Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

How do you approach someonewho is tesapassing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you approach someonewho is tesapassing?

Rule 1. Never ride the property unarmed. That's my rule. Always have a .45 ACP and/or .22 rifle at least for snakes and such.
Rule 2. If the intruder is armed, call the Fish and Game. After the incident last season with the hunter sniper, this is just good sense.
Rule 3. Sometimes I see some people fishing down on the creek and just ride up and talk to them. If they're cool, I'll leave 'em alone.

Approaching an interloper is something to do really carefully. Especially if you have some farm buildings on your place that some dopers could be using to cook their crap out in the country.

Be careful.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

put on a scary mask hop on a realy loud atv and chase em down. shot em with a flare gun and call the law people

Old 06-19-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

well first off remember it is YOUR land not theirs. and second of all the DNR is there for them types of situations. the best thing we have found out with having about 1000 acres of hunting land is when you approach someone that is on you land say what the &%*$ are you doing? then that immediately puts you in the power situation. the phrase nice guys finish last actually finish last in these situations. and if you get hostile towards them but don't turn them in say you will turn them in the next time you catch them out there and well we said we are willing to pay alot of money on lawyer fee's to prosecute them (which we are) you won't see them back again. if someone was in a treestand and refused to leave well i think that is where my best friend STIHL would come into play. remember you are in the right now them if you are a very nice guy and can't get mad at people i would rely more on the DNR.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i love wen the sport quads and dirt bikes come on the land i chase them and they run, there is one way in and one way out they usly come in from the road then there is a mile strait away, and the extit is accross 2 and a half foot deap water and mud combo! they either get stuck and fall over or they suck in water and stall out lol i love that, the sport quad always get stuck tho not to this day have i seen one get thru!
if they stop and talk i let them ride of in peace if not i chase them and ride there *** and thretten them with cop calling!

Old 06-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: weez440
well first off remember it is YOUR land not theirs. and second of all the DNR is there for them types of situations. the best thing we have found out with having about 1000 acres of hunting land is when you approach someone that is on you land say what the &%*$ are you doing? then that immediately puts you in the power situation. the phrase nice guys finish last actually finish last in these situations. and if you get hostile towards them but don't turn them in say you will turn them in the next time you catch them out there and well we said we are willing to pay alot of money on lawyer fee's to prosecute them (which we are) you won't see them back again. if someone was in a treestand and refused to leave well i think that is where my best friend STIHL would come into play. remember you are in the right now them if you are a very nice guy and can't get mad at people i would rely more on the DNR.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Trailblazer

weez440, I'd Pimp slap ya if I could. If you assume everyone on this planet is out to get you than you deserve everything you get handed to you. I'm not sure of what ill past makes you angry at the world as to getn' mad at someone who may not have intended to be tresspasing but, I can see if without a doubt they knowingly tresspassed then instead of going off on them and treating them like crap, one should be wise enough to let the local law handle it. You may as well get angry at this message too but that would only confirm what I'm saying.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

well i have to ask then, when the heck can u shoot somebody??? only when they have a gun and are allready shooting at ya? i think if were allowed to shoot any trespasser, they would completely dissappear

Old 07-12-2005, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

Littlebill I know we live in neighboring states, but sometimes it really seems like different countries when you look at how in NJ if you are unlucky enough to have to seriously injur a tresspasser in protecting yourself he had better have been inside your home and have a loaded (best if fired) weapon and a long criminal history if you dont want to become the defendent real fast.

I joke around a lot about how NJ and NYC seem to be completely seperate in many ways from the rest of the country. I dont include upper NY state though as there seems to be some hope for those up there.

Several times people here have suggested calling a state agency like the Fish and Game etc, but around here those guys spend more time chasing ATV's than anything else, and by the time you saw one your need would be over and you would be providing proof of ownership of the land your riding on.

I know NJ is very populated and most all towns have their own police dept (many with 50 or more officers for a 1-2 sq mile township) so there is less reliance on state agencies as most towns have a small army anyhow.

Still since I travel fairly often I thankfully get to see the real america where people are able to handle normal every day problems between themselves and dont need the help of their police state to retrieve a miss hit ball or remove an unwanted person from their property.

Only thing I think we all should remember is that one day the person tresspassing could be you, and you would most deffinately prefer to be treated with respect from the land owner and would be less prone to be a problem that way, and its the same for those who are doing the tresspassing to need to think of the land owner when being approached, and everyones day would be a lot less stressful if everyone respected the other regardless of who was right or wrong.

Then when you find a couple of serious criminals with stolen weapons and there running a drug ring of some kind you really need to be doing more thinking than acting since that situation could get real ugly in an instant, and not everyone would be making their best decision to try and hold people like that for the popo to arrive. I know it went well for the member who had it happen to him, but it may not for the next one etc.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

well short i am not mad at you you are entitled to your own opinion except the pimp slap was a lil uncalled for. well everyone i have caught tresspassing on our land intentionally was doing it and i knew who they were. our land is clearly posted every 100 feet i believe with private property no hunting or tresspassing signs. you can clearly see how we have it developed with bulldozing strips feed lots and a cabin so you know it isn't state land. we bought this land so we had our own land to hunt we know where everyone is at all times and we did it for safety reasons for the state land was getting dangerous to hunt and overcrowded. why should we or someone else get hurt for them disobeying the laws. and i have heard of people tresspassing on other peoples land and getting hurt then sueing the landowners so why should i be nice to them people? and if i do catch them the second time the DNR is called on them and the appropriate legal steps are taken. i spend many hours each summer and fall out there to make this my own lil haven and to have ample hunting in the fall i pay payments and taxes on this land they can go get their own land somewhere.