Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

"Horn Hunting"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though actual deer and elk hunting has been over for some time now, how many of you go back out in the field to search for antler sheds? I went out with the GPS the other day for a few hours and was rather excited to find the shed of a small spike, just beginning to form a second tine. Because of time restrictions, I couldn't get out where the big bucks were, so I'll be returning in the next few days to really give a good look, maybe find something more impressive.

Just curious as to how many of you guys actually go out to look for shed antlers, or if you use it as more of a "hunting tool" for next season to find where the big boys are hanging out. What kind of area's do you have the best luck in, any tips or area's to shy away from?

Thanks, and best of luck,

Mike

Old 01-28-2001, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Howdy cowboy...been doin the same thing myself lately.Actually found the other day what could be a trophy deer shed...sure wish I could find the other side!!!LOL.Happy hunting.

Old 01-29-2001, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Don't really go looking for them, but sometimes they find us. Was pushing dirt up to a cattle tank with my brother to fill the mudhole around it, when we spotted something the front tire of his tractor. A nice 4 tine antler had punctured his tire! Wish I could have found what it was attatche to during season!

Old 01-30-2001, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer
Old 01-30-2001, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I once asked a few people why you don't find more of them -- you'd think they would be all over. A couple of people said that the mice chew on them and they disintegrate. I don't know if this is true on not -- any comments?

Old 01-30-2001, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Mice, squirrels, skunks chew on them. I believe most varmints will if they can find them. It's a calcium source for them. I personally have seen skunks chewing on them. I saw a coyote carrying one around too so it wouldn't surprise me for them and fox to eat them as well.

Old 01-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

cowboy,

what's up man. i was recently in junction and i found an axis shed while i was dumping guts from our kills. i have never had any luck finding sheds until then. i don't think i would use the location of a shed to determine if a biggun is in the area (unless you are in a high-fenced area) because of those pesky varmint's habits of packing sheds all over god's creation.

hey man, i am thinking of buying a barrett m99 big shot 50 cal or a armalite ar-50, what do ya think?? the price range is from $2500-$3000.

texascat

Old 01-31-2001, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies, been interesting hearing the varying views on the subject. Country-wow, that would be cool to find the match to that trophy shed! The latest NRA mag has a few pages of ideas on where to look, so I think friday I'm heading back out with the GPS to see what I can turn up, if anything. I know there's a bunch of nice bucks left over from hunting season-at least one 5x5, a 5x6, 3-4 4x4's, I think one or two 3x4's, and a bunch of forked horns. Problem is just finding them. I know there is one monster mule deer that nobody ever got, this guy is huge. Caught a glimpse of him in some fog and followed him for most of a day, but as I was settling in for a shot, the fog came in too thick. When it cleared enough to shoot, he was gone. That would be awesome to find even one of his sheds-a huge nontypical.

TexasCat:
yeah, that would be cool! I've not seen the armalite version before, so I don't know what the differences are between the two. They've got a barrett .50 cal up in Spokane for $3,500, with muzzlebreak and bipod which was pretty nice, but unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money laying around just yet. Besides, I went at looked at the truck I want today, and was a little amazed-$43,000 fully loaded-every available option one ton dually long box Chev Duramax-crew cab black/grey interior, spray in liner and visor. To bad I can't settle for just the base model, it's a mere $31,000! Oh well, I'll need to sell a bunch more log beds in order to buy either of them, so I'll just have to dream for now.

Well, best of luck with the decision on the "biggun" -I still think that would be SWEET mounted on the front of the 'Cat on a swivel mount or something!

Mike