Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Please give me some archery advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please give me some archery advice

I would really like to get into backyard archery and am completely clueless about what types/brands of bows to look into. I used to have a long bow as a kid and really enjoyed it and would like to get back into archery. I don't anticipate getting into bow hunting though. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Old 06-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

Like most anything- you will probably get a lot of opinions on this. But I would stick with a bow from one of the bigger guys in the industry. There are a lot of great bows out right now. But if I was going to get into it I would look into getting a PSE, Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt ( I recently won a PSE and have shot both Mathews and Bowtech all are really nice).... From there I would I would look at Jennings, Bear, Browning...

Be prepared- I was shocked at how much bows are selling for and then you have to add sights, releases, rests... and a target that can handle the fast projectiles that these bows are throwing. Let us know what you decide on. One other thing- If you are just looking to get into it as a casual shooter in the backyard do not neglect used bows. Plenty of guys out there trading in perfectly fine bows for the latest and greatest.

Marsh

Old 06-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I've done some research and believe I'm going to go with a PSE recurve bow. Perhaps the Buckeye or Impala? How would either one work for a beginner? I basically want a somewhat reliable and accurate bow, but want to be able to perfect my skills as an archer. I'm not too interested in a "fancy" bow with sites, etc. If I bought either of the two, do I need to have a professional set it up for me or are they pretty much ready to be shot? I do like the idea of the used market.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

I have not shot a recurve in quite sometime... I used to shoot them with fingers and instinctive- no sights. I do not think you can go wrong with a PSE. I would make sure that the bow shop that you get the bow from helps set it up for you with quality arrows, nock... but for the most part you should be able to buy it and go....

Have fun...
Marsh

Old 06-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds great....I was checking e-bay out and there was quite a few used bows. Since I've read some many good things about PSE, I imagine I'll stick with them. Going to check out a couple of local shops also. I appreciate your input. It will be especially nice to get back into it in the Fall when it gets cool again.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

I know you said you were looking at a recurve- but thought you might find this interesting.

http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=6;t=003322

Marsh

Old 06-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

That was interesting. Do you think a compound bow would be too much for backyard archery?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

I stopped shooting when I shattered my left elbow 4 years ago, but still love the sport. And I kept one Hoyt compound just in case.

If you are just looking to play around occasionally I would suggest a compound. Avoid all the hoopla about speed and get something that'll shoot about 250 fps. I shot all kinds of 3-D shoots at 240 fps and did just fine (that does require good distance judgement though). Speed isn't worth a damn if you can't hit the target.

And don't be ashamed of low draw weights. I usually only draw 55-60 lbs on a compound.

And you may read about low brace heights - the lower the brace height the tougher it is to shoot (a lower brace height will make for a faster bow generally but can cause accuracy issues because the arow stays on the string longer.

I never owned a recurve for playing around, but I did shoot Olympic style recurve competively for several years. Recurves are a hoot to shoot, but do require more practice to be good. If you go with a recurve and no sights you can get in really cheap and have very little to care for.

Now someone may blast me for suggesting slow bows...My competitive recurves shot 242 fps when setup for outdoors and we shot at 90 meters (99 yards). And I would regulary shoot a compound shooting in the 260's from 70 yards. The key to distance shooting is fine tuning. I would only shoot a certain distance if I could get a bare shaft to hit the target from that same distance first. Fletchings eliminate a lot of error and hide poor tuning.

I've not been shooting for so long no I have forgotten alot that used to be second nature to me, but feel free to ask any questions.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I do not think a compound would be to much. I would agree with the above too, this is why I suggested looking used. Guys are dumping a lot of very good bows already set up for hunting and shooting to get the latest and greatest bow..... I have a good friend that has been using the same Jennings bow for about 10 years and consistently takes deer and shoots this bow well.

I do like the single cam bows though.... They do not need as much tuning in the long run.

Marshall

Old 06-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I really appreciate all of the help. I'm really torn between a compound and recurve. I guess looking at different models in person is going to help. The research continues........

Quick Reply: Please give me some archery advice