Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

What would it take to let me hunt on your property?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would it take to let me hunt on your property?

OK. Please read everything before you react. I do not mean literally. My point is what steps can I take to get permission to hunt on privately owned land. I would like tips from land owners who are open to the idea of allowing a courteous, SAFE, law abiding hunter access to their land. Please no flames. If your not open to the idea, I would like to hear why and if there could be something done to change your mind. My state offers a master hunter program. Would that be enough? A twelve pack delivery on the days a guy wants to hunt? LOL I'm just looking for ideas on how to talk to and deal with local land owners. I know there are several others who wonder the same thing.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

It all come down to trust. I live on a 350acre farm in Ky. There's lots of deer and lots of folks who want to hunt. Too many times we have given permission for someone to hunt who then somehow interperts that to mean they have lifetime permission, can bring a large gang of buddies with them anytime they like, and do not have to pay any attention to fence lines, etc. Then we are forced into the uncomfortable position of having to confront these guys and tell them they can't hunt anymore.

After you've been through that a few times, it's just easier to say, "Sorry, but we don't let anyone hunt". It's just not worth the hassle.

I would suggest trying to get to know the landowner before hunting season. Convince him that you are a responible guy and will respect his property, be upfront about anyone you plan to bring with you (keep this to a minimum), and be nice. After it's over a small token of appreciation (maybe a couple of deer steaks or something) will assure he remembers you next year.

RSeb

Old 12-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Our family has a 160 acre dairy farm in coastal Wash. state with a very productive salmon river running right thru the property. Public access is limited to drift boat fishing where they put in upstream of property and then drift thru and take out below the property boundry. A few responsible parties have anytime permission to come thru property to get shore access to the best holes. These are usually friends with business connections to family farm like hay cutting/ bailers or truck/ tractor repair shops, or even church friends. Its the old I scratch your back you scratch mine deal. Otherwise there is not much incentive to allow access. Owners have everything to lose and nothing to gain. If there were some way you could actually provide a valuable service to the land owner in exchange for hunting rights maybe you could get permission.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the way I think it should be addressed, the way that I do it. I DO NOT show up the day of the hunt or during season clad in camo and go to the door of a house or ranch and ask permission. I ask prior to the season to talk with the people that own the ranch. I try to see their interests and let them know that I am a safe and law abiding hunter and citizen. If they do not grant me permission for whatever reason, I tell them 'thank you for your time, have a great day'.

It is their land, they own it and its their right to decide whether I can hunt on it or not, no questions asked, its purely their decision. I do not go in area's that I think are private land. I have land status maps for everything, so I know what is state, federal, private, etc. land....

You have to do your homework before going in the woods. You have to it early, waiting the day before season or during season is unacceptable....

Be pleasant and respect the owner. Do your homework...

Old 12-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

We own property in Washington State and have had many good and some bad experiances with hunters and campers over the years. I have posted in the past in forums, don't recall if one was this one, and don't mind doing so again.

We have quite a bit of land and nearly all has been available for public use thru the years. We have had to tighten it up some due to some legal advice from our attorney. Seems there have been some lawsuits where people sued landowners for letting them hunt on the landowners "dangerous" property. Woods are woods and any dumbass can hurt themselves out there.

We have a couple of families that have been returning two or three times a year since the mid 50's. These folks have gotten in the habit of doing a little fence fixin while they hunt and have even shown up to help with building fence and working cattle. Fun for them and very helpful for us. Teaches the city kids about nature some as well.

We have to take a day each year and pick up trash left by slob hunters and hikers as well a people that just dump stuff because they are too cheap to pay the dump bill. This takes time we could spend doing a little hunting or fishing ourselves and is costly as well. Practice the "Pack it in, pack it out" system. Matter of fact pick up a little extra if you see something laying around. Farmers/ranchers notice this kind of thing.

As was pointed out by another poster it is best to contact the landowner ahead of the season. Don't come beating on my door at six AM wanting to chase the pheasant you saw just down the road from the house. Do offer to give me the copies you have made ahead of time with your name, address, phone number and copy of your hunting license. Do have the description of your vehicle with license number on this paper. Do be willing to spend a few minuites listening to me preach about gates, fences, crop areas and no drive areas and then abide by the rules. It helps me feel better about letting you on the place and also makes it easier when one of the hands or a neighbor calls to let me know that "such and such a vehicle is out on such and such a place". Most farmers know and communicate with their neighbors, we have had the same neighbors for as many as 4 generations, and we watch out for each other. I had a new visitor offer to give me his cell phone number in case I wanted to contact him durning the day. Seemed like such a good idea we exchanged phone numbers in case he saw something I should know about. This happened this fall and we may impliment this as a standard practice.

If you show up with booze on your breath you will be denied access and the Sheriff's office will be notified.

If you need to sight in your rifle let the landowner know so he is not concerned about a lot of shooting. You may find that your host has a range, as we do, with a bench and target bunks. Shooting in a controlled area is safer and less disturbing to the game animals if the range is away from the hunting area.

I count many of the people that visit us to hunt or just to camp as friends and look forward to their visits, as a matter of fact we stay with one family when we go to the city where they live.

We have had some problems over the years but still want to allow folks to enjoy what we have. How long we are able to continue to do this will be determined by the actions of those using the place. If you are out using private property and see someone doing something out of line - please - let the landowner know ASAP. This is the only way you have of helping the landowner put a stop to the abuse.

I will now climb down off my soapbox and get back to reading the forum. Thanks for listening.

Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

This is great info. Tencubed, I commend you on still being open to visitors even after having problems. Very good info. Hope we get even more posts. I hope to develop such a good repior with local land owners and wish many had your attitude. I do realize it's their property and all their say so. Also that they have no obligation to me. I realize that hunters and ATV'ers have similar dilemas. A few bad seeds spoil the whole crop.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

the best way, is to go riding with the owners. nothing says friendly like a ride out on the trails. also, if they do give you permission give em a 2 4 of there favorite brand. than you know they'll let you go back next year

Old 12-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RSEB and TENCUBED are right on, as are the others. Can't say much more than they did.
Those that offer some kind of help (whether I needed/accepted the offer) would say a lot. Just the gesture is worth a lot.
Being Courteous, respectful, and following through with what they say will go a long way.

Also, if I were to let anybody on, I would definately lay out the ground rules for them and what I expected.
How many they could bring.
Please let me know when you will be here.
pack it in, pack it out.

Also the consequences of taking advantage and not following the rules.

If I decided to let them on and they were more than courteous and offered help and followed through with what they said and respected my rules and land, I would even offer to bring the quad out and help them bring their animal out to their vehicle.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I own 35 acres of prime deer land in MN, and although I don't get back to hunt there but once every three years or so, I wouldn't let anyone hunt on it just because they might be the ones who shoot the monster buck!!!

Old 12-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Range Rover

I have deer hunted on the same rach for over 18 years. After about 10 years the rancher felt he trusted us enough to go to our stands by ourselves and not dropped off/picked-up. This year may indeed be the last as he is getting old and his wife recently had a stroke and he mentioned about going to an assisted living place.

I'm currently looking for a new place to hunt. Since prime deer hunting is hours away local contacts come very slim. I have called a few people about hunting on there ranch/lease etc. Once I mentioned I have hunted on the same property for 18 years and offer references they seem to open a little.

Also this has worked in the past for local hunting for duck/goose/hog hunting during the summer months make a stop at the ranch/farm and ask about hunting etc. Then offer to give them a weekend of work every month or so. Ride there fence lines to see if they need repair. If the rancher is old and no hired hands ask if he needs any help around the place. Hogs are easy because the tear up the land. But it is a TRUST issue. Also since I own horses I go to the feed store allot. I become good freinds with the guys at the feed store. They know every rancher for miles and can hook you up.... Maybe......

Good Luck.....

Quick Reply: What would it take to let me hunt on your property?