Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Barbed wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has come up with a good method of attaching a roll of wire to their quad. I don't want to stretch it with my quad, I just want to be able to tie it off on one end and then unroll it behind me. I'm thinking that some of you may have welded up a nice piece that somehow hooks on.

Houndog

Old 03-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Polaris 325 Mag with the usless flat racks on front and back. I made a rack to fit on top of the front rack out of 3/4" light gauge tubing with 6" sides. On top of that I mount two "U" brackets that are about 8" wide and 8" tall so that you can haul long items cross ways. These are great for hauling fence posts shovles, wagon jack or even a 20' pipe. Well back to your question. I have a pipe about 5'long that I secure in my rack and slip the roll of wire over the end. On both sides of the wire I put on a 1/4" round plate about 8" in dia. held in place with vice grips. Keep the plates tight on the roll or it will free wheel. If that happens you have a real mess. I do the same to put out electric fence wire. Now I need to figure a way to wind wire back on a roll with out a crank. There are a lot of things to make the quad handy for farm work. A wind shield and a tow bar are about the best.

Good luck
Dan D.

Old 03-05-2001, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Here is another way to do the same thing. I prefer to have the wire roll behind me, so if the roll does start to unravel all over the place, at least it isn't flailing around my head. All you have to do is weld some pipe (or rod or whatever) in the shape of a U. Make the U wide enough to be able fit the spool of wire inside of it so it will spin freely. Weld ears on the end of the U so you can put something through it to use as an axle for the spool to spin on. If you size everything just right, a small disk blade should just fit on either side of the spool in the U. It seems to work best if you have only about a half inch extra room.
Now in the center of the U you will want to weld another length of pipe to serve as a hitch/handle. Weld a strap top & bottom of the pipe to form a clevis & pin it to the hitch on your ATV. You don't want the clevis too loose, as that is what will keep the spool from tipping over. If you pull the spool along the ground this way, it rarely will unravel off the spool, and if it does, the snarl is right there on the ground. Go slow, and give the wire time let the barbs unhook from each other to avoid kinking. Good luck whichever way you decide to try.

Old 03-07-2001, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

The way that I suggest for unrolliing any type of wir is to just take a rod that has a hook at one end or a washer welded on the end. put on your roll of wire and then put on another washer. Now just wire tie this setup on to your rear rack drive ahead and use the inside washer as a brake so that you can keep tension on the roll of wire and on light wire you can do this to tighten up the line of fence you just unrolled such as is you are putting up some electric fencing. This is how i put up about five+ miles of fencing by myself in one afternoon.