Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Rattlesnakes.....almost got hit....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattlesnakes.....almost got hit....

This year we have alot of rattlesnakes. I live right by an area with a old lava flow and usually the snakes stay in the rocks, but we had quite a bit of early rain, so the snakes are down in the weeds and stuff that grew from the rain.

I was walking last weekend with the dog. Luckily, I took two friends along who have two dogs. They have an 90 pound female Rottweiler and a 50 pound mutt. The lucky part is that my dog sniffs their asses all the time, but when he is with me he is always leading. So luckily I was leading down the trail, I came around a bush and about stepped on a diamondback. I tell my friends to grab the dogs. This snake was right on the edge of the trail.

So I call my friend because I remember they were looking for a snake for dog training. They pull the fangs on the snake ( couple sets), put a shock collar on the dog, set to high, let the dog go in to the snake, if he gets struck, they shock the dog...usually only takes once....they have a few other things they do, but works good.

Anyways, he says he needs one for the snake handler. So I tell him to grab a bucket with lid, sticks, something to pin down the snake. So i meet him, he see's the snake and says 'thats a big snake'. He said they usually like 3' snakes....well, this one was almost 6'. So I pin the head down and get a good hold on him, pick him up....big snake. But...I didn't have the camera, so didn't get a picture.

So I went out the other night, left the dog home, too many snakes. I run in to another one....I was looking for snakes. This one was good eating size, about 4 1/2 feet. So the snake went to snake heaven....

here is a pic of the snake: 4.5' diamondback

hope to get out this weekend and get some more...hell, maybe I'll even have a rattlesnake roast/party...lol...

dave

Old 06-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Trailblazer

They taste pretty good?

Old 06-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: shortbus4unme
They taste pretty good?
i would say they 'taste like chicken', but they really don't, but they do taste pretty good

Old 06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Dam!! I've heard they are good eatin, but never have had the oppurtunity to try it. Maybe one of these days. What did you use to put that one out of missery with?? Looks like a good head shot.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We dont have to many rattlers around here. We have the Copperheads. Did have a small diamondback in our camp the last ride I went on in Reynolds county. I think they are trying to bring them back to that area. This one didn't make it, it was killed before we arrived. Hell I should have taken that one and fried him up, I didn't even think of it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Ah well maybe next time. Keep your eyes sharp, and senses keen, as we dont want to here of you or anyone getting hit by one of those suckers. BTW- do you have the snakeproof boots?? Got me a set for turkey hunting in the spring, and bow hunting the late summer/ early fall. My cousin got hit by a copperhead while tracking a deer at night. The fangs penetrated his rubber boots, but got cought in his sock, I guess, cuz it didn't hit skin at all. He was lucky! He said he heard something and felt something smack his boot, shinned the light down and sure enough, dam snake. Needless to say, its dead!

Old 06-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride and hunt in Rocky snake boots. I am not paranoid by snakes, but I like the Gortex that comes up that high, plus you get snake protection[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . Dumbass and I have the same problem...copperheads and cottonmouths.......hate em both. I cant stand to see a cottonmouth while fishing.....he can have my area that I am fishing. I am 6'4-290 lbs and he is 3'6" and 3 lbs.....he wins!!!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

i whacked the snake in the pic with a lava rock....if you are going to eat them, you need to make sure you kill them quick and that they can't stick themselves with their own fangs, otherwise there will be venom in the meat....so a good smack on the head is best...usually grab them with the snake tongs, then smack the head to kill them....and even safer...cut the head off and let them bleed out...

okie....since you're a big guy, it will help you out against the venom, but they still can knock the crap out of you, especially the big one I caught last weekend....snakes that size have alot of venom...

the vet told me that he lost 7 dogs to rattlesnake bites last year that were bit right by my house, same area...

dave

Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave.....I like the fact that every interesting thing you do or come across, you post pic's....I really appreciate it!! Please dont ever slow down

Old 06-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: okiedude
Dave.....I like the fact that every interesting thing you do or come across, you post pic's....I really appreciate it!! Please dont ever slow down
Thanks....I think it makes it much more interesting and enjoyable to be able to see what I'm talking about. I love seeing pics of the other things people do and where they ride. I love riding out here because of the rockies...but I would love to ride other area's, which I will get to when I get a chance.

Hopefully get out on the Polaris this weekend and get some pics....

dave

Old 06-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

We used to catch rattlesnakes and sell them to the college for $20 a piece. That was good money back in 78. I think we made about $200 before they quit buying them. I think they thought we would get bit and they would be liable, but this was back before everyone sued everyone for everything.
It was pretty easy catching them. We had a den not far from our house and we would go when it was hot and they were in the rocks. We'd spray gas from a pump sprayer into the areas under the rocks and they would come out in just a few seconds. All we had was forked sticks to trap their head, pick them up and put them in a gunny sack. Then we'd put the gunny sack in a cardboard box.
Now when I think about it it was pretty stupid, but back then it was the easiest money we ever made.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hye Dave, I am assuming your on the west side of Abq. Do you ever ride out at the of Southern?

Quick Reply: Rattlesnakes.....almost got hit....