Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 and its ability

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 and its ability

I think I can honestly say I do not understand all these people who say “IF the Prairie had IRS it would be SO much better.” I don’t agree with that at all. It would be different but maybe not better. A few weeks ago we rode the Hatfield and McCoy black level trails (while partly covered with snow and a decent amount of ice). They were VERY rough (rating this having rode in 9 different states and a lot of “hard/experienced level” trails). I had the Prairie get stuck one time (slid on the ice and pretty much stood it up on end on a VERY steep incline – had to winch it over that spot then rode it the rest of the way up.) Now after talking to SEVERAL people in the parking lots and town they all said how tough the black level trails were and how many of them need winched up with there even with IRS quads (Sportsman 700, Sportsman 500 and a Grizzly) It seems they were having LOTS of problems with the off camber angles and strange steep angled slopes we were transversing. They said it was very difficult and the machines were always ready to roll. It sure appears to me that with the correct riding technique, ability to pick the correct lines and some skill the Prairie will go EVERYWHERE these other machines will go with maybe the exception on VERY deep/rutted mud. Plus it does have great handling, a lower center of gravity and very good traction. The only reason I am writing this is because I get so sick of reading all these posts about how the lower ground clearance just “ruins all uses for this machine.” Heck if someone wants to complain about the Prairie feel free just be accurate. I don’t believe it is the best thing ever made, I would love to see one with a 5 speed tranny, 2 inches wider stock, and maybe 50lbs lighter…. Anyway I was just interested in what others have to say about these thoughts. I really don’t care what anyone rides, the whole thing is just get out there and ride what you prefer….[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

I have winched over the very same place, (trail 85?) while my buddy's Ricon rolled over him. I agree the Prairie
rules.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the off camber advantage. Also the 47\53% weight distribution is nice too.