Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Considering buying a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. Any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2000, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to buy a Sportsman 500 primarily for hunting. Am looking for comments and opinions from current owners as to performance, maintenance and dependability. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2000, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

We have had great luck with out Sportsman hunting. A couple other guys we hunt with has them too. Most all the guys at camp either want one, or will be getting one. They are fairly quiet, smooth, can haul a decent load and tow about anything, don't get stuck easy, and blend in well with the surroundings in most cases.

As far as maintenance & dependability, just go by the owners manual on lubricating & maintaining it, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck, you'll love it.

PS---Go check out this article by Dave Iskierka. It's a great article and really shows that the sky is the limit with these things, even for hunting.

http://www.atving.com/tmpl/features/.../dreamquad.htm

Old 03-12-2000, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Well just bought a new 500 sportsman I really love it since I got used to it. Going down really steep hills is tricky with the auto trans till you get used to it. I will tell you though that with the true 4 wheel drive and the height almost a foot I don't think any bike will outclimb or out mud it. I just hope you are a pretty big person it is a heck of a big bike...I am 6'2" and weigh 230 lbs. if you are not a big person and fairly strong I would look at a smaller bike...anyway I can help feel welcome to email me.

Old 03-13-2000, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

I dont think the size of the person has a whole lot to do with it.My older brother isnt a big man but he has no problems with his Sportsman.

Old 03-13-2000, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Well far as just trail riding I can believe that but for tricky mountain riding it is kind of a big bike for a small person...anybody else got any views on this...

Old 03-13-2000, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

If a person has any sort of back problems or pain after riding for any distance go with the IRS or the Sportsman 500. If the softest of rides is not required the Magnum 500 could be more durable in the long run due to fewer moving parts.

Across the board, nothing rides the trails like a Polaris. Flat bumpy trails that make a King Quad owner feel that he is driving at the limits of safety are childs play on a Polaris of any variety.

Having had Suzukis and Hondas in the family I am familiar with their rides and capabilities.

For out and out comfort on the trails, nothing beats the ride of a Polaris.

Old 03-13-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATVing is correct,this quad is ok for just about any size person as long as they ONLY casual trail ride with it.More serious terrains,such as hills/off camber situations will require a stronger more experienced person.Go back to the Polaris Forums ''NEW 00 XPLORER'' written by myself.Go way down and see what I wrote about my little sister in law riding the Sportsman.It is far to big for her.=====BILL 00 XPLORER-If you want to come in second ''FOLLOW ME''

Old 03-23-2000, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

I dont think weight or strenth has much to do with it...we own a 99sp500 and i have never had any troubles with it as far as control...but when you do need the strenth...is when you get one of these machines stuck....unless you have a winch or some other people with you...you are pretty much screwed...i am 15 yrs old and weigh 115 lbs and have no problems controling my sportsman on our land(or trails)...there are steep hills, mud, sidehilling, and verying treain...any ?s email me.