Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Our rancher es stuck in 5th gear today and when we finally got it out of gear, no gears would engage. It has approximately 2000 miles on it and has never done this before. We tried the manual shifter but it wouldn't engage any gears either. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it/how much did it cost??? Thanks for any and all help!

Old 11-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

almost sure the problem is in the elec portion of the shift mechanism(located at front of motor...have seen a few dificulties, but never a true trans problem...call a reputable Honda dealership and ask about thier experience

Old 12-01-2002, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

That never happens to the S models, even though they cost $200 less. Kinda makes you go "Hmmmm."

Old 12-01-2002, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

being a semi - versed tech on honda ranchers---there is a product improvement on what is called a GEAR SHIFT PLATE--your unit probably falls under that campaign---if it does'nt--- have your REPUTIBLE dealer call AHM TECH LINE and advise them of the problem---can almost 98 percent be assured AHM will take care of any expense necessary to repair the problem other than ABUSE---you did not give your year/model / that would have helped ----good luck---it should'nt be a problem though ---later

Old 12-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

The Foreman ES tranny is plagued with problems, electrical, mechanical, and computer. So now these problems are going to rear their ugly heads in the Rancher ES too. The S is the only way to go in both model lines, I never did understand what was so great about using your thumb to shift instead of your toe.... What the hell were they thinking?

Old 12-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

And while I'm at it. What is with all these screwwy Honda transmissions? The Rincon has no engine braking, the ES is junk, the Rubicon tranny has to be sent to California because it is not dealer servicable.
Why are they going to such great lengths to avoid a belt trannsmission? Why not just design their own belt trannsmission?
Ah, yes, I see, that would be admitting that belt CVT's do work, and after all, they are HONDA, they have to do it their way, even if it is the WRONG way.
Honda, reliable motors, crap transmissions. Sorry guys, I call it like I see it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

DOOD,

Call it like you see it back in the Yammie Forum. If your going to post at least have the courtosy of posting with facts or useful information. No one here gives a @@@@ what your opinions are, if you don't like it don't buy one. All models of all bikes will have problems along the way. The Kawi 650 eats belts, the Pol 700 leaks coolant, the '01 Raptor eats gearboxes...etc.

There are lots of people here who have ES machines that work flawlessly, like anything there are a few that break. Same with the fluid drive autos in the 500 and new 650 honda.

It's a shame we're not all as flawless as you.

Anyway, maybe someone else can get this back on track and give the poor fella some advise on how to fix his bike? Someone explain the sensor that comes unpluged on the transmission?

Old 12-02-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

OOOOoooo gee sorry action450s, I guess I took the Holy name of Honda in vain eh?
Sorry, no criticism of the almighty Honda allowed here on the Holy-er than thou Honda Forum.
Fact is Honda has an ego problem, and it seems to be most apparant in their transmissions.
A bit of useful information is to stay away from the ES and go for the S in the Foreman and Rancher lines.
Use your toe instead of your thumb, save some dough and avoid problems later.
I almost bought a Rincon, guess why I didn't? I'll spell it out for you,,,, t-r-a-n-s-m-i-s-s-i-o-n s-u-c-k-s no low range, no engine braking.
Yeah, every line has its problems, that's why we talk about them on these forums. Coolant leaks are openly discussed on Polaris, How many threads on Raptor trannies? Lots.
So Sorry (NOT!) if I violated some code of ethics bringing up a weak/sensitive/sore point on Honda's immaculate existance.

Old 12-02-2002, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the code of ethics in any forum is not to bash someone's machine like your doing by saying his ES sucks. I don't go to the Pol forum and reply to someones coolant problem post "yeah all 700's suck because they leak coolant". If I know some info that will help the person, I'll post that, and not bash them on their choice of product. Same goes for the famous '01 Raptor problem, i'm not going to bash someone on their choice of bike, but if I can help I will.

It's called being polite.

Old 12-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason the Rincon trans are not field serviceable are the same reason in the beginning that the Rubicon's trans was not a serviceable item also. Honda wants the bad ones back so they can see the problems first hand and correct them quickly. Honda quality. It also gives them the cores so they can offer remans at a later date.

We have a Rubicon and a Rancher ES 4X4 and neither has ever given us a second of trouble.

One thing about coming from another forum to the Honda forum is it is deffinatly a step up from where you were!

01 Red Rubicon (The Tow Truck)
02 Red Rancher ES 4X4
When you get there, there you are!

Quick Reply: Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?