Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question for Rinconeers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Rinconeers.

Gerard, I have ridden a 450 foreman , rubicon and rincon on the same bumpy swampy trail back to back. The rubicon and foreman have similar rides, but the rincon is clearly a whole different animal, by far the most comfortable of the three. Reference the previous post about engine braking. The Rincons I have ridden engine brake at 8 or 9 MPH, in first gear, if the idle speed is off it could be considerable different, or if you go down a hill in a higher gear. In the automatic mode, it is possible to effect the downshift by tapping the brake lever, in manual you pick a gear and it stays there. RebelDS, why the sermon on this thread? Most of the posts are from actual owners, or they know somebody that has one. They are not all positive either. I read most of the forums and all exhibit brand loyalty. You seem to offer as much speculative advice as the other posters.

Old 04-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gerard -- I use my ATV for Elk hunting the high country of Colorado. I have owned only Honda's from 300's to 400's to 450ES, Rubicon, and now the Rincon. I didn't think the Rubicon could be improved upon for what I use it for. I pull heavy loads of Elk and Deer on a two wheel trailer built of very heavy steel for indurance, that when loaded with carcasses is quite a load. Last year in the off season I had extensive heart surgery. Reading the literature on the Rincon, I determined that the ride might be important after talking to my doctor about what I could and could not do. I bought the Rincon and "WOW" am I glad. I run 8 miles up a steep and rocky, deeply rutted mountain road. This past fall when I got to the top I could not beleave I could be there because of the Rincon ride, that literally floated over those rocks and ruts. The trailer was no problem, after helping to haul 17 Elk out. I for one can attest to the excellent ride of the Rincon, no questions asked. Good riding.

Old 04-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Dzzy, like I said in my previous post, I didn't mean to come on too strong. And I realize that brand loyalists exist on all forums. I have seen too much of it other forums before I saw it here. A lot of people will ask a question because they need honest help. And you know these ATVs are a big investment for some people and they want honest answers. For example, you could ask someone on a Yamaha forum what ATV they recommend for putting around in their yard with their granddaughter in their lap and someone is bound to say "get a Banshee, it's the best thing I've ever been on". And I know my answers were speculative, which is why I ended my post with the suggestion that he go to a dealer and ride those that he is interested in so he can judge for himself. I'll stay out of this from now on.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

I am not blindly loyal as such to the Honda marque.
The Honda people never really did anything in particular for me, no free holidays to Japan, etc.

But one thing is undisputable,
they make very reliable machines that can do tons of work.
That's why I stay with them.
Even from my motorcycle days many years ago,
I have not a bad word to say about the longevity of their machinery.
Even my lawnmower is a Honda.

I'll try and get a ride on a Rincon when the opportunity presents itself.
The one thing I really have to check out is that engine braking.

Will report back, and thanks again to all.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck Gerard. I see your point RebelDS, please feel free to express your opinions, after all this is a forum.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey their ramblinman dont get online much very busy. No problem man. I have put my rincon through hell

Old 04-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey their path. dont get online much very busy. But to answer ur question i run Itp 589 27x12x12 on the back and 27x10x12 on the front havent been stuck yet they just keep digging and digging u out

Old 04-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

sycorider -- Thanks for the info, I have been casting my eyes on a set of the 589's, this may be the deciding factor. Good riding

Old 05-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Concerning the engine braking, I have heard alot of mixed posts. I own a rincon and ride in a very hilly area in western NY. I have rode down RR enbankments which are 50 ft down and about as steep as the dirt can be piled with stability. I have never had any complaints with the engine braking. Mine works flawlessly and works definately at lower speeds than 10 mph. It seems to kick in at more like 5 mph. I had a rancher previous to this rincon and the engine braking is just as good on the rincon as it was on the rancher. IT WORKS.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:37 PM
BSA
Pro Rider

I have to take my Foreman through some steep ditches and gullies. I find it's low ground clearance (compared to the Rincon) an advantage in that I have a lower center of gravity. It is built like a minit-tank....a ground hugging mini-tank.

My point is, with the steep hills you have described, have you considered any adverse safety effects that IRS and higher ground clearance may bring? I don't mean to knock IRS, I am just asking how high of a center of gravity can you safely have where you use your ATV?

Quick Reply: Question for Rinconeers.