Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota carb problem - again

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota carb problem - again

Hey folks-

My '97 Lakota is having a repeating problem.

All of a sudden, gas continues to poor out the bottom drain hose that comes out the bottom of the carb. I can't get it to stop unless I shut the gas off. I guess it's called the float bowl? that it's hanging from? It has a little screw that acts as some sort of valve (allen head screw). I took that screw out and put it back in. It seems to seal up whatever it's supposed to seal, but gas just pours out. Is my float stuck?? I don't know what's going on inside there and am afraid if I inscrew the bottom half of this part of the carb, stuff will fall out and I will have a mess LOL.

This happened once before and I had my dad take it to some guy that fixed it, but it's doing it again. It's been sitting up for several months with no action, if that's any kind of clue as to what may be going on.

Thanks-Mike

Old 01-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota carb problem - again

Ok I finally got the carb out (I think I partially stripped out the choke cable grommet in the process). There was a small amount of black dust in the bottom of the bowl, but everything else looks really clean.

The screw that acts as that valve of some sort in the bottom of the bowl is corroded on the end. It's not sharp - almost as if the tip is broken off, but it still has a seal mark above where it's broken off, so I'm wondering if this could be it or not? Does this needle screw seal up two different chambers inside? The round mark around it just above where it's broken off suggests it's still sealing up something - I wonder if the part that's corroded off seals up another hole??