Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

Originally posted by: Ol
LittleBill, I've been a reloader since the mid 1950s. Trust me Pard, your cases are still VERY useable. Your resizing die will straighten the mouths out beautifully.
Yep - that really is not too bad, you will be able to resize them fairly easy. Don't worry about the primer strikes, my Glock make a square hit and that is just by design.
I think that I would try a different brand handgun if possible, the nice thing is Cabelas has a great asst. and they are awesome to deal with. I think they will work with you as much as they are legally allowed. I also would take a FMJ and a hollowpoint it failed to load to help show the saleperson your problems. Lets face it, if it would feed FMJ it is not going to feed anything very well.
Let us know how you make out

Old 08-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

yea i realized i kind of panicked about the casings, i did run them through the resizer, and they went fine, good thing to hear about that primer mark, im too use to my kimber and goldcup as i never had any of these issues, supposly this gun is reliable every single review has been high except mine.

im going to let a gun smith look at it, he's a very good friend of my dad, and simply amazing with guns. Thats great to hear about Cabelas assitance, i haven't called yet as people have told me to shoot it some more to see if it fixes itself. i will call soon, im going to shoot tuesday and thursday will have about 200 rounds through it, do you guyz know how to take the trigger assembly apart? the book doesn't go into it

Old 08-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Code54
Originally posted by: Ol
LittleBill, I've been a reloader since the mid 1950s. Trust me Pard, your cases are still VERY useable. Your resizing die will straighten the mouths out beautifully.
Yep - that really is not too bad, you will be able to resize them fairly easy. Don't worry about the primer strikes, my Glock make a square hit and that is just by design.
I think that I would try a different brand handgun if possible, the nice thing is Cabelas has a great asst. and they are awesome to deal with. I think they will work with you as much as they are legally allowed. I also would take a FMJ and a hollowpoint it failed to load to help show the saleperson your problems. Lets face it, if it would feed FMJ it is not going to feed anything very well.
Let us know how you make out
no it doesn't have a problem with fmj, it only acted up once, but i load only 5 when i shoot, no way i have the energy to shoot 12 rounds accurately with a long pull like that, maybe i will load it up and run it through quick a couple of times

Old 08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry but I don't have a clue about the trigger Assm. on that one. I am a big HK and Glock fan for the autos. Your dad's buddy maybe able to help you out and if not I would get it in under the warranty - that way no one can say you "caused" the problem. I used to shoot a Taraus 6 shooter and it was a great gun, and from what you read it sounds like you just got one that is a little rough. Once you think you have it working make sure you shoot a few 100 rounds through it to make sure it not going to jam up at the wrong moment. Better to spend a little extra in ammo and make sure it is going to work when you need it than to have it jam at the "wrong" time.
Good luck with it

Old 08-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

yea i hear ya, just kills me a brand new gun has to go back to the factory, that scares the crap out of me in terms of qc.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Taurus has always been hit and miss in my experience too. If you get a good one it is fine but a bad one is unfixable.

I carry a Glock 21 and a Sig 226 and would trust my life to either. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one. I really like Sig Sauer pistols. My own personal opinion is that the best of the "wondernines" ever built was the 226. My next pistol purchase is going to be a Sig 229 in .40S&W. They cost more but they are extremely well made and if you take care of them they will last longer than you will. Glocks are good too especially if you are on a budget and have no interest in using lead bullets or reloading.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

r glocks the only weapon that doesn't take lead? reloading is a top priority for me as i reload non stop kind of why i was going crazy over this banging up of rounds

Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

If you are wanting to shoot reloads I would stay away from Glock completely lead bullets or not. Glock has very specific warnings about using reloads. Glocks are fine with new factory fresh, non- remanufactured, jacketed ammunition but they have some peculiarities that make shooting reloads of any type and lead bullets inadvisable.

This site explains it better than I can.

Glock Kaboom faq

Not bashing Glock mind you. I trust my life to a Glock 21 but they have some peculiarities and ammunition restrictions that one is well advised to observe.

As for other manufacturers who don't reccomend lead I'm not sure about that

Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

thanks capt, that gun is definitely out of my options then, any ideas on a holster for the 24/7 that will handle atv riding? while being concealed?

Old 08-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANK YOU for posting your experience. I just bought a 24/7 .45 a week ago, and have had exactly the same issues you mentioned. I have to admit that I love the gun, though, so I'm trying to work through this. All my casings have the same marks as in your pics, but they seem to be less pronounced now (I have fired 200 rounds), so the break-in period is starting to smooth things out. I'm really not concerned about this. I AM still watching the feeding problem that developed after 100 rounds or so. Until I got to the final 5-8 rounds in the magazine, the round comes up with the nose pointed slightly down. This makes it jam at the bottom of the ramp (and the slide stops short). If I give the slide a little tug back, it pushed the jammed round in the chamber fine. I played with this nonsense for the next 100 rounds, and then tryed giving the gun a good cleaning (including the inside of the magazines), as the FMJ federal american eagle ammo I was using was FILTHY. Well, I switched to mag-tech FMJ and winchester hollow points, and the problem has gone away (for the next 25 rounds, at least). Personally, I am convinced this is a magazine problem, because I can see the change in the nose direction of the rounds as I load the magazine. The cheap dirty ammo just aggravated this. Also, I'm hoping this gets better (as it has been) as the pistol is broken in. I am going to be contacting Taurus to ask them about the feeding issue, as the Warranty on Taurus pistols is good. I love the feel of this gun, and its price, and high-capacity -- I just hope it continues to feed better!

Quick Reply: Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues