Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

GNCC Round Ten

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GNCC Round Ten

Just wanted to thank all you guys at this weekends race for the help, GE 4x4 for the pit stop, and Green Team for giving a pit location at their booth. Also it was great getting to meet DPH400ex, GE 4x4, Demon, and a few other members on this forum.

I also want to congratulate Adam Howell (green team) Doug Henke (DPH400ex), and Dave Henke for putting the V-Force up front and in the winners circle.

Out of 260 entries in the Morning GNCC Race

DPH400ex took 3rd Overall / First place in Utility Unlimited / 5 laps @ 01:56:25

Green Team placed 4th Overall / Second place in Four Stroke Stock / 5 laps @ 01:56:34

Dave Henke placed 12th Overall / 6th in Four Stroke Stock / 5 laps @ 02:00:43

These are pretty impressive "Overall finishes" for both the riders and the V-Force, considering that their V-Forces are basically stock quads, and out of the 260 entries that about 80% - 90% percent of the other quads are highly modified for GNCC racing. Great Job Guys!

I Hope to get up there and run with you guys soon also.....

I placed 87 th Overall / 22nd in Four Stroke Stock / 5 laps @ 02:16:04

This was my Fifth GNCC Race and my third on the V-Force. The track was wide, fairly easy, wickedly fast, and filled with allot of high speed rutted and whooped out sections. It was not really a technical track, but did offer some tight wooded sections that weren't too bad though. The name of the game here was to basically hold it wide open, and hope you didn't rip your wheels off in the ruts and woops.

I got a terrible holeshot ( just spun on the wet grass) and had a grueling 28 minute first lap. I was battling handle bar to handle bar and wheel to wheel, and fought my way back up to about 1/2 pack in class. It was like a ten mile MX race that first lap, and I'm convinced that a good start is just as important in a 50 mile cross country race as is in MX racing. That first lap took its toll both on my quad and me. My plastic is really busted up on my V-Force.

My second lap was my cleanest and fasted @ 25 minutes compared to the leaders running 22-23 minute laps. There was a really nasty washed out section that on laps one and two, I was able to jump over and basically clear. I also saw many quads crash big time in this section. However, on my third lap I wasn't so lucky, "I didn't crash", but I didn't clear it either, and hit really hard, darn near tore my A-arms off. I started to fatigue some durring the last two laps (4 & 5), and lost about a minute each lap. My upper body and especially my right arm felt unusually strained for some reason , much more so than any other GNCC race yet for me. I even mention to green team after the race, that even though the track was fairly easy. I felt it was brutal and probably my toughest race yet ( physically). He's like "yea" I thought it was easy... .."gotta love them young riders" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] (LoL)

I was even very sore come the next morning.......my neck and right shoulder was killing me.

Anyway,.... when I went to unload my bike off the trailer to wash it, and I noticed that the front seemed really stiff. So I washed it up and then checked it out, and found that my right front shock only compresses about 2-3 inches, and then just sticks. I think I either blew out the valve-ing or bent the shock shaft on that rutted out whoop section on the third lap. This would explain the beating I took physically.......I am sure glad and with good timing, that I have a shiny new set of Elka shocks sitting here ready to bolt on.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hey GE 4x4 I didn't post your results ...I could not get the PM race stats to come up for me.....how did you do? .......Also Adam , how did your brother do in the pm race?

The Team Green Riders had all new shiny rides for the race, and they also had the new Lava Red LE V-Force at the booth....beautiful quad..., but tooo perrrrttty for GNCC racing.

Green Team's (Adam Howell) also had the new carbon fiber hood on his bike....sweeeeet look'n, I have pix of his bike w/ the hood, that I will post soon.

Had a blast racing, progressively getting better each race, nice meeting you other V-Racers, and can't wait for the next race.......later tarrat

Old 09-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default GNCC Round Ten

Sounds like a good run for Kawasaki but I still have to wonder why a sport machine like the V Force is allowed to run in the Utility class! Just curious?

Congradulations to you guys for the wins!

Old 09-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default GNCC Round Ten

Nice report. I had 2 friends go there for their first ever GNCC race! 1 finished, the other (his wife) quit. She was a little intimidated by the over-taking riders yelling, etc. They will be back.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default GNCC Round Ten

Tarrat
I did all-right considering I was thrown off my V twice, and hit a tree on my 3rd lap (The Pro Armor bumper saved my front end).

You where right when you said the track was slick. On my first lap, I hit a corner to fast and slid all the way and hit the other side, which tossed me off. My V slowly rolled in the woods about 30' before stopping. Then after the second check point, I took another corner in which I slid into a rut and bounced me off. I should of put my Holeshots back on instead of the Bearclaws. The Bearclaws did not give me much traction in those slick areas. So my first lap came in at a slow 33:59. The second lap went good with no hick-ups and was getting a feel for the track, and did it in 29:27. So on the third lap I was going all out and was going quite well untill that tree jumped out in front of me. I thought I was all done right there. But the Pro Armor took the blunt of the hit, and it pushed the right side plastic just under the light, but the radiator didn't get touched. So there was no steam, the engine was still running, so I kept on going, and was still able to get a 29:32 lap. After lap 3, my brother was to get me gas, but I thought I told him to be at the same spot you pitted, but he was at the spot by my truck, which was right after the finish line. Well I wasn't looking for him there, and when I didn't see him at the Kawi pit, I was ugly. My fuel light came on right after I started the 4th lap. So the 4th lap, I had to take it easy so not to run out of gas. So my forth lap came in at 32:03. After I got threw the finish line to start my 5th lap, my brother jumped in front of me, so I was able to get gas. So being very tired, my 5th lap came in at 30:29. So I came in 22nd in the Vet class, and did 5 laps in 2.35:30.

Still had a great time, and I wished I met more of you. It was worth the 10hr drive, even tho the ride home bit the big one. But I will do it again next year.

DPH400ex
If that was you in that orange V, you were fast. I don't know what you have done to that V, but yours looked to be the best running and fastes V that I saw, and there were many there. Quite impressed!

Also congrat again to Terrat and Adam for doing well, and being good people to talk too. Hope to see you next year.

By the way, my brothers Z was down, so he took his son's stock Scrambler 400 4x4, and placed 8th in the utility unlimited. He would of done a 5th lap and done better, but ran out of gas on his forth lap. A guy in the woods had some gas to give him, but by the time he got it going, the leaders just passed him. But for a scrambler, he did pretty good.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Range Rover
Default GNCC Round Ten

It was nice to meet with you Tarrat, and thanks for the good words. Wish i could have met GE4x4 also but maybe next time. Its kinda cool being able to put faces with nicks now! And it seems that everyone on V-forces have been all nice people to talk with. C-ya all next time....

Old 09-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Range Rover
Default GNCC Round Ten

Yeah Doug all the guys on here with V-Forces are really nice except for that DHP400EX guy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Range Rover
Default GNCC Round Ten

Well that was my first GNCC race and I loved it. The V is the first sport quad I have had and have only had it a couple of months.(not to mention I'm 40) Was very nervous on the start. I've seen them rolled over in the first turn before and did not want to be one. So I went very wide and slow. GE4X4 I believe that may have been your brother I was banging on the back of on the first lap, but he slipped away when we came up over a bank turned right on a gravel road was suppose to go 20 yards and turn left back up into the woods. Well he moved to the left side of the road..I moved to the right the the big V shot past him down the road only to be stopped by someone madly waving thier arms 50 yards past the left turn that I went the wrong way. I turned went back into the woods only to hit a tree, and have my bike stall. After not restarting, and taking my helmet off I realize I had hit the kill switch. Loved the track except for those deep whoops(handlebar handstand), and that big grapevine that cluncked me in the head every lap. So after a couple of water stops and to chat to see where DHP(although when he flew by me I knew where he was) was running I was happy with 10th in unlimited. I just wanted to check it out and stayout of everyones road. I remember pulling over to stop for Adam to come by and I am glad because I would feel awful if I held him for a second as close as it ended up. But it was a blast.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default GNCC Round Ten

TRX500 quote:and that big grapevine that cluncked me in the head every lap.
That's funny TRX500....LFMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I forgot about that fricken G-Vine ....I was going to mention that also, to see if anyone else was getting whammed by it. There was no-way to miss that thing, and I hit it every lap..... I'd be like "damn that'll leave a mark"......

Yea GE4x4, I left that out about the track, it being so slick. That was fatiguing also, because you had to shift your lower torso constantly to compensate for the slickness....just like skating around on ice at times. I figured you would have troubles with those tires you had on.

I also wanted to return the favor and help you pit, but your brother disappeared on me. I was talking to somebody and when I turned around he was gone. I went over to the Kawy booth, cause I too thought that is were you were pitting...oh well maybe I can get ya next time....good job on your run.......tarrat

Old 09-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default GNCC Round Ten

So I wasn't the only one getting pounded by that grapevine. Thats good because I felt pretty stupid after getting hit by it 3 laps in a row.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Nice meeting you Tarrat and Greenteam. Wish I could have met more of you but maybe next time. Congrats to everyone on a great race!