Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

u didn't wait for mike to make one for ya? let me know how it works out for ya, even include a picture of it if u can with it on ya

Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

rhet u get your holster yet?

Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I recieved it today. Its very secure, and you can adjust it for cross-draw, small of back, hip, etc. The paddle seems to stay put (I jumped up and down with it on), but I'd recommend wearing a belt for extra support. If you don't like paddle rigs, they have a belt model (don't remember if it adjusts as much). Also, of course, the day I recieved the bianchi, Uncle Mike's customer service E-mailed me a reply (as follows):

Thank you for your email. Part number 8115-1 for right hand, -2 for
left hand, the Sidekick Hip Holster, will fit your firearm. If you have
any further questions, please feel free to contact us at (800)845-2444.

By the way, I shot another box of ammo through the 24/7 with no glitches, and casing marks have pretty much gone away. I now consider it broken in and reliable for self-defense. If it does do the jam at the ramp thing, I know that a quick pull back and release on the slide chambers the jammed round. I found your posts on The Firing Line Forums; Wow! you really started WWIII there. Seems like the dust has settled now; wish they'd given as much advice as debate.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Rhet i like the idea of that different settings like the hip, behind the back (most important to me) and cross draw, i did buy the uncle mikes model u specified but have a feeling i want your model too, do you have a digi camera? would love to see the small of back picture of the gun on ya, lol im a pain aren't i? how exactly does it adjust haven't seen it in person to understand how it does? does it snap off the paddle? and move, not sure how it fits all the different ways. i haven't shot in the last couple weeks to busy quading and breakin the quad to be doing any shooting.

what is the name of your ammo, winchester hollow points is all i know? what is the bullet 185? 230? and what is the exact name so i can pick up some to see how it shoots.

also on the holstersupply for that acumold? do you select size 11rh? just want make sure i get it right before ordering

yea i posted a couple places i like opnions i go for the over view, not one single person, those guyz all went nutz on there, pretty much what u see on every forum, it seems that the folks who are older seem to fight more in the forums, prolly cus they are all stubborn. i backed off till i shot it again i don't want the post locked, although they did provide some nice info between all the fighting.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera or scanner, so no pics. But, size 11rh is right, "model 7500" part #18816. The paddle and the holster are attached together by two little allen screws. When you loosen them, you can slide the paddle along a set of tracks, so that it custom adjusts the angle and height of the holster to wherever you want it. When you find what works for you, just tighten down the two screws with the provided key. I was also pleased with the thumb break, which is easy to adjust and release. The gun was a perfect fit in the holster. The holster was very stable, especially close to the hip (the paddle is slightly curved), but I suppose a belt attachment would be even less likely to fly off on an ATV ride. The paddle stays put better than those strong steel clips you see on some holsters, though. I chose the paddle model because I have to frequently take the holster on and off (its a big pain to take your belt on and off).
The ammo I've been using is Winchester 45 Auto 230 grain jacket hollow point ("personal protection"); they come in boxes of 50 rounds. The other day I saw that even Walmart sold it. I bought mine at MidwayUSA.com By the way, where can you get that powerball stuff?

Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Rhet excuse my ignorance, but how does the gun sit in the small of your back??? if the gun is designed to sit on your right hip, so you pull up and shoot, how does it adjust to go on your back? the handle would be facing my left hand??? Wouldn't the holster have to be turned around? just trying to grasp how that would work, also how does the paddle adjust it seems the bends would be in the opposite direction then what is needed.

I'm not sure on the powerball stuff yet, i will know soon i need to buy some.

Thanks for the info on the ammo, im going shooting tommorow i might pick some up

Old 08-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Rhet went shooting again, gun jammed a pretty good amount on me, even with the fmj, eh i don't know doesn't seem to be getting much better, ran 100 rounds prolly about 10 acted up, cases are still marked. slightly dissapointed now i need to go to a gun smith to check it out. i'll keep ya updated

Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

bad news, i finally got my gun smith to look at it, he had it in his hand 5 seconds before he said i have a major issue with it, head space is way off he says its y it jams, he allready has it in a container headed back to tarus with 5 of my emptys, he thinks the firing pin is bad and the trigger spring is bad, lol

think anymore could go wrong with it?

I'll keep ya informed

Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yikes. That just doesn't inspire confidence. I would like to understand more about this headspace issue. Do you think he's making a knee-jerk analysis, or is dead on? I guess we'll find out. I'm sorry, man, I know your sick to death of this nonsense.
I thought you were initially describing the exact same issues that I had, so let me compare notes:

Problem #1--crimped brass casings: a major problem first 150 rounds, but almost unnoticable by
400. Problem solved.

Problem #2--weird firing pin marks: weird, but no effect on performance

Problem #3--rounds jamming against base of ramp
Factors: a. from beginning, this NEVER DID happen in the first 50 rounds after gun cleaning.
b. only happened when mag loaded with over 5 rounds.
c. using cleaner ammo caused immediate improvement
d. after 300 round break-in, jamming pretty much stopped.

#4 I never had any trigger issues.

Things I did: a. switched to cleaner ammo
b. thoroughly stripped and cleaned gun, including disassembly/cleaning of mags. Made sure mag follower mold marks weren't dragging on mag. body.
c. fired 400 rounds (cleaning every 150-200 rounds)
d. polished feed ramp with dremel tool felt disc and brasso (very lightly, no loss of metal)

I know you are pretty much tired of talking about this gun, but I thought I'd beat the dead horse a bit longer.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Rhet, honestly man i trust the guy with my life. He completely built us 2 custom 223 and 22-250 rifles, that put holes touching all 10 at 100 yards, looks like a 45 hole when were done. He looked right at it, seemed to know where the problem is, i doubht its a knee jerk issue, he doesn't ever screw us he's close personal friends with my dad and is now a registered gun dealer. well c what happens my problems weren't going away they were getting worse then ever, your problems seems similar to me, but at this point i need a professional to look at it, i have near 300 rounds and nothing is getting better. So the monday after next he says i will have it back. i will let ya know.

th headspacing he was taking about was between the load ramp on the barrel and the plastic grip of the gun, looked to be about 3 milimeters of space. he pointed this directly out. then took my clip loaded it and then jammed the son of a bitch right on it. I'm pretty sure he's correct, he's quite confident taruas will fix the problem, he has sent tons back and most come back fixed. i only hope.

i'll keep ya updated. yea im sick of this crap its allways something

Quick Reply: Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues