Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Rinconeers.

Howdy all.
I'm a farmer in Ireland.
I currently have a Foreman 450,
works well for me but has many hours up and I'm contemplating a change.
Rubicon here does not have traxlok, so that's out.

Now that Rincons have been out for a while,
and the Rincon will be available towards the end of the year in Ireland,
I'm re-asking this question that I posted here previously.
One of the BIG jobs I do with my ATV is sow fertiliser,
involves towing about 350 Kilos, at 9-11 KPH.
How does the gearing and engine FEEL around this speed?
What about that engine braking?
Particularly with a towed load behind?

Do you think it would make a good replacement for me?
I need a machine that will work for me 24/7 in all kinds of conditions.
I've had 4 Hondas, all good uns!
The above speed/fertiliser issue is a major one for me.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2003, 02:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you really from Ireland? I've been to Scotland twice and I've never heard the word "Howdy" come from anyone's mouth over there. Not even when they were drunk in the Pubs playing snooker. What part of Ireland are you from? My brother is in the process of building a house in Ireland on some land that he has bought.
Sorry, I can't give you any info. on the Rincon.

Old 03-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

i dont own a rincon, but from what i hear the are geared a little high. i think honda might have intended the rincon to be a sporty 4wd with the ability to haul all of you srap into and out of the woods. if you look on hfm's web site, the dyno they have says 16. something at the rear wheel with the pipe. i think that fluid driven tranny was a waste of time. in the first place a 650 should have ALOT more power then that. and yes it probly will out last the life of a belt, when something dus happen and you on the trail its gunna suck cuz i dont think most of us could make sense of it enough to rig something to get us home and when you didn't get it to the shop you might wind up paying out the a$$hole. happened to a couple guys at the local dealer that owned rubi's. I'm not trying to steer you away from it but i dont think it will have enought guts to do what you need, cuz 350 kg's is roughly 700-750 lbs right???depends on what your towing over though. soft terrian or up hill you might have problems. again, i've never ridden one, this is based on what people have said to the local dealer and such.

Old 03-30-2003, 07:03 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Rincon. You can tow 750 pounds and you won't even feel it. I don't do much work with mine, but I ride with all belt driven quads and nobody can put me to shame. You would definitely want to get some aftermarket tires though since the stockers are strictly trail riding tires. Don't let anybody talk you out of this one that doesn't have one and has never even ridden one. They start out strong and by the time you hit 150 miles on the odometer you feel like you have a nitro kit strapped on. I would highly recommend the Rincon to anyone. In all fairness you should check out the other big quads to make sure on which one fits you right. You may prefer one of the other quads. I checked them all out and went with Honda. very very happy. ;-) The engine braking is great at the speed you specified, and your best bet running a steady speed like that would be to put it in ESP and let 'er rip. Although if you didn't get up over 11 you probably wouldn't shift anyways even in auto. I ride mine in auto 95% of the time. Good luck on choosing your new purchase.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ridden all the Honda's and nearly all of the others in a shop type situation. Mainly test rides on moderate hills, bogs, and sometimes up and down the nearby county road wide open if I need to. The Rincon is my favorite ride, soaks up bumps and stays composed at high speed like nothing else out there. A blast to ride on the trails too. They get knocked pretty hard in some other mfg forums for being slow but that's mostly just a p_ss_ng match about who won the drag race, and I don't believe what I read in the mags good or bad anymore. I have found they have a great engine with plenty of power. Enough to get you in a lotta trouble fast. Apparently enough to win first and third place in the Baja 1000, 400EX took second. The proof is in the pudding. However Gerard, I think you already have the very nearly ideal machine for agro type use. patch it up , keep it for the tractor type work, and get a second one for those days when all the work is done, or for those long rides between farms.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Yup.
I'm from Donegal, if you look at a map of the Emerald Isle, it's up in the Northwest.
Best wishes.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys, all.

Probably the best thing for me to do is wait until I can get my hands on a Rincon and try it out.
The 450Ex never had any power problems for my application and always pulls it's valliant little heart out.
Aftermarket rubber transformed its grip.

But the one thing that pisses me off big time is that fully locked up 4wd system.
Great when you need it, but when you don't it's a pain,
scrubbing tyres and a huge turning circle making the bike less agile than it should be.

I won't be going for another 450 because I liked the idea of IRS on the Rincon.
On uneven ground the 450 can get into a bit of a dither climbing over ruts.
I could live with the Rubicon if it had that Traxlok.

Will let y'all know the eventual outcome, best wishes.

Old 03-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

The rubicon makes a fine utility quad while the rincon is made as a sport machine.If you must have traxlock it can easily be added to a rubicon either using honda parts of even cheaper by installing the warn 424 unlocker.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there Buddy,
I had a rincon for about three months. Me and my buddies go riding every Sunday. We have a great time. My Rincon is the best out of the bunch. I have ridden every other new model out there and none of them compare. I have put a lift kit, new exhust, 27 inch Itp 589 mud swampers, Warn 4000 pound winch w/ Remote control, rear hitch attachment, snow blade attchment, and a new front dimond plate front gaurd on. And i have had nothing but good luck with my bike. I live in Md and we had a very large snow storm. I plowed snow with the Rincon and pulled a salt spreader. I had no problem at all. I have even pulled a huge dulley out of the snow. The bike has plenty of power. No one but me could have possibly put the rincon through a harder test than that. The machine has the best ride and smothest ride out of any atv made. The Bike shifts no differnt than a car with an automatic trans. Or you can put it in manual shift and keep it in low gear while towing whatever it is you need to tow. I have never had a better atv. I also have a 2002 Foreman i am selling to my sister with the same package i have on my rincon. U would be crazy to go with anything else.

C YA
Sycorider out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for pure strength, the rincon is questionable. The power to weight ratio is great for trail riding, but really leaves you at a disadvantage when actually working. The engine braking system doesnt even kick in until over 18 mph, so it will not help when towing at 10kph. If you want a workhorse, which i would suggest based on your input, I would look elsewhere. The rincon does not have a 4wd low range either. The polaris 600 and 700 are built for hauling and towing, as are others like the grizzly. The best advice i can give you is to ride as many of them as you can. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Question for Rinconeers.