Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Ordering EPI clutch weights - need info quick

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering EPI clutch weights - need info quick

Heavier weights will force a quicker up-shift and a lower RPM. You can't compare one type of clutch weight to another brand due to a difference in the weight distribution. Brand "X" could weigh 60g and brand "Y" might weigh 50g, but if the mass is biased toward the tip of the weight on brand "Y", the lighter unit could actually force a lower RPM.
The reason I tried the EPI weights was due to over-revving above 40mph. The stock weights would let the RPM's creep out of the powerband above that speed. I went with EPI's recommendation and put on 56g weights, black secondary spring and factory primary spring. The low and mid-range RPM's went down to an unacceptable 5500RPM's. I tried my Dalton primary spring and gained 200 RPM's.
I called EPI and talked to the tech guy - he said I should be running the red primary spring. I told him I called twice to talk to the techs before I ordered the weights and was told emphatically not to use the red spring with the new weights. He told me I hadn't talked to a "real" tech, just a guy that answers the phones when the real techs are doing R&D. I told him that was just great because I had since sold my red spring to a Polaris buddy.
I decided to return the weights and get my money back. I was transfered to the girl that takes the orders and seems to be somewhat in charge - she promptly told me that there was no way that they would take the weights back as they had been used. She told me to buy the red spring and try it as the tech had recommended. I told her that I had sold my red spring on their recommendation and was leary about spending another $50 Can so I could "try" the red spring, especially after spending $180 Can for weights that weren't working. She basically told me "tough luck".
Luckily I was able to borrow a red spring from another guy and try it tonight - only good for another 100 RPM's over the Dalton spring. That put me at 5800. I started drilling the weights with a #31 solid carbon bit. After putting one extra hole in each weight I'd reassemble the machine and try it. With 3 holes it got up to 6250. Adding a fourth hole made no difference. The ramp angle is a lot sharper than the stock weight and is still forcing too quick an upshift. I think my only possibility of getting the weights to work is to mill some of the ramp off. I did drill 8 1/2 inch holes in the spider cover; it revs a little quicker but not any higher.
Am I disgusted with EPI? Yes! I went with their recommendations and they refused to back a product that won't deliver.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I would think the EPI weights would work alright if the quad had stock tires but I do beleive EPI advertizes these weights are designed for heavier after market tires. Personaly I use the weights off the Kawi 360 they work great for me with larger tires especially 27 inch Outlaws. They have a flater ramp with more aggressive start but work very well they also weigh in at 45 grams 11 grams less than EPI's.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I run 26" outlaws and have a black spring. If I were to buy and install the 360 clutch weights what would that do for me? Will I see more power down low and in the mid range? Or just top end? Will it rev quicker? The only other thing I might upgrade performance wise on this P650 might be an ignition someday. Would they work well with the extra power an ignition provides with my setup?

These clutch weight things kinda boggles the mind. I think I need to see a how the belt system works with the cover off. That would help alot I think.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

BBertram,
Lighter weights will help the clutch to ramp up faster plus in the mid range when you punch it the quad will rev up faster to rev limiter. The only problem is you don't want the bike to rev past the power band before the quad has a chance to make maximum speed.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Scott;

Sorry to hear of your problems, my $200 adjustable weights are looking better all the time.

Let me know if I can help.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Alltoys wrote -
I would think the EPI weights would work alright if the quad had stock tires but I do beleive EPI advertizes these weights are designed for heavier after market tires.
I've got the exact kit (the Pro-Series Kit) they recommended for my machine, mods, tire size and tire weight.
In fairness it does pull a little harder from 35 to 55 MPH, but below that I've lost a little, even with the weights lightened.
I still believe I'll have to mill the ramp angle down some to slow the up-shift.
Alltoys: I photo-copied the EPI weights and the stock weights and took precise measurements. As soon as I get it scanned I'll send it to you.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Shotgun: when you drilled the holes in the spider cover and got an extra 500 RPM's, was that during acceleration or only on the top end? It does make a cool sounding whistling noise with the new holes in the cover, lol!

Old 07-25-2003, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Scott

I measured out 300 ft made some runs, then drilled my cover and did some other lightening that I won't mention because I don't want anyone trying it and be mad at me for ruining their clutch.

I put it together and made another run, at the end of the run I was 300 RPM's faster.

I helped Samcoeds with his v force clutching, for the Aldeo races. I think he said his went up 500 RPM's in 300 ft. This was by drilling the cover and the spider. It was last year when I drill mine, so can't really remember, I think mine was up 300 and it revved quicker. It might be different from machine to machine, the more power you have the faster and more it should rev.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

O.K. Shotgun there ya go....... What type of drilling did he do to the Spider?

How is that boy of yours doing? I hope he is out of the hospital and home now?