Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

just got springs from hotseat

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got springs from hotseat

i just got some springs from hotseat but i think they sent me the wrong ones i ordered a yellow 50/185 and an orange "orange 75/200 because he said that was the closest thing to brown he stocked . when i took the springs out of the box one spring only had yellow paint on the end and measured 3"-1/8" and the orange "that was completely orange" measured 4"3/4"?????
can anyone tell me if they are supposed to be different lengths according to color. and if somone could tell me were the primary spring is when i take the black plastic cover off
please help??????

Old 06-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Different colors will be different lengths and thicknesses. The orange is probably going to be too much initial stall, so I'd try the yellow first. When you get the cover off, the primary clutch is nearer the front. The center bolt is a reverse thread, back it out and all of the smaller bolts on the outside of the cover. When the cover is off the spring will fall right out.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin I just installed the brown spring from aaeen they said it was 50,180 but it looks just like the one I got from HPD, I installed it and the stall is way to high 3500 rpm. How much taller was your brown spring compared to the stock spring, is yours taller or shorter than the Epi red. Also can you please explain what the numbers mean so I can determine what I need to do. I have no idea about these auto's and it is getting frustating I have 5 springs that don't work. What am I trying to acheive to get max performance. Help please. Thanx

Old 06-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a picture of the springs, maybe that'll help. The blue/green spring is a stock Scrambler 500 spring rated at 20/90 and its basically the same as the stock V-force spring. It's 2 3/8 inches tall, the brown spring is 3" tall and the red is 3 3/4 inches tall and rated at 120/212. The red stalled in the 3000+ range and was unusable, the brown stalls about 300-500RPM's and is perfect. I'm starting to have my doubts about the ratings some of these companies are giving out, maybe you need to ask them to measure the length to get a truer idea. I'm not sure if you've changed your weights, but the brown I'm using works correctly with the stock weights.

I could explain how you get the 2 numbers the springs are rated at, but knowing that won't help much. All you really need to know is that the first number determines the engagement and the second number determines the RPM's the shiftout will occur at. Since the stock spring is approx. 20/90 you have to go from there to tune it.

Primary springs

Old 06-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin I just got back from the polaris dealer and I just measured my springs I asked the polaris dealer for the brown spring he brought out the same spring as my other two brown spring it measures 3 1/4". I measured my red EPI spring and it measures 3". Can you tell me where you bought your brown spring from because I want to buy it from the same place. There must be two different brown polaris springs maybe it depends on model. But I'd like to by it from the same place as you did, also what did you ask for so I know I get the same one as you. Thanx

Old 06-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Guy's would'nt the Sportsman 600 stock primary from a Pol dealer be what you are looking for?, I'm pretty sure it stall's only slighty higher than what you have and rev' out bettr on top......

Old 06-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

The brown I have came from a box of Polaris springs, weights and helixes I've had for a few years, so I'm not sure where it originally came from.
Looking at my clutch book, it looks like the Polaris white 35/111 and 2.9 inches long or the Polaris green 42/117 and 3.05 inches long would be close to what I have. EPI also has a red Polaris spring rated at 35/140 that might work well also. Any spring with a higher shiftout rating will be a big improvement on top, you'll just have to find something with a low enough stall to make it rideable. If you go too mild, you can always put in a few shims to raise the ratings a little.

Old 06-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

i might be a little behind here, but the only way to learn is to ask. So what is this spring? What does it do? What do you mean by stall out? Sorry if this is a stupid question buy i dont know what it is and i heard alot about it on this forum.