Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt Squaling...is it TOO late

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Squaling...is it TOO late

I have about 700 miles on my belt now.This weekend is started squalking on take off and when I back up now.Does anyone feel it's too late for tightening it up now?.Do they get glazed? I was thinking of just getting a new one and setting it up tighter from the beginning since I will have everything apart anyway.
02 650 camo

Old 01-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

if you are going to replace shims you might as well get a new belt, make sure you have a assortment of shims ready for the project. save old belt for emergency use. i would set it up to specs. a overtight belt will wear untill it fits and will want to stay engaged all the time, wears belt to fast.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

More than likely it is to late. Look the belt over and check for flat spots. If not wash it with soap and water and a scrubbing pad before putting it back on, If cost is not an issue I would suggest getting a new belt. Also clean the pulley sheaves with a good non petrolium based cleaner, like brake parts cleaner. Make sure you stay between 22 and 27 mm on your belt deflection, you can go a little tighter but the squeal at idle will drive you nuts and if you go to tight you will wear grooves in your pulley sheaves. You can check http//www.atvpower.com/prairie.htm . It gives great details on belt deflection and adjustment if you need it.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have adjusted my first belt three times over 2300 kms and I always waited until it started to squawk at takeoff before I did it (how else are you gonna know it's loose unless you pull your cover off?) I never had a problem with this method and my clutch faces look like new (blow it out every 500 miles or so). If you set your deflection back to 7/8 inch, you should be good to go for another 500 miles or so. But if you got the cash, I would do as these guys have said, get a new belt, set your deflection and use your old belt for an emergency belt. You can get four different shims from your dealer, a .6mm, a .8mm, a 1.0mm, and a 1.4mm. I had a 1.4mm shim in mine from the factory, so when my belt started squeeling, I pulled out the 1.4, put in a .1, and checked my deflection. It was nuts on and I was good for another 700 kms.

Old 01-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

kodiac1

If you've never taken out any shims in your clutch, you should be able to remove some shims to get the belt thighter. When I first got my bike, I put 1500km on the belt before it started squalking on take off. I brought the bike to the dealer and they removed some shims out of the secondary clutch. When I got the bike back the belt was a bit tight cause it was squalking when the bike was in gear, but if you put it in neutral, it would stop. After about 100km, the belt stopped squalking and I was able to put another 2000km's on that belt. Last weekend I went out and noticed that the belt started squalking a bit again, so I made an appointment at the dealer to get checked. I didn't know if I had any shims left so I figured I either had one more ajustment left, or I was going to need another belt. Well when we took the secondary clutch appart, there where no shims left, so that meant I needed a new belt. So we cleaned everything up, put one shim back in the clutch and installed the new belt. So I got 3500km's out of my first belt, which is pretty good considering I have 26" tires, due a lot of 2 up ridding, and always drive in high gear. If I would of known that I didn't have any shims left, I could of probably gotten another 500km's out of the first belt, but I didn't want to ruin it in case I had a shim left. I also didn't want to wear any grooves in my pulley sheaves. So I kept my original belt for an emergency, and now have a new 650 belt installed. I was going to try a 700 belt, but the dealer didn't have any in stock, but I figured if I can get another 3500km's out of a 650 belt, that totally fine with me.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I guess I will just get a new belt and be done with it.I am not planning another significant ride until March when we go back to HAtfield/McCoy.I have to admit it kinda pisses me off.I do all the right things......put it in neutral at idle,run stock size tires and almost always use low range.I also have never gotten water in it.The yamahas I had I NEVER worked on the belts.Oh well...thanks for the replies.
02 650 camo