Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Painting Plastic ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Plastic ?

Does anyone now how to paint the plastic on my praire? I saw a machine in a magazine that had custom paint.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have yet to meet or hear of someone painting ATV plastic that held up well.

IMO don't bother.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen a commercial for plastic spray paint. I think it is something new and can probably be gotten at Lowe's or Home Depot. Otherwise, you would need to roughen up the surface with fine sand paper to make paint stick.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

you have to buy a flexable primer or a flex additive
to put in the base coat. unless you want to paint the
whole thing with aersol cans. but if you want to do
base coat clear coat use the flex additive and you wont
have any cracking problems.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

Buy new plastic no matter the cost. Aftermarket plastic comes in many colors. No matter how you paint plastic it will not hold up and it will end up looking like a polished terd.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes allot of work but YES, you can paint your plastic any color you want & even apply a clearcoat to it & it will hold up for years & years & years & will always keep that shine.
1st,You need to go to a paint/body repair shop. Ask someone there on how to paint your plastic body & they should beable to answer all of your questions. I would answer them here but it hasbeen to long since I had one of my Suzukis king quad painted to match my truck but I do remember that it was a project.
I do remember that the plastic has to be prep 1st, meaning all of the shine of the plastic has to be removed, all of the shine! The body/paint shop will tell you which type of sand paper to do this preping with. The Paint/body shop will then apply a heat agent to the plastic, which heats the plastic so the primer will enter the plastic, not just lay on top of the plastic. More plastic prep is required again for the paint to be applied & once again the the heat agent is applied & then the paint color of your choice, even a exact 100% match to your Truck, if that is what you want. You can request the paint to be applied twice, as I did but with more plastic preping & then follow up with the clearcoat. Do all of the preping of the plastic yourself & you should be able to keep the cost of this project down but let the paint/body shop do it all & you will pay for it!
I never had any problems with that paint job on that King Quad & I saw that 4wheeler many years ago after I sold it & that custom paint job still looked new, after 7 years!
Since those days, I havebeen camouflaging my 4wheelers or buying them with the camo already on them but I do plan on doing another custom painting 4wheeler in the future.

Old 09-06-2003, 05:46 AM
Pro Rider

Krylon FUSION is supposed to be plastic paint. its new. try a can on a piece of flexible scrap and see how it holds up. i havent heard.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

There was someone on here that listed a place in augusta ga. that will do it for around $400? usa dollars. I used that fusion on my snorkel it look great and has held up well so far with no major limbs. I not sure if it will work on fenders or not though.like bfb650b 2 said i think that it can be done but its alot of work. The place in agusta has a three or four step process to do it right to make it last. I've got some old plastic laying in the back yard if I get the chance i'll rough it up and spray some fusion on it. I would just be alittle skeptical about putting it on my atv's fenders though! It would be hard to get off plus you've have already sanded the plastic by this time so just remember it will take time and patience. Good luck!!

Old 09-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Most automobile bumpers are now covered in plastic, so any bodyshop should be able to help you with your task. I think it is mostly the flex agent that is added to the paint and primer that makes it work for plastic.

Like the others have said, the key to ANY good paint job is in the prep work. If the plastic is not scuffed properly or completely clean of any contaminents such as armour all, the paint will not stick.

The problem I have is that it will not stay looking like a new paint job unless you leave it in the garage. Minor scuffs in the clearcoat can be buffed off, but any scratches from tree limbs or from riding boots etc, will leave a scar in the paint/clearcoat. Then, spotting in over the damaged area is almost impossible, never looks good, and the piece will have to be completely repainted.

I like to blaze my own trails sometimes and I don't think that even the best paint job would stay looking like new for long! Good luck on whatever you choose to do!!

Old 09-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

The difference between the auto bumper plastic and the quad plastic is that the quad plastic is a lot more flexible. You definately need something flexible. Being an Auto Graphics artist, I have never seen anything that would stick well when being flexed. There are paints designed for the inside of lexan r/c bodies, but I don't know if they would look right on a quad. I have never seen a clear stay on with no cracking. Personally I wouldn't try it. I have turned down airbrushing helmets because of flexible chin guards.

Quick Reply: Painting Plastic ?