Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Need help! Quick Carb ??....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Quick Carb ??....

The bayou I recently got, had been sitting for 6 months. Im trying to start it, it has spark, I think I need to clean the carb. It had a gas leak, so there wasnt any gas in the tank, but most likely there was gas in the lines and carb. Im completely new to carbs, what should I do?

Old 03-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

Also, there is only one fuel line going to the carb, is that right? There is a lower opening, which has the line going to it, and there is an upper opening, which doesnt have anything connected to it.

Also, what is the big cylinder before the throttle plate called? And what does it do?

I appreciate ANY help!

Old 03-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

few things you need to get it to fire...Air,fuel,compresion and spark..If you have all of these it should fire up..Check to make sure...Then if all else fails go too your auto store and get a can of starting fluid...take off air filter and squirt some at your carb...it should start or stumble...oh yeah try turning up the idle screw on carb..you might just need to get the juices flowing on that beast...

Good luck

Old 03-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Take a look at this and maybe itll answer what youre after, if not ask again. The petcock may be vacumn operated, does it have "pri" on it? or does it have an off position?
carb view

Old 03-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

My petcock only has an ON, OFF, and RESERVE switch. I still need to prime the fuel right? Is that big cylinder in front of the throttle plate a fuel pump or something? It is riding on a small rod. I just looked again, and I think the rod its riding on is the main jet? Im not sure, I looked it up on the diagram, and its a "needle jet"

Im pretty sure my problem is no fuel, and Im pretty sure its the carb.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

use the starting fluid or pour gas in the carb and see if it'll run

Old 03-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

OK, I sprayed starter fluid into the carb. I already tryed it, and it didnt work. How should I do it? Open the throttle plate, or keep it closed? Choke on full?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2004, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like you have a non vacumn operated petcock. The upper opening on the carb is the vent, and it should self prime by going to on. Check to see if fuel reaches the float bowl, you could open the screw at the bottom of the bowl, and fuel should come out the tube, at the bottom of carb.
If you dont have gas in the bowl, thats the place to start, check for plugged petcock, or inline filter.
Heres a guide to getting a motor started.
wont start

The cylinder, thats riding on the needle, is the slide.
Heres a link to carb 101, that may help you
carb 101

Be careful with the starting fluid, it can cause damage if used improper. Try just a small squirt in the intake tube, then try to start, choke on, no throttle.
If you have a way to pull the quad with a strap, like with a lawn tractor or another quad, try that to start it. Put it in 4 th gear, key on and have someone pull you around at about 7 mph. If you have gas, and spark, this should get it going.

what year and cc is that bayou?
Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

OK, I have fuel at the bowl in the carb. I put in some Berrymans B12, in the gas, and its flowing better. I have spark also. Compression is there too. Before I put the Berrymans in, I tryed the starter fluid, and cranked it over, and every once in a while, the exhaust would "pop", like it was trying to start. Ill go back out in a little bit, and see if the Berrymans has cleaned stuff out a little better. When I crank, there is fuel being squirted into the air stream. Thanks for those sites.

BTW, its an older Bayou, not sure what year, and its a 300.