Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

How do you approach someonewho is tesapassing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you approach someonewho is tesapassing?

I am curious as to how people handle hunters/trepassers on their land. I have a small farm (70acres) and there is a large wooded portion where I am always finding hunters, atv'ers and dirtbikes. It is very clearly posted with no trespassing signs. The atver's and dirtbikes have been easy. They just take off when they see me coming, lol. The hunters have been more difficult. I have had several who wouldn't leave the tree stand, and one who was vaguely threatening, saying maybe I shouldn't be bothering someone who is armed in the woods with no else around.

That got me thinking, should I call the police before I go back and ask them to leave? Is there another, better way? I know you get more flies with honey than vinegar, but I dont want flies, I just want to be able to protect my land without being shot!

Old 05-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Great question!! Welcome to the forums btw! Its always a volitile situation when confronting someone with a gun, especially when they think they are in the right. I would say that if you know the person is armed, bring law enforcement with you, if you dont want to get into a fire-fight. I personally always carry a gun with me. You can just never be to cautious anymore. I wouldn't advise whipping it out and cussing the person out, but keep it at the ready in case chit hits the fan, you have some way to protect yourself. Like I said if you are not at all comfortable being in this situation bring the law with you. As for the atv/mc guys, set up some of those trail cams and get a good I.D of who they are. You may be able to resolve that on your own, but if not take it to the law as well, and ask for them to give a warning. If they are caught again, press charges. Or if all else fails shoot first and ask questions later!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck!

Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I would suggest you ask your local law enforcment agency how they would like you to handle this problem.

I have never had a problem contacting people on our property but have never had the experiance of being threatened by someone. If this did occure I would immediatly leave the area and keep an eye on the person until the law arrived. With the cell phones we have today it is a simple matter to call for help.

I know for sure it's not worth shooting someone for simple trespass.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I've had to deal with the same problem, especially during deer season.

Armed trespassers? Get law enforcement. They may just be stupid or inconsiderate, but situations like that can get out of control very quickly, and it might be their lucky day. At least in my county, local law enforcement has been reasonably responsive.

Deer poachers? The worst thing you can possibly do to them is toss them to the American legal system. It's awful, it's dragged out, it will cost them a fortune, and they will end up hating the courts, not you. I have a zero tolerance policy towards deer poaching, and local game officials have been quite cooperative. I live here, and I don't like bullets flying around.

I tend to approach unarmed trespassers with a Springfield M1A on the gun rack of my quad. A very nasty looking rifle. I don't take it out or wave it around, but the point gets across. Polite but firm. Why can't we walk around your woods? Because I own it and I say so - that's all the reason I need.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

I am always armed when I'm out checking my fences or checking for trespassers which thankfully we don't have nearly as many of these days. You just never know.

First make sure your land is adequately marked. Signs and purple paint if your state has a purple paint law. Second put an notice in your local paper that any previous permission to be on your property is rescinded and further state that anyone caught trespassing will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Next time you catch someone call the law and prosecute. I would even go as far as getting a lawyer and filing restraining orders on each one you catch trespassing. I've stood right next to a trespasser and called the sheriff on a cell phone and he came out and cited him right there. A rather awkward 30 minutes I'll tell you and being armed made the time much less stressful. 3 good items to have if you are going to confront trespassers.
1. A weapon for self protection
2. A cellphone to call the appropriate authorities. (put the law enforcement and game warden on speed dial)
3. A digital camera or video camera to document what is happening. If the guy runs off at least you have pictures. Plus it helps in court.

Once I let it be known that trespassers would not be tolerated and would be prosecuted trespassing really tapered off. Trespassers are absolute vile worthless scum and I despise them. I'd just as soon shoot the sobs where I find them but that unfortunately is illegal.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Pro Rider

Fire 21 warning shots in his direction, but let the ATVers go unscathed. or better yet let more dirt bikes ride there and it wouldn't be a very worthwile hunting spot for long...

Old 05-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JohnO
I've had to deal with the same problem, especially during deer season.

Armed trespassers? Get law enforcement. They may just be stupid or inconsiderate, but situations like that can get out of control very quickly, and it might be their lucky day. At least in my county, local law enforcement has been reasonably responsive.

Deer poachers? The worst thing you can possibly do to them is toss them to the American legal system. It's awful, it's dragged out, it will cost them a fortune, and they will end up hating the courts, not you. I have a zero tolerance policy towards deer poaching, and local game officials have been quite cooperative. I live here, and I don't like bullets flying around.

I tend to approach unarmed trespassers with a Springfield M1A on the gun rack of my quad. A very nasty looking rifle. I don't take it out or wave it around, but the point gets across. Polite but firm. Why can't we walk around your woods? Because I own it and I say so - that's all the reason I need.

Great advice.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I've been there too a couple times, be respectful but firm and if they didn't get the point with words, at 6'4 265lbs. and my Ruger 44Mag. on my hip, I always have my trusty Mossberg 500 Persuader on my front rack to make my point If I ever had to call the law, it would be a long wait for them to show up in such a large county.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

buy a high powered rifel with a nice scope and fire a warning shot through their kneecap.

Of course realistically aproach them and if they refuse to leave I would call the police and wait for them to aproach the hunter with you or bring a video camera and get footage of them threatening to shoot you then call the police on your cell and get them arrested for threatening your life as well as the other hunting charges

You could also talk to your local law enforcement and inform them they indirectly threatened you and have one of them arrive in civilian clothing and come to the woods with you to ask them to leave. The hunter not knowing your friend is a cop may very well threaten you again in which cause he will then pull out his badge and that hunter will be royally F*cked

Old 05-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Me and my dad had this problem with dove hunters on my grandma's place a few years back. After we put about 25 shells of 12 ga. bird shot into the trees above where they had thier illegal blind, it wasn't a problem. And I had a yamaha 200 three-wheeler that was very annoying. I would drive up and down the road until they left. I had one point his shotgun at me once. I saw his truck three days later in the same spot and he had to have it towed out. A 10/22 with 30 round magazines filled with hollow point stingers makes for bad automotive modifications. Never had aproblem since.

Quick Reply: How do you approach someonewho is tesapassing?