Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

DG Holeshot Drag Times on Asphalt

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DG Holeshot Drag Times on Asphalt

The recent module testing generously performed by Newbeetle and Dirtywhiteboy inspired me to do my own testing on a level, asphalt road to see what difference my DG Holeshot Module makes on my quad when compared to stock (I have an "on/off" switch on the handlebars for the DG Holeshot...which makes testing easy). I also tested to see what difference it makes to remove the small plastic front fender piece located just below the handlebars, which I refer to as the "air intake cover (AIC)." When this air intake cover is removed, it exposes the radiator cap and air snorkle intake...THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS THE AIRBOX LID.

Keep in mind that my P650 is basically stock except for having EPI black secondary spring and the DG holeshot. I also have aftermarket tires and rims, but my mudlite tires are stock size (25inch) and they weigh similar to the stock dunflops. My rims (C series) are slightly heavier than the stock rims. I should also mention that I apparently have one of the "slow" P650s because mine does not exceed 60mph on level ground (mine will go 63mph downhill). Because I tested the DG holeshot while on asphalt, I usually pulled a wheelie on each take-off...please note that I generally don't recommend others doing this because it can be dangerous.

The conditions I tested under were as follows: All tests were performed on a level, asphalt road from 7:45am until 9am on Tuesday morning (8/19/03). All tests were conducted going in the same direction (meaning the same starting place and same stopping place were used each time). The temps. ranged from 72 degrees to 79 degrees during the testing. The weather was clear and road surface was dry. By no means was this a perfectly controlled, scientific test...nor were these drag times done in real world conditions (I realize most of us drive on dirt/sand/other instead of pavement 99% of the time)...nevertheless, I tried to be as consistent as possible for these tests and I chose asphalt for the testing to eliminate the effect of tire spin.

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART....Below are my average times from 3 runs on each distance tested, and all times are in 4wd/high range unless otherwise stated.

100 ft times
no mod 3.50 sec. at approx. 32mph
DG on 3.23
DG on / AIC gone 3.31
2wd/DG on/ AIC gone 3.22

300 ft times
no mod 6.70 sec. at approx. 50 mph
DG on 6.52
DG on/ AIC gone 6.52
2wd/DG on/ AIC gone 6.45

Approx. 1/2 mile run to measure top speed
4wd/no mod 59mph
4wd/DG on 59
4wd/DG on/ AIC gone 59
2wd/no mod 60mph
2wd/DG on 60
2wd/DG on/ AIC gone 60

My conclusions from the above tests are as follows (at least with respect to my quad).
1) The DG holeshot module does increase acceleration from a dead stop, but it has no impact on top speed;
2) The removal of the air intake cover does not appear to affect acceleration nor top speed;
3) 2wd accelerates slightly faster than 4wd, but its not really noticeable unless you run at least 300 ft.
4) 2wd has a slightly faster top speed than 4wd.

The more folks that do these type of tests, the more knowledge we'll learn about our machines. So I encourage everyone reading this to do some timed tests with their P650/P700 and post them so that everyone else can benefit from the knowledge gained therefrom. In the next few weeks, I plan to do these same test runs using the P700 primary spring and the P700 belt (I'm just waiting for these parts to arrive from ronayers...the belt is currently on back order). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIKEYBOYESQ...Thanks man...it is interesting how close these times are to the ones we ran on the gravel... thanks for testing with controled & documented conditions, & reporting your findings in a scientific manner...WAM

Old 08-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

MikeyBoy,

Thanks for the info! It is good to have. Between yourself, Newbeatle, and DWB, you guys have given all of us some good information for deciding on the benefits of a module and any supposed benefits of one module over another. I give you credit for pulling the repeated holeshots on asphalt. How many miles did you wear off the Mudlites?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Adirondike,
I see that you also have mudlites...so you know as well as I do that these tires don't like pavement. I put in about 15 miles this morning during the testing...and 15 miles on pavement for mudlites is probably equal to 1,000 miles on dirt with mudlites...oh well, its all for a good cause!

Old 08-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

mikey,

Good information, but did you only pick up 2 MPh in 200 ft.

100' @ 32 mph, 300' @ 34 mph???? if so you need to clutch.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Mikeyboy,

No doubt you wore those tires down! I really like the Mudlites, but they do not like asphalt. Heck, my paved driveway does a number on them![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Shotgun,
Good eye! I have now editted my original message so that it reads "approx. 50 mph".