Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

military rifles for hunting

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default military rifles for hunting

I have a Browning A-Bolt in .300 WM with the BOSS. It has very little kick and I can shoot it all day long. The sound on the other hand is a different story. With the BOSS you may as well be piping the blast right into your ears. You definately have to wear hearing protection.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

I used to hunt with an SKS which the Russian military used. It is a very nice rifle.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sparky8370
have any of you guys ever checked out gun broker ? It's a pretty cool sight (site). It's like an ebay for guns, and you can find pretty much anything, even full autos, if you have a class 3 and a ffl. For anything else, you just have it shipped to a dealer with an ffl. You can even look up dealers in your area, and see what their ffl fee is. It's usually $25, but I've found them in my area as low as $10
Gun Broker is a great site. I first learned about it 2 years ago when the NRA convention was in Pittsburg. If you ever have a chance to go to one of those GO! They are pretty cool, all the stuff they have.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Starky
I have a Browning A-Bolt in .300 WM with the BOSS. It has very little kick and I can shoot it all day long. The sound on the other hand is a different story. With the BOSS you may as well be piping the blast right into your ears. You definately have to wear hearing protection.

It is even worse if you are next to someone at the range who is shooting one. I had a guy next to me shooting a 300 mag next to me and I was wearing foam plugs and they simply weren't enough. I put on my muffs. Felt like someone was smacking you in the face every time he shot. Was printing very nice groups at 250 yards though.

I think one or two shots from that rifle could create some serious hearing damage to anyone unprotected especially to folks next to you.

It is a shame the government mandates that firearms be kept as noisy and annoying as possible by outlawing (for all intents and purposes) any device to dampen and suppress muzzle blast. Can't see the logic of that. They want guns as noisy as possible yet tehy want ATVs, motorcycles and cars as quiet as possible. They check ATVs for noise in federal lands yet they insist you hunt with a noisy firearm. Hey, they're the feds. Logic doesn't figure in to the equation.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: okiedude
Bass Pro has a sale starting on the 20th...Rem 700 for $299(syn stock)
I totaly missed this reply before. I may just settle for a lesser 700. I want the P or PSS or whatever they're calling it now. They come with a HS Precision stock, extra swivel stud for bi-pod, larger palm and forearm swells. They have a tactical version of the P, but what I don't like about that one is that the barrel is only 20" instead of 26", but I believe it comes all set up with scope bi-pod and whatever else.

Oh yeah, here's another great site top glock , I bought a some stuff for my glock from them. Immediately after that stupid "Assault weapons ban" sunsetted, I had 3 "hi cap" (Actually standard cap though.) magazines. I also bought a 3lb trigger connector, extended slide release, and extended mag release. I also got a regular barrel for mine, I got a crazy deal on a glock 22c(.40, compensated) which obviously isn't a good choice for home defense as it will temporarily blind you at night. But I couldn't refuse $400 with a bagmaster shoulder holster and less than 2 boxes of ammo through it. The next thing I plan on getting for it is the lasermax.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

i have shot moose with the hk 91 and i would have to say it was very accurate, but that pig was over 13 lbs with sling, scope and tripod and you would notice it if you were out hunting all day.it was a good thing it had a sling were i could carry it in front of me. great rifle to shoot at targets, never kicked , it sort of pushed you back and let you rock forward i believe this is from the heavey roller locked bolt. it would threw the case forward and to the right about twenty ft. the cases are lubed with hot gas from the fluted chamber to prevent sticking, it was cool to see the cases with the flute pattern pressed into the brass. dont get into a hurry to pick up a fresh fired case ,they are real hot, its probably one of the most accurate semi's built.