Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My first ATV - P650, need help - please read.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ATV - P650, need help - please read.

Hey Guys!!!

New to the forum, new to ATV's and new to my new (used) '02 Kawi Prairie 650 V-Twin, from Canada, eh! and been reading your forum for a while - very informative, good job! I gotta say: "Why didn't I get into to this sooner - I'm having so much fun with this machine!"

I bought my bike used with only 150 miles on it and it's in mint shape, I paid $5100 USD (is that a good deal?).

Anyway got a few questions and I need your help (before the weekend) - I did not get an owners manual so forgive me if these are pretty silly questions.

I want to change all the fluids, can I use Mobil 1 5W30 in the motor? I've read it before here on this forum but now that I own my own machine...just want to double check with you all now? What about the rear axle/brake - can I use Mobil 1 15W50? AND, what is the fill for the rear axle/brake? When draining the rear axle the fluid glistens with very tiny silver particles - I suppose this is wear from the brake clutches - this is normal wear right?

What do you use and what's the fill for the front diff also.

What is best way to start these things, its just starting to get chilly here and already I have a hard time getting it started and keeping it running (until its warm), I think maybe I'm doing something wrong - I'm a newbie to bikes - need all the help I can get.

Thanks guys!!!!

Old 11-14-2003, 05:56 AM
Pro Rider

you can use any regular motor oil in the crank case you wish since it doesn't use that oil to lubricate the tranny.

the rear brake/diff fluid needs to be changes with a special oil otherwise you will cause rapid deteriouration (sp) of the wet brake pad. If i'm not mistaken the recommended oil is Mobil 424?? someone else can answer that for sure.

the capaciteis i'm not 100% sure on either but will check my owners manual and get back with you unless someone else beats me to it.

You can use any gear oil you please for the front diff if i'm not mistaken.

Not to sure about the metalic particles in the rear dif oil.

To start it in the cold slide the choke lever to the open position and give a little gas while pushing the start button. The big Kawi is nowhere near as cold blooded as my honda rancher.

need anymore help just ask. there are many more ppl more knowledgable than i am about the mighty twin.......but i help when i can

later
cartman308

Old 11-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Range Rover

Michaelanto, first I'd like to say congrats on your new purchase....you couldn't have started off ATV'ing with a better machine...word of caution though....that is alot of machine you will be riding(mucho power) and the price you paid is a good deal.
You came to the right place to get all the info you could ask for on maintenance for your 650.