Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question for Rinconeers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Rinconeers.

either maddog is smoking weed or he has never ridden a Rincon. the engine braking doesn't kick in until 18 mph?????? wtf do you get that from? I think maybe you heard somebody talking about it and they really said 8 and you missunderstood. The engine braking kicks in well before 18. more like under 10. I know from experience and from driving mine down very steep inclines frequently. Pure power, that thing will slingshot you all over the place. Take advice from someone that actually owns one and not from someone who probably hasn't even seen one. This puppy was not built with pure work in mind, but from what you are describing it isn't exactly gonna be majorly taxed. 800 lbs of stuff is not a big deal for this quad. Now if you got too much on there you will have a devil of a time stopping it. No problems getting it rolling though. That's gonna be the same with all the monster quads. As for a low gear, it doesn't need it. You get mega torque from the way honda has it set up. You will have to ride one and see it to believe it. Too many crazies out there with batty opinions that don't know any better.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ramblin man, sorry to have upset you so. but, as prarie puppy said,
Oh yeah....I forgot to mention this: Both RINCON owners DETEST the Engine Braking System (if that is what you call it) on their bikes. The say that the bike feels REAL squirly when going down big hills and that 100% of the braking is manual, until you get up to like 18 mph. (And who goes 18 mph down a steep *** hill!?) They also said that, and I dont understand exactly how this is supposed to work, but, supposedly one of the front levers is supposed to supply equal braking to all for wheels? All I know is that watching one of these two guys come down a BIG hill (the other guy wouldn't even go up it for this reason, and in West-by-gosh-Virginia, I'm sure they would refer to this "hill" as a "freakin' mountain", the poor guy was locked up and nearly out of control. I was puckering up just watching him.
He was speaking of his 2 friends who own new rincons. Here is a link to the thread

And yes, I have ridden a rincon. They are very nice machines, excellent riders. But, not fully suited for heavy duty work. My family owns a horse ranch, so I have put quads to work, and I know what is needed to make a good work quad.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

all I can say is bully for his opinion dude. I own a rincon and go down steep hills (although they aren't West Va. caliber) and 18 mph is a hallucination. I'm not saying that my engine brakes as good as a 700 or whatever, it's a known fact that it doesn't because of the way the transmission is set up, but is this dude from Ireland going to be hauling down a mountain with 800 lbs of pig slop on his racks? i think not. Therefore this is a moot point that 2 Rincons that some dude saw puckering up coming down a mountain were not braking like he thought he would like. I'm talking facts man. I will say this though, if these guys were running in auto mode they might have not had as good braking as if they were running in esp. who knows what they were running, I'm just talking from hands on experience.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i understand your comments, point taken. The question is whether the eb will engage sufficiently at very low speeds under very heavy loads. I havent towed with a rincon, so i dont know. But this is a very important question for him because eb is very nice to have at these speeds.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

I can't say with experience anything about towing with the Rincon either aside from pulling other quads. That really doesn't count. Maybe someone will meander around that has towed something. I guess I could hook up my truck and pull it up the parking lot and see how slow it would tow. ;-)

Old 03-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I guess I could hook up my truck and pull it up the parking lot and see how slow it would tow. ;-)
LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

that sounded like you don't believe I could do it!! Now I just may have to try it. I'll post the results if I do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 11:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ha ha ha, no, i believe you can do it, just sounded really funny. My 01 rancher es 350 will pull a 2 horse trailer around, so ill bet you can haul a truck. Dont break anything if you try it!!!

PS, thats with a heck of a lot of weight on the front, and 1st gear only.

Old 04-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

If you are going to pull anything heavy get a Arctic Cat 500i. It will out pull and outhaul anything around,not knocking the other bikes,just telling you the facts. I am on my 2nd Arctic Cat and love every minute of its capablities

Old 04-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks folks for all the opinions.
By the way, it ain't pig swill I haul around,
it's granular fertiliser that comes in 50Kg bags, nice and clean and easy on the nose.
The spreader is towed behind the ATV and has a conical hopper capable of holding 7 x 50Kg bags.
My land is so steep in places, it would turn any heathens out there into devout church goers.
Folks on lesser machines would no doubt soil themselves going down some of the inclines I frequent.
The 450 is a great little bike, but does get its knickers knotted when going over those ruts as it has no rear axle articulation.
This is what drew me to the rincon.
As I said the Rubicon here has a fully locked up 4wd system which I don't like for reasons stated above.
Shipping full locker parts from the US to Ireland ain't a runner due to import taxes and freight costs.
Now I may look at the possibility of fitting 450 traxlok bits to a Rubicon using Honda parts.
But if Honda got their act together and sold the machines that people wanted there would be no need for this.
They really must have acres of Rubicons to sell without Traxlok, before they officially introduce it.
Why, oh why, oh why?
The pain, oh the pain!

Quick Reply: Question for Rinconeers.