Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Riding with holeshot mod. installed?? Can slow hard rides still be done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with holeshot mod. installed?? Can slow hard rides still be done?

I have a 03 650 prairie with the following mods done so far: Exhaust, Diamond G Snorkle, and Replaced the factory tires with Maxis Bighorn. I live in WV Virginia where much of the riding we enjoy doing is on steep hills and in areas that require slow moving with delicate throttle control. The rest of the ridding that we do is eithor very fast or mudding. I also ride with friends that have racering bikes as well and have recently oredered the Dalton Plain/White primary and a secondary spring for the bike that I am going to install this week. I have been thinking about ordering the Diamond G holeshot Module, however, I am concerned that this combination may make it difficult for trail riding on steep hills and rockbeds with the stoping and starting that are required and the slow moving. If anyone has these mods or similar mods and can give me your oppinon on how this will effect my ability to ride these type of trails it would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Riding with holeshot mod. installed?? Can slow hard rides still be done?

You won't have any problems. The holeshot is a great mod but the postings can be a bit exagerated on it's affect. I run 26" mudlites, DG Snorkle, Twin Air, 4 univents in the airbox and 2 in the cover for the radiator cap, and the black spring. I did run a red spring (Anyone want to buy it) in the front clutch, but pulled it out after I put in the holeshot module.

The holeshot really only affects the performance when you hammer the throttle. The reason is that it gives a few seconds of timing advance over the a stock CDI. If you are smooth on the throttle, it won't have much, if any, affect because the stock CDI timing curve will catch up to the holeshot.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 12-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People,
I installed a switch for my DG Holeshot Module for the very same reason you mentioned above...I don't want it to wheelie accidentally when I attempt to climb steep, rocky hills. I installed the switch on my handlebars plastic cover (to the left of my digital display). I've discovered that you can actually switch on the holeshot or back to the stock signal (no holeshot) while the engine is running...very convenient!

If you install a switch, just make sure you get the right kind (SPDT, I think) as indicated in the instructions. I drove all over Houston to find this type of switch (found it at a specialty electrical equipment store) b/c they didn't carry the "on/on" type of SPDT switch at my local autoparts or radio shack. It must be an on/on type of switch so that you can either send to the cdi the stock speed sensor signal (from the pink wire) or send the holeshot signal...you don't want a true on/off switch b/c it would not send any signal to the cdi if it was turned to "off".

BTW, I totally agree with Sgtrock's statement above in that you won't notice the DG holeshot b/c it only works when you hit WOT while travelling at 3mph or less. I can tell you that OCCASIONALLY I do hit WOT when travelling 3 mph or less when ascending steep, rocky hills to get over or past a tough obstacle, and those are the situations when the switch comes in handy.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

these guy's are right, it isn't going to turn your alraedy fast Prairie, into an uncontrollable rocket... IMO, the swich is not needed, unless you are letting everyone else ride your quad... you'll get used to it, & you won't even realize it is there anymore... I do alot of rock & hill riding, & see no reason to remove it or switch it...

Old 12-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

As newbeatle said, once you get used to it, you will have no problem with any type of technical riding.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wanted to thank everyone for the post. They where all very helpful. I went ahead and ordered the holeshot mod. today and can't wait to try it out.

Old 12-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

The holeshot is easier to handle on the rough because the extra little bit to raise the weight of the front end is there. You will find that you will want to adjust your throttle angle. As for the extreme climbs you have to be aware that it's installed that's all... My window on my truck almost got that story. Also stuff like better fuel milage and your fan will not run as much are other reasons. I though about putting a switch on mine but I felt if I was driving and I thought it was off there could be problems so I didn't put a switch on mine.

Old 12-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

The holeshot just fixes the timing retard that happens at 3MPH and below, as well as reverse.

If you drive your bike, start out with really light throttle and gently accelerate. You can feel the point where the timing is increased, and the power seems like it doubles. Same thing happens when you are slowing down (I really noticed it when putting through some brush).

The holeshot keeps the timing normal during that low speed portion. It doesn't give you any more power anywhere else. So, the only time you need to be concerned is pinning the throttle from a dead stop.