Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got my new V Force - Compairing with my 03 DS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my new V Force - Compairing with my 03 DS

I bought 2 03 DS's Baja's in January. One I put a Yosh pipe, jetted and filter, air box removed. Lotsa bolt on crap and Razrs. 41 tooth on the back and 14 on the front. The other I kept stock for guests to ride. The shifter fork went bad on the guest machine and the engine ended up sitting on the bench for months waiting for warranty fix. I got sick of waiting and traded it on a KFX 700. I just got it a few days ago... The burnt Orange and Black just looks so cool together. I absolutely love the gear shifter, the way that thing just sits and idles almost silently in ?Drive? just makes ya feel all happy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] The front end seems like it really lifts up far under normal acceleration. The 22" ITP tires really hook up better then my RaZr 20's. The seat is not as comfortable as the DS but is still nice the way it goes up all the way to the bars. When you do a roll on with the V and punch it at about 15 or 20 mph it just kicks in so hard it goes from almost silent, to a mean almost supercharged sounding roar that just keeps going all the way. At top speed the steering is a little jerky and upon examination I noticed the lower control arms were straight. The DS used to be the same way but around 2002? they switched to a bent lower arm and seems to be more stable at around 70 mph. On my modded DS that I kept, I can hit a wheelie and hold it into second and then into 3rd but it always comes down on me right after.. The V is just an amazing wheelie machine. I can blip the throttle and the front end is just WAY up there! After that you just hammer it again to hold it up and hang on. I think I can hold the front end up in the air untill around 50 mph or so before I let it down. Talk about a rush. The DS needs a big yank back and punch it to get the front end up. The V just "Floats" effortlessly. Taking sharp turns with the V in puddles, wet roads etc. gets you a face full, the DS has front wheel fenders that basicly block everything. Being able to put it in reverse just owns all. The DS is so heavy, not having reverse is somewhat criminal. My DS handles sharp turns way better under full throttle then the V but I have 21" and 20" Razr's on the DS the V has 22" ITP all the way around. This also might be due to the fact that the rear ITP's have massive tread and the RaZr's seem flatter and like to slide out easier. Or It could be attributed to the fact that I have only been riding it for a few days... Overall it just seems like it wants to tip easier.
The V is just a badass machine. Perfect to mod out and drag race with. In stock form and it is just so smooth and mellow yet can can turn into a raging beast within a millisecond. Do I like it better then my DS?
I think I like them both exactly the same. I get the feeling that the DS is tougher and stronger but the V has it on the dirt drag racing end, with the twin cyl. and the automatic transmission. I am psyched to have them both in my garage next to each other and they just compliment each other so well. I will post pics of them together asap.
Question: I lost my owners manual[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] WTF is the CLUTCH lever for on the V?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Kinda feels like its a weak *** brake lever? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Time to start turning my silent beast into a raging monster!!
-Also posting in Bomb section.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:05 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

That "clutch" lever is coupled to the rear brake (as in all auto quads that I've seen) and also doubles as the parking brake. So when you want to engage the rear brake you may squeeze with your left hand or push the pedal with your right foot. To engage the parking brake, squeeze in the rear brake lever and with your other hand push down on that little lever that's at the base of the brake lever to lock the brake on. Squeezing the rear brake lever tight releases the parking brake.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:06 AM
Range Rover

That "clutch lever" is the rear brake, the big V has a foot lever and handlebar lever for the rear brake. The one thing you better get in your head real early on the V is that going down big hills you need to keep on the throttle abit, the V will go into a freewheel roll and the brakes will not help as much as you like, it is far better to give it alittle burp of gas every few seconds and let the motor brake this beast. Otherwise glad to hear you like it, have a blast!

Old 07-14-2003, 07:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Great post zZArAZz.. it is about time that other brand owners realize that the v is as equal as their's are. not tryin to start a fight or nething so if I do sorry in advanced... later

friesen

Old 07-15-2003, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

also I jumped over to bomb. forum and a couple of the people were bashin it. I'm glad that alot of the kawi owners are laid back.. later

friesen

Old 07-15-2003, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

Thanks MnFriesen,
Yeah the V really is very fast. I raced against my Ds about 10 times yesterday, also switching between both quads. If you can hit the launch correctly, it is quite impressive. I lean forward and give it about 3/4 throttle and then stand up and lean forward when the front comes up. I got it so I dont have to let off at all and it seems way faster off the launch then my geared down DS. I went for it and ordered the dual HMF pipes today in Black Chrome. I should have them on in a few days and hey are claiming 7 more RWHP on top end. For around $600, 7 hp is a wicked deal. The DS also spun a rut in my grass in every launch but the V just picked up and left with no spin. I think the combo of the lighter front end and the shaft drive with ITP tires really delivers the power to the ground better then the DS with RaZr's.
I just bought a house with 6 acres and I have a section that you can fit about 3 quads next to each other and there are only a few slight dips. It is long enough so you can wind out in 4th on the DS (14 Front 41 Rear 20" tires) and have time to slow down
If anyone near Columbus wants to do some drag racing let me know I think I might hire a dozer to come make it perfectly level and straight and buy a light tree
I could not ask for a better setup!!
-Repost from Bomb Section...

Old 07-15-2003, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to hear how you like the new pipes when you get them. I've been looking at the DMC Aliens. Either way I'll bet the beast comes to life and sounds awesome.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

I will post pics and movies when I get them on.