Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

should i buy this tractor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy this tractor?

We've got a pretty good Kubota, but the old 8N is the bomb. Almost 60 years old and still kickin' ***. Look at the pics, I'll stick the 8n in there.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i cant have sell it cuz its the wrong type, to meny sticks trees and dogwood.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Why buy something so new just to run a bushog?? You can usually buy an older field tractor, say a farmall560 oliver 1650 or something similar for a whole lot less money, and they will definetly cut grass for heavens sake.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone who owns both a tractor and an ATV will tell you that you can't expect one to do the work of the other. I often use an old two-cylinder diesel tractor to mow and plant my food plots and wouldn't think of using either of my ATV's to do the same work. The obvious differences in the simple apprearance of ATV and farm tractor should be a clear indication that one cannot match the other for what they were designed to do.

Keep in mind too there are many "gray tractors" on the market that are very dependable. A gray tractor is one that was manufacturered outside the US and then later sold here under a different name. For example, my two-cylinder diesel was originally sold under the brand name "Southern Tractor". It was made in Japan by the same company that makes Toyota automobiles and also sold as a Massey Ferguson Model 220.

As for the old Ford 8N's and 9N's, they're easy to find and parts are still being made for them. However, they drink gas to the rate of about a gallon per acre of mowing and don't produce the power of a diesel that will run all day on a small tank of fuel.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I reccommend you rent for now. Tractors are like ATVs, once U have one they can become money pits. Tractors are nothing without implements. Things like a front end loaders (FEL), discs. spreaders and hogs are minimal for working food plots. Ok U can do without the FEL, but its probably the most useful implement for a tractor. U might browse http://www.tractorbynet.com/ to learn about tractors. For 100 acres your going to need a pretty big hog & tractor or take several days to cut. Most mid size tractors (Deere, Massey, New Holland/Ford, etc) are/were actually manufactured in Japan for these US? models. Kubota is Japanese. I hog @ 40-45 acres with a 28 HP diesel tractor & 6 Ft hog. It takes me 2 days to cut 3 Ft weeds/grass. BTW my tractor is a Japanese grey market Yanmar FX24D. I have not had any problems with parts, but I do most of my own work.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

well i see that you live in new york so you get snow as well as i do here. i am taking it for granted that you live in the country and need to clear out a yard. therefore like a 4020 john deere or something along those lines would work well. we have a farm and well have went through our fair share of tractors and you need a low budget tractor for the right price try looking at the belarus we have an 825 with a loader i think it is 85 horsepower and front wheel assist has 540 PTO you could hook a nice rotary motor behind that but then again we got a 4430 john deere with a 1000 PTO on it and well it works awesome for blowing out the yard and works well on the baler hauling hay and the rotoray mower. i look at it this way if you are looking at getting a multipurpose tractor spend like 10 grand and get a decent one like a 4440 or a 4430 with a loader.