Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 12:24 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Originally posted by: action450s
DOOD,
No one here gives a @@@@ what your opinions are, if you don't like it don't buy one.
It's a shame we're not all as flawless as you.
Quote from action450s " It's called being polite."

Ok, then stick to bashing the machine and not the person.

Chet

Old 12-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

So discussing Honda's shortcomings is considered "bashing"? or do you mean "Blasphemy?"
. Every other forum tries to identify problem areas or shortcomings to fix or avoid them. I chose not to buy a Rincon, which I had ordered, because of the shortcomings of its transmission, no low range and no engine braking are serious deficiencies (sucks) IN MY OPINION, and most other people's as well.
. I ride with a Foreman ES that has been plagued with shifter and computer problems the dealer can't resolve, (that really sucks) and have heard of others like it.
. From this experience I conclude that choosing an S model instead of an ES is a profoundly good piece of advice. With the addition of switchable 2wd/4wd the Foreman S is looking pretty good.
. A friend with a Rubicon has had good luck with his, so far, and the Ruby tranny may end up being the best of this silly alternative automatic lot. Maybe it will end up in the Rincon.

...But, according to action450s, discussing problems or inadequacies seems to not be allowed here in Honda land, so I won't even bring up drum brakes, inadequate suspension, and no competitive sport quad, because Honda is so perfect in every way.

Brand Loyalty to the point of reverence is absurd.

Just for the record; Coolant leaks suck, broken trannies suck, etc. That's not bashing, that's just the plain truth. Bashing is unfounded criticism. Honda guys do it in all the other forums. But criticism isn't allowed here, even if it is based on facts and experiences eh?

. Holy, Holy Honda!

. How dare I come in here and say something bad about a Honda! Blasphemy!

Old 12-02-2002, 01:43 PM
RIP Dear Friend

LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

fourlix,

Maybe, I used the wrong word to describe my meaning.

Its the personal attacks that I don't like to see posted such as action450s did above . It serves no purpose other than to usually end up with another attack response.

I mean I have an 01 Raptor and that being said its not going to stop me from riding it.

In fourlix defense I wouldn't buy an ES rancher either. Now if I loose my foot then I am going to change my tune.

Chet

Old 12-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Alright, I appologise for the personal attack.

Point still stands that your not helping by stating that Honda Transmissions suck. If you want to start a good debate on the subject start a new post. I have no problem with that, as I believe that no manafacturer, person or object is perfect, and would love a good debate. Having all this here does not help the original poster with his problem.

I don't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't try to help someone out by stating that what he/she bought sucks. Start a new post, there's lots of room on these boards for this. As for all the @@@@ about the almighty Honda, well that's for you to decide, I'm not saying your right or wrong, but am just pissed because this is the wrong place for it. A new post in this forum would be better.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I guess I don't understand it either. A Yamaha owner coming to the Honda forum, and complaining about his personal preferences being Honda design flaws or problems, as if the Raptor has had no transmission problems themselves! I have pulled 3 raptors back to the parking lot with burnt clutches using my non-servicable transmission (which has yet to have a problem, which translates to "what does it matter how expensive it is to replace if you never have to replace it?"). But I am not posting anywhere that the Raptor sucks, etc. And I believe what the other poster is trying to say that your posts contribute nothing to the original intention of this post. No one is saying that you opinion is wrong, it's just not relevant to this topic.

Old 12-02-2002, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have a neighbor with a Foreman ES, and it occasionally will lock up in gear. We have finally have managed to figure out a few things.

Did the display still indicate which gear you were in, or was it blank. Neighbor's always just showed a dash ( - ) where it would normally show which gear he was in. Shutting off the keyswitch, and wiggling all the connectors in the junction box behind the seat & battery terminals has so far always gotten it going again. I am no mechanic, but this leads me to think that somewhere the computer/shift modulator got either a power lag or surge, making it go wacky. Cutting the power, and making sure the connections were tight allowed the computer to 'reset' and get the proper voltage where it needed to be. Another possibility might be a sensor going bad, and shutting it off allowed the computer to compensate, but then again, not having a repair manual, we are forced to just guess as best we can.

So far EVERY Foreman ES I have seen with over 1000 miles has had the ES feature act up. However, in every case except one, the dealer has fixed it satisfactorily.

My cousin with a Rancher, had a similar experience (stuck in one gear) that was also cured by shutting off, and checking the connections. From what I have seen, the Ranchers don't seem to have near the troubles the Foremans do. Could be because the Foremans generally see harder use.

Farmr

Old 12-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Okay let's not talk about Honda Transmissions in a thread about ,,eh,, a Honda Transmission. Even if it is about a transmission that has been in use for awhile, and now being used in a new model, and having the same problems it has had all along. That would be off-topic...?
... I have nothing to contribute to RedRiderY2K's problem, if I did I would surely help my friend with his Foreman ES, who has been struggling with it for over a year now.
....For the many who read this thread besides RedRiderY2K there is going to be someone who might benefit from the experience of many, that the ES can be problematic as compared with the S, and that shifting with your toe instead of your thumb can save you some dough and perhaps some problems down the road. These comments are NOT off-topic.

Blind Faith and Denial are not what these forums are about. If you want to talk about Blown trannys in Yamaha land you will not find the Yamaha faithful denying anything. No one is more upset about Polaris 700 coolant leaks than their owners. Nobody wants a lighter DS than its' owners.

Honda has chosen a rocky path with its' "innovative" transmission designs. Automatic transmissions, as we have seen in the automotive world, can be downright scary, and very expensive to fix. Right now Honda has three distinctly different designs, hopefully one will shine through and become the trustworthy, reliable component like the kind that Honda has built it's reputation on. Otherwise, it is back to the drawing board.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I never said it was off-topic. I was simply reacting to your rant about Honda decisions as problems (no engine-braking, trannys (that don't fail) that have to be shipped to CA)etc), that contribute nothing to the post. Funny how you can spew forth your opinion about Honda, but if I reply that it's innapropriate, you talk about blind loyalty, etc, and start condeming my post. I'm just saying that a poster's question or concern is not the proper forum for you to let loose with every (perceived) shortcoming of that manufactor. Start your own darn post with your comments, and see how many people give a dang. I wanted to understand this posters issue, and see what folks have to contribute towards helping him. I really don't think many of the posters care about your opinions on Honda's design and marketing decisions, and they don't contribute much to this post. You don't own a Rancher, and just seem to use any post about a problem to let loose with your opinions. So, I just wanted to let you know that the Honda and/or Rancher owners who are reading this post would prefer to not have to sift through these kinds of responses. Just like I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate me launching into a anti-Yamaha speech on a post of yours on a Raptor axle issue, or clutch problems, etc. And notice I am not saying that you can't respond, just that it is my opinion is that shouldn't, and like your posts, you can take my opinion for whatever you think it is worth. Remember, RedRiderY2k asked if anyone could help, not explain their reaction to Honda's design philosophy.
Sorry, I'll get off of my soapbox now, and if I offended you, that was not my intention, but I will worry about it as much as you worry about how your posts are receieved.

Old 12-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well I do think that it is relevant to the topic when a transmission known for problems, the ES, which is newly available in the Rancher, starts having the same kind of problems that it has had in the Foreman.
........That is what drew my attention to this thread in the first place.
The ES tranny sucks in the Foreman, and guess what? It's gonna suck in the Rancher too! That is relevant to anyone thinking of buying a Rancher, and anyone thinking of buying a Rancher might just have a look at this thread.
. There are many more people on here than just you and me and RedRiderY2K. Perhaps they might like to know that Honda has problems too, and that maybe certain models should be avoided, like any ES.

Since when is every post on this forum specifically a Question and Answer response? NOT!

Since when is ANY post on this forum a specific Question and Answer response? NOT!

This is a Forum, with a wide variety of opinions and personalities, get used to it. You are pretty dam long winded yourself. You are trying to make up your own rules and criteria for this forum, or at least this thread. What I have said is relevant to the issue, You are just a whiner. What have you contributed to this thread other than bitching at me? NOTHING!

Years ago I learned to not answer the door when Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons came knocking,,,,
So now I guess I'll just put Honda fanatics like you in the same category.
..... Free your mind, and get over this "Honda is Perfect" bullcrap!

Old 12-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

so I won't even bring up drum brakes, inadequate suspension, and no competitive sport quad, because Honda is so perfect in every way.
"no competitive sport quad"...
you on drugs or something? have you ever heard of the 250r? or how about the 400EX. if im not mistaken, isnt the 250r teh most-used racing quad?? and why isnt the 400EX a "competitive sport quad"???
you screwed up man

Quick Reply: Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?