Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?

This thread makes it tough as all get on a guy like me just now trying to get into atvs and trying to make a decision on what's best. I have asked friends that have had everything and currently own everything but a Honda and they are telling me that I should get a Honda if I want "reliabililty". yep, that supposedly dirty word. Yet I get on here in the Honda forum and it is mostly dudes riding other brands saying that Honda sucks compared to other rides and when a Honda dude steps in he gets gang-tackled. kekeke, at least ya'll are having fun...... I don't own an ATV, never have, only ridden a few times on a small suzuki and a few days ago on a grizzly and now I have to have something. I just like busting down trails and I just about made up my mind on the rincon just gauging from what looks good and appeals to me. I just don't want to get a small ride and then regret not having purchased a big one. Are there really that many people out there that are brand loyal and just not saying anything about all these problems that they have to be having with these machines that are inferior in a lot of ways according to these posts??? I'm totally new, just looking for answers. Somebody convince me. I realize this a little off the rancher es tranny probs, but so were several other posts.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Guys. All these bikes do their jobs very well, at least in the utility world. (I'm not up on the sport bike world) Everyone hopps on and goes trail busting, has a good time and someone will get towed home. It doesn't matter who it is or what they ride because eventually some person will have trouble with some model from some manafacturer somewhere in this world. Person X knows of 20 people who have/have not had trouble with a particular model. What does this mean? Nothing, because there are 100's and 1000's of bikes produced each year.

I challenge you to find a manafacturer that is perfect in every way, has never had a bad machine and such. You aren't going to find it because all manafacturers have different ways of going about things and each have different problems.

When it comes down to it, every bike is capable on the trail, some are faster, some are bigger, some are smoother, some require more maintenance, some will always get you home, but all bikes on the market today are capable trail machines that will hold their own on a run. Some will do certain things better but nearly all will get it done, and everyone will have a good time.

I don't come here to change everyone's mind about my chioce of machine. I don't care, I purchased Honda in '98 because it was exactly what I wanted at the right price and the dealer service was spot on. Everyone has their own reasons for buying what they did and so be it. If there was no competition between manafacturers than we'd all be riding the same bike.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well, since Fourlix is sleeping, which means we have some time talk, let me say this: That usually there are 2 types of folks posting. One is a person who has a problem and is seeking an answer, and the 2nd is the person who utilizes the free-speech opportunity to say what they feel needs to be said. Occasionally, a 3rd type of poster is primarily a reader, who can offer either some information or assistance that's relevant to the original concern, or maybe reminder the original poster with a concern that their concern may be more, or even less, widespread than they have been lead to believe. Usually, this 3rd type of poster is hesitant to get in a pi$$ing match with some of the free-speech posters, as they don't practice the same willingness to free speech when someone disagrees or provides a viewpoint that is in conflict with their opinion. Now, that 2rd type of posed hesitates not because they're scared of the discussion, or unable to back up their viewpoint, but because they don't feel like it is worth their time to engage with these folks, only to get "gang-tackled" as you put it. That is why the use of PM's (private messages) are so prevalent, or that some folks tire of the opinion-terrorists, and leave to go to a different webpage (like ATVTime.com) where the discussions and the participants are more mature. As for my experiences, my Rubicon has only experienced a bearing failuer that was caused by my powerwashing technique. So I have over 2400+ miles on it without any mechanical problems, including the tranny. And most of that 2400+ miles is on trails like WNF in Southern Ohio, Hatfield/Mcoy, Big Rock in Kentucky, and Haspin Acres in Indiana, where there are few fire trails, but mostly ATV-specific wooded trails. Now, my wife's original Polaris TrailBoss had a swingarm bolt that wouldn't stay tight, so while she liked that quad, she wasn't comfortable trusting it, and traded it in for a Rancher. She has about 1000 miles on her Rancher 4x4ES, with no problems of any kind. So I keep an eye out for these related posts, realizing that no quad is exempt from problems, but so far no problems with her Rancher. So I am one of those folks who probably should have kept quiet, but didn't want you to believe that the problem is widespread, and indicative of all Ranchers.

Old 12-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I guess I'm a type 2 - free speech - poster but stilll...... I would like to know what makes the Hondas better than the competition without stating reliability as the reason. Anywone???

BTW, I happen 2 own 2 Yamahas but I will buy any brand of ATV if it suits my needs. In the past I've owned other ATVs and motorcylcles of different brands.

Action450s, sorry but I disagree with you that all bikes do their job well. I would say they will get you back and forth on the trails and such but that's where the similarity ends. Do all utility quads perform the same in mud or rock climbing or high speed driving? Do all sport quads perform the same in MX, duning and drag racing and jumping??? The answer is no. Some machines are CLEARLY superior to others once we get past the basics of getting from point a to point B.

Finally, speaking of mileage I estimate at least 3000 miles on my Banshee. I figure every dune trip I do 50 miles a day times say an average of 3 days of riding times 7 bigger trips a year times 3 years of ownership = 3570 miles of just duning alone. that doesn't count the small dune trips or riding on the roads or other riding. Something to think about. I bet I've got 500 miles just riding the roads at high speeds (60+ steady).

So, why is Honda better again????

Old 12-06-2002, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im extremely surprized to hear of any ES problems with the ES model Honda.s?I work in sales for a Honda dealership and have not had one single ES model ATV come back for repairs,I been at this dealership since Janurary of this yr and ATVs is our biggest sellers.I have 4 Recon ES and 00000 problems with ANY of them.

Bill

Old 12-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These threads kill me. Someone has a shifting problem with a Honda and everyone from all the other brand forums jump all over it and claim every Honda is junk and Honda is so far behind all the other manufactures. Give me a break.

I am one of those brand loyal people. I ride with alot of different brands of ATV's and see the problems they have. Wont buy one.

If Hondas are such junk, why are they the best selling ATV? The Rancher IS the best selling ATV. You see a couple of posts with a few problems and you jump all over it. Honda has come out with two completely different automatic trans that have litterally had zero problems. Their new ATV's are not plagued with problems like coolant leak, electrical problems, clutch and belt problems, vapor locking problems, gas leaks, and on and on and on. How many new Honda's have you seen that when they came down the assembly line they forgot to plug in the voltage regulator? Half the ATV's we ride with have to park theirs against a tree because their "high-tech" disc brakes bleed off and won't hold the ATV, thats neet.

Honda is what everyone compares their ATV's to. Mine has this and Honda doesn't, maybe Honda doesn't need it.

Do I think all other ATV's are junk? Nope. There are also alot of ATV's we ride with that have had zero problems. Years of great service and with no belt replacement.

You think Honda people are thick headed, you should see some of the other brand owners. Do I have to go to another brand thread and trash their ATV's? Nope. No need to. They complain about them enough on their own.

This thread cpuld have ended with Raptorjay's post.
Hove a great day and remember, when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Old 12-06-2002, 03:43 PM
CS
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: WyoDuner
I guess I'm a type 2 - free speech - poster but stilll...... I would like to know what makes the Hondas better than the competition without stating reliability as the reason. Anywone???

BTW, I happen 2 own 2 Yamahas but I will buy any brand of ATV if it suits my needs. In the past I've owned other ATVs and motorcylcles of different brands.

I think it's just as you said, they probably suit the needs of the owners more. I bought a Honda because, in my search for a good used machine, it had the price and features I was looking for. The only consistant reliability complaints I've heard were about Polaris. But you just take it for what it's worth. They can all have issues. It's similar to the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge truck debate. People pick a favorite based on features and past experience. I'm a Ford Man myself.

I happen to really like the ES. In my opinion, it is the best of both worlds, ie auto and manual, and, of course, many others with say it's the worst of both worlds. To each his own. I like being able to hold a gear, consistant engine breaking, simple shifting for the wife, and having full foot boards. I also think in the long wrong, perhaps erroneously, that it will be more reliable than an auto because it's an adaptation of the tried and true manual trannys. Also, most issues will involve electrical problems, which are more easily repaired, by replacing a sensor and the like, verses taking apart an auto to replace a belt or whatever.

Old 12-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

The silence is deafening as they say.... Is nobody going to tell me what Honda has that is better than the competition and why??? A lack of a response speaks volumes.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

im not going to say that Honda is superior over any other brand, cuz its just not true.
every brand has its highpoints and its lowpoints. IMO, there is no "best brand"
so tell me, WyoDuner, what makes Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, Kawasaki, Bombardier, or Honda superior over the others? every make has good quads. if you want the ultimate utility quad, go with the Grizzley, Prarie, etc. if you want a great dune quad, get the banshee. if you prefer a big-bore monster, go with the Raptor or ds650\ds650 baja. in the 400 range, the Z-400, KFX-400, 400EX, or Cannondales are all great choices. it all comes down to deciding what works for you.

Old 12-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Range Rover

ok ok.... to all honda owners: we are all here for you. it's ok to be truthful now, no need to hide anymore. so COME CLEAN AND ADMIT WE'RE RIGHT!!! ("we're" meaning every other brand poeple)

Quick Reply: Rancher ES Tranny Problems!?!?!?