Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

Thanks for the info. on headspace. It makes sense. I wish I lived in Pennsylvania, because then I know which gunsmith I'd be bringing my Taurus to. I bet his input expedited the return process too. Sounds like you might be holding a great gun in a month. Maybe I can find someone around here.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Dude if your not having problems, i wouldn't touch it, i was having issues with it, that wern't going away. it seemed to me that yours are
?

did you find the gap? its pretty noticable, although sending it to the factory doesn't gurantee anything for me. it could be just as bad when it comes back.

i don't know if he sped the process up but i didn't have to pay for shipping. if you want/ can u could send me the gun and i will have him send it, not sure though on how you would get it to me.

let me know it seems like your problems are in the past? eh not sure if you want to call me we can discuss it, pm me for the number if you want

Old 08-25-2005, 02:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

O.K., yeah, you're right. I was just unnerved at the thought of something being wrong or unsafe with my gun beyond the mag. I checked out the gap you described directly under the lower edge of the feed ramp, in between the ramp and frame (if it wasn't notched out it would be a perfect fit). At first I couldn't get it to jam, but then I pushed out the first round (of a full mag), and noticed that the second came up nosed slightly down. When I put the mag into the gun, I noticed that the round was exactly lined with the gap between the ramp and the frame. I then let the slide release, and presto! the round jams just there (I'm using hollow point). In my gun, this jam would never happen if the bullet came nose up like it should. Therefore, I'm still chalking mine up to mag problem. I'm still waiting on Wolff springs info. But anyway, as you said, mine isn't jamming like it was, so I think I'll hold off on sending mine to Miami.
Thanks for everything!

Old 08-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Range Rover

Being limited to hardball ammo for reliability is crap. That alone, plus the general reliability (or lack thereof) of the Taurus is reason enough to go upmarket. Especially if you think of the gun as something you rely on for defense if the need ever arose.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Speedster700HP
Being limited to hardball ammo for reliability is crap. That alone, plus the general reliability (or lack thereof) of the Taurus is reason enough to go upmarket. Especially if you think of the gun as something you rely on for defense if the need ever arose.
Sure doesn't sound like a keeper. I just don't have that kind of patience to pursue a obviously bad piece.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Little Bill's handgun obviously has real issues, but mine ironed out. I have been using hollow points and FMJs with no problems now. The jam I just talked about was artificially created by purposely nosing a bullet down and hand cycling the slide. In actual firing, this doesn't happen. It seems pretty reliable now (I've fired hundreds of rounds without problem). If any of you (including little Bill) are looking for something else, I came very close to getting the Ruger 345. The two things against it for me were that the decocker/safety snagged a bit (and hammer) compared to the Taurus 24/7, and the lower ammo capacity of 8 rounds vs. the Taurus' 12. It was a pretty close decision, but I picked the Taurus. It drove me nuts the first few hundred rounds, but I'm enjoying it now.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

got my holster today, sadly i have no gun to try it on, we'll keep ya updated

ps thought it was a hip holster, its a belt, man i really should start reading things

Old 09-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Little Bill,
Took the 24/7 for target practice with Dad and brother this weekend, and it jammed 5 times. That was all she wrote, I sent it to Miami today. Will keep you informed.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rhet
Little Bill,
Took the 24/7 for target practice with Dad and brother this weekend, and it jammed 5 times. That was all she wrote, I sent it to Miami today. Will keep you informed.
LOL what happened man? you were doing so well then all of a sudden its in Miami? wow. i hope you sent some cases along with it, that way they can't deny that gun wasn't working correctly.

Good Luck i thought u were out of the water i guess not

Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I thought I was beyond this too. But getting 5 jams in a clean gun changed my mind. Yes, I was dissappointed, but I'm not going to accept that level of reliability for a self-defense firearm. I sent some brass so they could check the firing pin marks. Maybe the jam was because I went back to firing Full Metal Jacket for practice. In any case, I thought I'd better send it back to get it right when the gun was still new (and they can't say its my fault). I'm not going to accept second best when I have a full warranty available. I held off because I didn't want the inconvenience of having to ship it to the factory and wait who knows how long to get it back. When I get it back, I think I'll be able to tell very quickly if they changed anything by looking at the feed ramp and the way the magazines load.

Quick Reply: Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues