Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Shift linkage adjustment - Shotgun's directions w/ comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage adjustment - Shotgun's directions w/ comments

I followed Shotguns process tonight and it works well. I think it's actually easy because it is more precise and gives you references to work with. Here are some notes I'll add to Shotguns idea:

- As you turn the shifter rod on/off, the shifter will hit the stops in the shift gate so make sure you give the shift handle some guidence.
- Remember that you need to be in 2WD for the rear to spin free.
- Make sure your rear brake is off and properly adjusted.
- Usa a straight edge against the bolts on the valve inspection cover to mark the shift rod when determining the range of neutral. Put the edge against the bolt heads so that you can repeat the positioning. (The range for neutral on my '02 P650 was 2.25 turns)
- Use care when removing and installing the shift rod, both ends of the linkage are aluminum and you can strip them easily.
- When you tighten the shift linkage, make sure that the joint over the trans is level and not tilted on the rubber bushing in the shift linkage. This is the ball joint at the rear of the linkage and it will twist to one side or the other if you don't wrench it carefully. If it is not squared up on the bushing - side to side - you'll continue to have problems.

Here are the directions from Shotgun.

"Jack up the back, so both wheels are off the ground

Loosen the set nuts on both ends of the adjusting rod. completely remove the linkage adjustment rod.

By hand shift the transmission into neutral by turning the shaft on top of the Tran. you will be able to turn the wheels freely when it's in neutral. move wheel by hand in both directions, so it will center itself in neutral. Mark this spot, and make sure it doesn't move from this spot when putting adjustment rod back on.

Without moving the linkage on the transmission, put the rod back on, adjust with the shifting lever in neutral position. turn on the key without starting the bike, the neutral light comes on.

Again, without moving the transmission from neutral, adjust the rod out until the neutral light goes out. stop as soon as it does. Now turn the rod in the opposite direction until the light goes out, counting as you go.

This is the range of neutral, divide the number of turns between the light going out in both direction by 2. This is the center of neutral on your shifter. adjust the rod that amount of turns.

You should now be at the center of neutral both on you transmission and on your shifter, which should put in the center of all gears."

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 01-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sgtrock;

Good information that you added. You really don't have to take rod all the way off, but it's the easiest way to explain.

Peace to you back

Old 01-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you that it's not totally neccessary to remove the shifter rod. It does help by taking any pressure off of the gear change lever when you try to center the trans on neutral by turning the rear wheels.

I marked the netural center on the gear change lever and trans for future reference and to verify that I was reaching a good center when adjusting the shift rod using the netural light. I'm not sure how the neutral light is activated/adjusted, so I wanted to make sure that I was using a good mechanical reference in case the light was out of whack.

Now that I have the gear change lever marked to the trans, I probably will not mark or remore the shift rod in the future. Instead, I'll adjust the shift rod until the gear change lever is aligned to the marks that I made on the trans.

The gear change lever is the key component that needs to be located correctly for the trans to be fully in gear, so I've made that my reference point. It's the one component in the gear change mech. that you should not need to adjust. However, buy removing the shift rod you find out if the gear change lever has slipped on the splined gear change shaft.

It may be worth the effort to removing the shift rod for the first adjustment, mark the gear change lever, and then not remove the rod on future adjustments. It is definately not required though.

If my terms are confusing, use the parts diagram on www.kawasaki.com and look at the Gear Change Mechanism.

Shotgun, thanks again for the good idea.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 01-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, good information you have. good idea on the marks.

I learned the hard way, just after my transmission went out.

Now I'm experienced, but experience come just after you need it the most....lol

Anyone askes how to adjust, I'll send them your way. later