Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Delete the thread??? WHY? Is it THAT offensive to you? If so, don't read it. Besides going by your sig. you don't even own the machine in question anyway. And, who is the favor for? Honda owner's that refuse to believe that mechanical machines have problems even though it says HONDA on the side?

Old 12-04-2002, 12:39 AM
The Facility

Whoa.....This is a hot topic.

The ES models do have their share of problems. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone who plans to make a quad purchase their ONLY quad purchase and used for work purposes becausese it has shown to have more problems than their S models.......Not an opinion.......An observation from what I see everyday in the shop by those who use them.

First of all, like someone else here mentioned....There is a recall that applies to 2000 and 2001 model Ranchers regarding the shift plates. Older models with problems ususally are fixed by implementing this update.

Secondly, Honda once again updated the transmission for 2003 because alot of 2002 models were found to stop shifting completely. The problem is with the detent spring. Honda hasn't officially announced this update yet and might not, but we have found that replacing this spring in an '02 with one from an '03 takes care of the problem.

Foreman models [earlier models] were affected by more than a few updates. A call to your dealer will let you know if yours falls into this serial number range.

The Rubicon trannys are sealed units that require sending off for repair. No reasoning has ever been given as to why. Only Honda knows for sure.

Parts sales of electrical componets on the ES models are the tell-tale sign that there are indeed big problems with the system regarding liability. I am sure that Honda will get it together eventually, but right now, I wouldn't recommend one to anyo0ne wanting a machine for work use only and to keep for the long haul.

My .02

Old 12-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I couldn't resist....

I have to agree with Fourlix on this one. He was not bashing Honda - he was stating that the ES can be problematic and buyers should beware. That's not bashing.

Also, it is one of my pet peeves that many Honda owners are so brand loyal that they are blind to the competition. I am not aware of any quad that Honda builds that the other manufacturers don't have a better version of. Honda may be a sales leader but they are at the very bottom of the pack when it comes to price, performance anbd features. People wouldn't tolerate this if Honda built their cars this way, right??? Suppose the Honda Accord came with a 3 speed automatic, drum brakes, no ABS and only 150 HP... They wouldn't sell any but the Rincon seems to sell and people praise it even though it is the equivelant of my theoretical Honda Accord. Go figure???

I also believe that a lot of Honda fans won't admit when they have trouble with their quad for fear for defaming the Honda name...

Don't even get me started on Honda's attempt at a Sport quad; the 400ex. It was fine in '99 when it came out but was quickly blown away by every other manufacturer. Yes, I'm sure it is reliable but a block of wood is reliable too - the point being the 400ex is so basic and simple it's hard not to be reliable.

Speaking of reliability, I still don't believe there's enough of a difference in reliability to justify buying something overpriced and underpowered, low-tech and outdated as most of Honda's line is.

Honda's attempts at "pushing the envelope" with their ES shifting and Rincon 3 speed auto are failures in my opinion. The continued use of drum breaks, no locking diff in their utility models amazes me - why can't they get with the program???

Oh, and if I hear about the legendary 250R one more time I'll puke. Sure 13 years ago when Honda buckled under and quit making them they were a fine quad. Even though in stock form they were the slowest of the class and their frames are prone to cracking they were still a nice machine. Again, nobody races a stock or even close to stock 250R anyway.

I'm done.

Old 12-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You guys are proving one point, and missing another. I read your posts, notice that most don't even own a Honda, but are here advising the Honda owners on the Honda Forum about Honda shortcomings, and their lack of current design trends. I mean, it's not like your biased or anything. And if you don't believe you are bashing, then you might want to re-read these posts. And as usual, if one of us Honda owners was doing the same in the Yamaha section, I'm sure you would receive our "objectiveness" with the same open arms that you expect us to take your posts here.

As to the point you missing, I've never shown "blind loyalty" to Honda in this post. That was you painting all of the Honda owners with the same brush. I've stated that the rumored massive Rubicon transmission failures with their high cost and non-servicablity havent't really happened as originally forecast. And while a large percentage of Rancher ES owners are having problems, we will never know the actual number of owners with no problems, vs those with ES problems, as only the owners with problems will post here. Like other web pages, if 200 owners post over a year about their problems (because who posts about it working as designed?), that sounds like a lot. But if that number is 200 out of 6000 owners, then that is less than 1% of total owners.

Am I long-winded (but you're not making personal attacks, right?)? Probably, but I am trying to answer all of the issues you threw out, not because I am trying to argue with you, or that I even care if I could change you mind, but I am doing it for the other folks who may be here to make an informed decision about this model and it's problems. Funny, though, how you now have this thread going on about all of the Honda sportbikes, past and present. Forgive me for trying to keep this post on subject. I would just like to get to the on-subject posts (like RancherMan350) without having to wade through all the "xxxx sucks", and "yyy's are stupid cuz they have widgets instead of the doo-dads like all of the other bikes" posts.
Stebob, you are right about my comment concerning towing Raptor's back to the parking lot. I mentioned it to point out that while I have some knowledge of another model's problems, I am not posting in the Yamaha section about it, or mentioning that all Yamaha' do this, or don't have that. Hell, without the Raptor, we would have the new Kaw 700 V-sport, or the Suzuki Z-400, or...

I guess I'll go back to letting you entertain us with your un-biased viewpoints (250R = Antique, 400 EX = wife or kid quad), because if I happen to have a different opinion than yours, you'll set me straight, if you can interrupt me from my duties at the Honda shrine. (I'd point out to you that I am being sarcastic, but it's not like you bother to listen and understand the point I'm trying to make, you're just waiting for me to stop posting so you can launch into Honda's stupid decisions on (let's see, utes, sportbikes.....ahh!) 3-wheelers or putting a turbo'ed 4 stroke on watercraft).

Old 12-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Also, it is one of my pet peeves that many Honda owners are so brand loyal that they are blind to the competition.
m hm...i have a polaris too. brand loyal? i dont think so

Old 12-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ranchers having problems with the ES? I have 5 or 6 friends with Rancher ES's and 2 with Rubicons. One quit working once and he had to use the foot shifter that came with it, but when he got home the ES was working fine. The others have had 0 problems with the ES or any other part. All of them have around 2000 miles or so. Thats just what it looks like in my neck of the woods.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

When I was looking for a new machine I considered the Rubicon but changed my mind after riding it. I just don't like what honda is doing with thier trannies. I would rather replace a belt or a spring an my sportsman than to take out my trannie and send it to god knows where. Supposably honda is going to be making sleds in some time, Maybe they will put that trannie in them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just can't have those belts.........

Old 12-05-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

And when did production of the 250r start...oh yea and when did it end.????
how about the banshee....I believe it's still going strong. Whats wrong with all these companies. they make some of the greatest ATVs ever and then stop. the tectate, the 250r, the LT500, the banshee, seams team blue is the only one with the brains to keep on making the best engine ever...A two stroke. I'm not bashing honda here but they don't have a competitive race quad. they made one in the past. the 250r no longer brings them any profits.

Old 12-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

CTATV, good point (even though it is a little off topic). Honda is the only brand now that doesn't make a reasonably high performance & modern quad. I can't imagine how somebody could be loyal to a company that couldn't care less about the sport and high performcne ATVers. It's not like Honda is exactly giving the Utility riderts anything to brag about either.

So, somebody answer me this question: Without using the word "reliability" or something similar please explain why Honda is better than other brands and why a person should buy a Honda Sport or Utility ATV over another brand's competing product.

Quick Reply: Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?