Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Glock 10MM

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glock 10MM

What yall think about Glocks 20 or 29? What about the 10MM caliber in general? I am about to buy 1 I think. Let know what yall think. Thanks

Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glock 10MM

I would have a question first. What do you intend to use it for? Plinking, self defense, or something else? I have never fired a 10mm but I have several 9mm and .45 acp's. I am currently waiting to be hired by my local Sheriff's department. They use .40S&W Glock's so I have been doing a lot of research on them. The .40 is almost the same as the 10mm. It's just that the .40 came out on the market first. That is why the .40 is more popular than the 10mm. Just a matter of being recongnized as being first. The .40 has reasonable recoil and ammo isn't that expensive either. I know that Glock's put out a fine product so you should be fine with your purchase. As far as model, just pick them both up hold them, hit the slide release and magazine release and see which one fits your hand better. (I have never been able to reach the releases on a Glock very easy) Good luck and hope this helped.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glock 10MM

If you plan to get good and stay good with any sidearm it takes regular practice and that means consuming a considerable amount of ammunition. 9mm and .45 retail ammo is, compared to 10mm or .40, dirt cheap. I reload and 9mm is about as inexpensive as a centerfire pistol cartridge gets. Just a wallet thought.

Shoot anything before you buy it. I like my Glocks, but I also like Sigs and both are different shooting experiences.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Glock 10MM

Hey Georged, how do you pick up your brass from your 9mm? I shoot both 9mm and 45 and have a heck of a time hinding the brass. I reload also and have considered putting a tarp down. I live in the country and shoot in my back yard. I have also thought about building a little shooting house but haven't. I also agree on the SIG. I don't have one, but it is next on my "wish list." I want it in .357 SIG and .40 and I just really like the way the SIG sits in my hand. Just feels good. But I'm going to have to get used to a Glock for the Sheriff's Department. :0(

Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Glock 10MM

The 10mm ammo is expensive, and harder to find. I've got a Colt Delta Elite, and it's a good weapon, just expensive to go shoot. If you're looking to stay in that caliber range, go with the .40, easier to find.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glock 10MM

A broom. I sweep them into a pile, put them in a plastic bag and then empty the bag(s) into a 12" x 12" x 12" plywood box with 1/4" mesh screen on the bottom, and shake to get rid of the big chunks. Sort by caliber, back into plastic bags until ready to tumble.

I practice at a local club (outdoors) with a hard dirt surface. If I'm lucky, I get to use the LE range, which is paved and marked in 5-yard increments. If you don't have hard dirt the tarp sounds like a good plan.

I still like Glocks better than Sigs (I have both) but Sigs are definitely a cop cult gun. Never met anyone in LE who didn't prefer Sigs as they all heard the early stories about Glock swelling magazines (fixed years ago). What are you going to carry as an off-duty gun? I have a Sig 232 in .380, a sweet shooter, but still like my Walther PP .32s (German, S&W taking over US production really ruined a good pistol).

Old 07-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glock 10MM

what the? the 10 mm was out wayyyyy before the ..40 was. Col. Jeff Cooper helped with the development of this round in the early to mid 80's, enen made up his own pistol, the bren ten. The .40 s+w came along after the F.B.I. boys had trouble qulifying with that hot of a load. When they loaded the 10 down enough to get the guns the F.B.I. boys carried, which was the smith 1006 I think, someone figured out that ther was a lot of extra case capacity, so they shortened up the case, and viola! .40 s+w was born. That was @190 if I remember correctly. The 10mm is an excellent round, maybe a little on the hot side for sel-defense, one of the guns listed was the compact version I think. The loads you can buy these days are mild compared to the early ones, though so I'd have to shoot some of the newer loads, younever know, I might just give up my .....45, but never my .45 super. By the way the glock is an excellent combat arm, really one of two I would trust my life on.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Glock 10MM

I have a Model 20. Absolutely love it. The pansy FBI loads are nothing in this gun to me. Like shooting a 9mm. Its a little costly to shoot, and sometimes ammo is not readily available in some places. I suggest bulk mail order, or reloading. What ostrich said about the cartridge is correct, except that the FBI carried a SW 1076. If you get it, try some DoubleTap loads in it. They are loaded the way the cartridge was meant to be. HOT. Buffalo Bore also has some good loads, but they seem to be more expensive and not quite as powerful as DoubleTap. Oh and Mike McNett, owner of DoubleTap is a very good person, and posts on GlockTalk forum too. Whatever you do, Im sure you will be happy.

Chris

Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Glock 10MM

I have almost every Glock. This year while hunting I will be packing my Glock 20 10mm. I drew Javelina here in New Mexico and I was going to take one with my bow, but I think I'll be using the Glock instead, should be fun.

I love the extra power and I shoot full power loads. I've had two close encounters with Black Bear sows and their cubs, charged several times...I was armed, but would have felt much better if I would have had the Glock 20 with the +2 mags and 17 rounds in the magazine...

Old 07-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default Glock 10MM

Ostrich, you are correct and I am wrong. I thought that I had read an article that said that the .40 came out first. I will be looking for that article and see where I screwed up. I am now informed. (atleast asked others in another forum) The 10mm was considered to harsh for the FBI and that's how the .40 came to be. One guys said that it was originally considered a "10mm lite". I really do apoligize about being mis-informed. I will try to better.

Georged, as far as an off duty carry gun, a buddy (A LT on the Department already) suggested the Glock 27. I'm going to check one out soon at the local shop. They have rental guns and I think rental Glocks to try out.

Quick Reply: Glock 10MM