I get so friggin sick of hearing how relaible Hondas are... Well wake up people - THEY ARE NOT THE MOST RELIABLE. PERIOD. I'm not making this up, it is readily available on JD Powers website.

5.PLENTY power for trails it doesn't need anymore,except for wide open trails but thats more like a fireroad.
Wyo said: Not the best though. Any other 400cc or larger ATV has more power. Actually, I would say it has enough power until you come to a long steep hill. Still, it is at the bottom of the heap as far as power is concerned.

Face it, the 400ex is behind the new breed of high performance quads. It is not the "BEST" at anything.

Now about liquid cooling. Liquid cooling does a few things. First, it helps to maintain a consistent engine temperature. This means that a machine can be built to tighter tolerances since there is less temp fluctuation. Tighter tolerences are required for higher performance. Also, liquid cooling with a fan means that you are unlikely to overheat even if you are sitting still all day with the engine running... It's like a car. The Banshee has no fan so it can't sit and idle. Liquid cooling helps to avoid hot spots in the engine and again this leads to being able to build an engine with tighter tolerences. Heat is the killer of performance and engines and air-cooled engines have no way of regulating this heat build up if there is no airflow over the engine and the quad isn't moving. Consider your self driven to school - on the short bus.

Old 07-11-2002 | 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Last1left, I forgot to ask. What do you ride? How many different quads have you owned? How many differnet quads have you ridden?

I'm really curious to know where your wealth of knowledge and experience comes from.

Old 07-11-2002 | 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

<< Last1left said:
1.Excellent stability.
Wyo said: Not the best though. A Banshee is more stable and so is a Z400 or Bombardier
due to the wider/longer stances.
>>

A bnashee more stable HAHAHAH. Yea the banshee and EX handle almost identical...right. Bombardier.....if you can find some trails it'll fit through,i'll try it. I have heard several times the Z400 does not handle as well and the back shock bounces you up and down like a pogo stick.

<< 2.Excellent Handling.
Wyo said: Not the best though. The C-Dales or Z400 are equal or better.
>>

From what I have heard the Z400 back shock is sprung too tight and the EX handles better. Hmm whats the OTD price on the blaze is like what $8,000 and the EX 5,985 2000 dollars can imrove handeling alot if put into the quad.

<<

4.Not all Jap based companies are as reliable as Honda.....i'm not going to get into that
issue.
Wyo said: Actually, you should take a look at JD Powers web site. While they don't rate
ATVs they do rate automobiles and you will find only 1 Honda winning an award and that is
the CR-V for best mini-SUV in initial quality. Honda's initial quality and long term reliability
ratings fall between 3 and 4 stars (average to above average) out of a 5 star scale. So
please, get off the Honda soapbox when it comes to reliability BS. It simply is not true. I
get so friggin sick of hearing how relaible Hondas are... Well wake up people - THEY ARE
NOT THE MOST RELIABLE. PERIOD. I'm not making this up, it is readily available on JD
Powers website.
>>

You believe everything you read don't you? I believe the original condition 250Rs that are still around running,not what the Jd power thing has.New Honda automobiles have V-tec Engines not even close to the engines in their quads,so that don't hold much water.

<< 5.PLENTY power for trails it doesn't need anymore,except for wide open trails but thats
more like a fireroad.
Wyo said: Not the best though. Any other 400cc or larger ATV has more power. Actually, I
would say it has enough power until you come to a long steep hill. Still, it is at the bottom of
the heap as far as power is concerned.
>>

You asked what made it a good trail machine....it HAS PLENTY of power for trails. Does not need a drop more. Yes it IS at the bottom of the heap on power,but thats not my arguement. I say its the best trail machine for the buck. So,you are going back on what you said,failing to prove me wrong. I never said it had the best power,but enough to be a great trail machine. It dosn't need anymore power to be a great trail machine,thats my arguement,not that it is top in power.

<< Face it, the 400ex is behind the new breed of high performance quads. It is not the
&quot;BEST&quot; at anything.
>>

It is one of the best,if not the best 4 trails. I said it can still be compared to modern day quads,which it can track and trail. You said it can't be compared to modern day quads,which is wrong,while it still wins at trails and tracks.

<<

Now about liquid cooling. Liquid cooling does a few things. First, it helps to maintain a
consistent engine temperature. This means that a machine can be built to tighter
tolerances since there is less temp fluctuation. Tighter tolerences are required for higher
performance. Also, liquid cooling with a fan means that you are unlikely to overheat even if
you are sitting still all day with the engine running... It's like a car. The Banshee has no fan
so it can't sit and idle. Liquid cooling helps to avoid hot spots in the engine and again this
leads to being able to build an engine with tighter tolerences. Heat is the killer of
performance and engines and air-cooled engines have no way of regulating this heat build
up if there is no airflow over the engine and the quad isn't moving. Consider your self
driven to school - on the short bus.
>>

Blah Blah Blah.......Liquid cooling isn't needed to keep it cool on trails....which doesn't effect it if its a good trail machine or not.
Unless your're sitting in one spot....which I wouldn't do on a trail.

Consider yourself run over-by the short bus.

Old 07-11-2002 | 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

ok last1left go to wyo's web site and under vids, in the walden section download the &quot;Raptors, 400ex and LT250R Racing again: 1.6 Mb&quot; and see just how cool the 400ex really is.

wyo makes u look like u have been on the short bus for years dude!!!!

Old 07-11-2002 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

last1left,

Man you guys must be in a typing contest cause they just keep getting longer and longer. Ill make this one short.

this is how I see it

last1left = 1
wyo dunner= 4

Just my opinion on points made vs. rebuttles

my thoughts.....400EX sux in the woods, cause you could get outrun by a chipmunk with a mouth full of pine-nuts.....How do you like them apples?
Punk!

Old 07-11-2002 | 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

All he has done is make the statement that the 400EX isn't good at trails,which is wrong.

I bet that race is at the dunes isn't it.......THATS NOT MY ARGUEMENT.
T R A I L not D U N E S.
\Wyoduner has made a statement ha can't back up,enough said.

Old 07-11-2002 | 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

There's no such thing as pinenuts.

Quick Reply: honda 750 ex is comming,